Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:14 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,936,669 times

Advertisements

Unemployment Extension is in 2 tiers. The first being 20 weeks and the second is 13 weeks for States having 6% or higher for 3 consecutive months. Total could be 33 weeks if qualify. From About.com: Understanding the Two Tiers of Extended Benefits (January 2, 2009) There have been many questions about the number of weeks provided by Congress through Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 passed on November 21, 2008. This Q and A attempts to answer key questions about the two tiers of benefits. How many weeks of benefits am I entitled to? Workers in low unemployment states are eligible for a total of 20 weeks of benefits, while workers in high unemployment states are eligible for 33 weeks of benefits. High unemployment is defined as a state unemployment rate above 6% for a three month period. What is the difference between first tier and second tier benefits? In all 50 states, those who exhausted the 13 weeks of EUC benefits before the passage of the new law in November are now eligible for an existing 7 weeks of extended benefits. These are called additional first tier benefits. If they live in a state with an unemployment rate of 6 percent or above (over a three month period), workers are eligible for an additional 13 weeks of second tier benefits. My state already has an unemployment rate above 6 percent. Why I am being told that I only qualify for 7 weeks of benefits? Workers in high unemployment states are being informed that they are eligible for an additional 7 weeks of benefits, but they expect to be told that they are eligble for an additional 20 weeks of benefits. The reason is that workers' must first run out of their 7 weeks of additional first tier benefits to be eligible for the 13 weeks of second tier benefits. Workers can only collect the second 13 weeks of benefits if their state is in "triggered on" when the worker exhausts their first tier benefits. (When states have the required unemployment rate, they are considered to be "triggered on" to the additional second tier of benefits.) Thus workers who exhausted the first extension before 11/21/2008 were only technically eligible for the additional 7 weeks when they first reapplied. How can workers know whether they'll get a second 13 weeks of benefits? Workers can find out if there state meets the 6% threshold by checking the following website. The current list of states can be found at: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Trigger Notice Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 05:06 PM

94 posts, read 322,782 times
Very useful information especially these days. Thanks for sharing it.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:45 AM

7 posts, read 72,680 times
if i got the first extenion the 13+7 will i get the second tier of 13 weeks when my state is triggerd on?? my benefits ran out 3 wks ago

Old 01-30-2009, 08:48 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,903,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spr1516 View Post
if i got the first extenion the 13+7 will i get the second tier of 13 weeks when my state is triggerd on?? my benefits ran out 3 wks ago
Don't know, but there are always jobs to be had if you actually want to work. Go get a temp job while you're looking for a permanent one. If you've run out your extension already, you've been unemployed for far too long.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:53 AM

u try 2 find a job in this mess being in the construction feild... NOT GONNA HAPPEN no ones buying or anything

Old 01-30-2009, 09:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,214,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Don't know, but there are always jobs to be had if you actually want to work. Go get a temp job while you're looking for a permanent one. If you've run out your extension already, you've been unemployed for far too long.
Don't assume there are plenty of jobs out there unless you've been out there looking yourself.

There aren't even P/T jobs available in the supermarkets. Each have waiting lists or better yet, they tell you to apply online but don't call the store and you never get a reply.

Wallymart and Target are famous for that..online only applications valid for 3 months..reapply if you don't hear from them but do not contact them.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
You gotta be kidding. You must be in a stable, very secured position and immune to what's going on out there to make a statement like this.

Spr, States trigger on for Tier 2 if the unemployment rate is 6% for 3 months. I am still on Tier 1 and received notice I am eligible for tier 2. My state triggered on beginning of Jan. It will be automatic as Tier 1 was, for me. You have to check since there is a lapse of time, but my guess is you are still eligible. What state are you in?

Old 01-30-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr1516 View Post
SPR1516, Here you go:

Updated Information on Further Extended Benefits (http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=elwdterminal&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Claimants&L2=U nemployment+Insurance+(UI)&L3=Information+on+Unemp loyment+Insurance+Extended+Benefits&sid=Elwd&b=ter minalcontent&f=dua_understanding_ui_extension_upda te&csid=Elwd - broken link)

Old 01-31-2009, 09:16 AM

my state jus got triggered on will start feb 15 so now im jus waiting 2 see if i get the paper in the mall like i did the last 2 times an its jus so damn frustrating waitin an not knowing if your gonna get the extra 13 weeks im jus a lil confussed becuAse my first 13 weeks ended in oct an then i got the 7 but im hearing somthing about first extension b4 11/21/08 you will not get the second tier an then im hearin i will get it becuase i got the first two

Old 01-31-2009, 11:35 AM

The reason is that workers' must first run out of their 7 weeks of additional first tier benefits to be eligible for the 13 weeks of second tier benefits. Workers can only collect the second 13 weeks of benefits if their state is in triggered on; when the worker exhausts their first tier benefits. (When states have the required unemployment rate, they are considered to be "triggered on" to the additional second tier of benefits.) Thus workers who exhausted the first extension before 11/21/2008 were only technically eligible for the additional 7 weeks when they first reapplied. How can workers know whether they'll get a second 13 weeks of benefits? Workers can find out if there

I see what you're saying, in bold above, your state was not triggered on when you ran out of the first tier. Maybe we are interpreting this wrong, I don't know but to me it seems like if you collected Tier 1, you should be eligible, IMO. I assumed from your zip you're from Mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics