Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 05:23 PM

7 posts, read 72,698 times

Advertisements

yea my state (MA) jus got triggered on an will start feb 15, an i got the first tier 20 total wks but my first 13 wks of teir one ended b4 11/21/08 so im jus trying 2 fig out if i will receive the second tier of the 13 weeks or if im **** out of luck

Last edited by spr1516; 01-31-2009 at 06:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 08:44 AM

5 posts, read 23,269 times
I have to agree with the massess that right now the jobs are just not there. If you have a job, hurray for you and DON'T do anything to mess it up. I work for our state unemployment office and I am amazed at the crazy things people are losing their jobs over and even more amazed that there are people actually quitting their jobs because they were unhappy or thought they could find something better.

In our area, construction is nearly extinct and not just because of the weather and seasonality. We can thank the mortgage fraud, and the people that got in on the "3-year" plans that bought their homes high, paid interest only and thought they could flip their house for a profit before they had to pay the full loan amounts and now they are stuck with a huge mortgage and property that is not worth what they bought for. There is a glut of homes here...no, construction isn't a good profession in our area at the moment.

If you need an income, you might want to consider starting a home based business. There are some out there that are legit and I am not talking envelope stuffing!

Old 02-02-2009, 08:43 PM

7 posts, read 72,698 times
yeah im a plumber an we r all like dead since no ones buy or building cuz no one has any $

Old 02-21-2009, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,100 times
Can somebody please help me. I have callled the unemployment office numerous times, and am unable to talk to a living person{ridiculous}! I received a letter in the mail telling me i am eligible for tier 2 benefits about a month ago{ jan 09}. There was no date on when to claim, and no specific amount that i would be receiving. I understand you have to exhaust your tier 1 benefits in order for tier 2 to take effect. I have just exhausted my tier 1 benefits and got my last check today{ Feb 21 09}. I was expecting this last check to have a date on when to claim but it was blank and my balance was 0. The first extension automatically activated on my last check so what is going on with these tier 2 extensions. Somebody help!! New Jersey btw.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:53 PM

11 posts, read 54,619 times
Hey, I had a question about tier 2, my husband is about to exhaust tier 1 benefits, he was allowed 13 weeks out of 20. He has called about tier 2 and the unemployment agency said he just had to keep calling marvin on his scheduled time and tier 2 would start automatically. What we dont know for sure and what I'm wondering from you guys is for tier 2, 13 weeks, does everyone get a full 13 weeks or is there a way they calculate how many you qualify for like with tier 1? Do you understand? Tier 1 is up to 20 weeks but all I hear about tier 2 is an additional 13 weeks, not an up to. So will he get 13 weeks and if not how are they determining how many weeks so I can figure it out?

Michigander

Old 08-28-2009, 05:09 PM

11 posts, read 54,619 times
Actually with a bit more of persistent searching I found the answer to my own question. This Link tells how many weeks you will get for 1st and 2nd tier benefits.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ui...0_240939_7.pdf
copy and paste into search bar

Old 10-26-2009, 10:36 AM

6 posts, read 22,833 times
I am in NC, the first % rate is 3.2 but 2nd rate on link at top id 7.3%. I just ran out of first payments and it says on my state site I am approved as of today. Does this mean my EUC benefits should go for 20 weeks plus 13 more, or if % dropps under 6% will I lose benefits? THANKS MUCH!

Old 02-02-2010, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,628 times
SuSuSushi
I under stand your situation completely. I come from a state producing business class aircraft. I have been in the field for many years. I guess I knew too much and/or paid to much. I was laid off for cheaper workers. I also have a 20 year old son that would love to work for fast food in our area and has been looking for almost 6 months. I agree people that think you can find a job anywhere if you want one, sure don't live where we do right now. Even if I could find one, wow nothing like a $23.00/hr cut in pay.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:36 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
obviously this cannot continue indefinitely:

"As ProPublica indicates, there are now 26 states which have depleted their trust funds, among these are the usual suspects including California, Michigan, New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio, which now rely exclusively on borrowings from the Federal government to prevent the cessation of insurance payments to recently unemployed workers. Currently all states collectively posses $10.7 billion in trust fund assets(with the bulk held by less impacted states such as Washington ($2.6 billion), Louisiana ($1.1 billion) and Oregon ($1.1 billion). On the other hand, 26 states currently rely exclusively on the Federal Government, and have borrowed a combined $30 billion through December to fund payments. ProPublica estimates that another 8 states will be insolvent within 6 months, as their trust funds also approach 0."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics