U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 06:21 AM

26,661 posts, read 40,609,846 times

Advertisements

Walmart was doing well till now..their stock dropped this morning after their numbers came out!

I already had noticed that they raised their prices when the gas was high and never lowered them...Target did lower them after the gas prices dropped and Target had announced and did what they promissed and they lowered many prices and have many sale prices on food!

IMO most Walmart shoppers are people who look at the prices.....well I guess Walmart will wake up....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Status: "In my anti Corona hidey hole......." (set 1 day ago)

5,411 posts, read 6,440,693 times
wonder whats gonna happen now that gas prices are going back up? Target will be forced to raise prices again, and Wally world will be seen as stable. Might have been a good move by Wally?
I think prices will start going up across the board as things in general become harder to get.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:14 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,222,685 times
Where I live if you want something local its Walmart or nothing. There are a few grocery stores and depening on the item they may be cheaper, but if its an inexpensive item its not worth driving out of town for a better price. A lot of Walmarts stores are in smaller towns or areas with limited competition, which will help their business.

I've ordered things online as well from their site, since there is no tax and its shipped store to store for free.

But if their numbers are down its not good news.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:26 PM

7,859 posts, read 15,198,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
IMO most Walmart shoppers are people who look at the prices.
As opposed to what....people who buy without looking at prices? I think they call that stupidity.

This is just another case of the market getting their undies in a bunch because a company releases good earnings, but just not as good as the expectations. Same store sales INCREASED....not decreased, but the stock will take a beating because it's not what was expected.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:21 PM

86,068 posts, read 74,719,235 times
Compared to other retailers, Walmart is still looking pretty good stockwise and continues to make quarterly "profits" no matter how small.

Meanwhile other companies are projecting and reporting losses.
Monsanto, who doubled their profits also fell today over $3..so go figure.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:17 PM

48,509 posts, read 86,125,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Walmart was doing well till now..their stock dropped this morning after their numbers came out!

I already had noticed that they raised their prices when the gas was high and never lowered them...Target did lower them after the gas prices dropped and Target had announced and did what they promissed and they lowered many prices and have many sale prices on food!

IMO most Walmart shoppers are people who look at the prices.....well I guess Walmart will wake up....

IMO Target is for those who want less selction and higher prices on the same stuff as wal-mart.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:41 PM

5,670 posts, read 5,368,119 times
I enjoy shopping at our Target (for groceries). The aisles are very wide and clean and the selection is decent. They seem to hire a higher class of employee as well. I just enjoy being in the store. I would not say that about Kroger, Albertson's, or Tom Thumb (although TT has gotten a lot nicer) and certainly not about Wal-Mart.

Anyway, on Fast Money they said that it wasn't necessarily the miss itself (earnings were up), but Wal-Mart's total botching of their earnings guidance targets and restatements. The dropped a bomb and the the share price reflected that.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:48 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,538,014 times
Y'know that if people are out of work and have to live on savings, they can't very well afford much of anything better than Walmart to shop at ..... not if they have even vestigial intelligence and self-control. There just aren't many stores that can compete with them in low-end necessities, except for the occasional loss-leaders elsewhere. Even thrift stores often charge as much for used items as Walmart charges for new.

I'd say that Walmart stock would be a good bet to stay stable or even rise a little at times for the most part, if you felt you had to park some money in stocks.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:00 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,336,599 times
Their earnings are low because of the high wages, great benefit plan and retirement package they give their employees. Not!

Old 01-12-2009, 07:30 AM

26,661 posts, read 40,609,846 times
Or maybe they are over staffed? If you need something to find in a department and you can't find any employee, just go to the front and find all of them talking and laughing and having a great time...I guess the management isn't on the workfloor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics