U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

A quick house sale, is it doable now ? Tell me about the bailout, mortgage, recourse, loan, equity and home construction.

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2009, 08:23 AM
 
26,661 posts, read 40,585,083 times
Reputation: 14758

Advertisements

I recently spoke with a person who has a great job but is interested in starting a company in home construction and development in another State. (great timing ).

Because of that he will have to sell his house which he bought at the top of the market and which was way over priced not a very smart decision. He doesn't have an ARM and he has a very well paid job and no financial trouble (he has a nice interest rate) and no problem paying his mortgage.

Since the only desire of him is to start something else, he wants to bank to take the beating and sell his house for a lower price than the mortgage he signed....

He wants the bank to take more than $ 75 K hit on a $ 230 K mortgage....

What if all of us are starting to do this?

Shouldn't there be anything that the person is liable for....or the bank just denying him to do so...he can pay his mortgage and just wants out because he over paid...he doesn't need a lower mortgage or refi since he is more than capable of paying for it and wants to buy a huge house in a different State....

Am I wrong to think this is ridiculous if the bank would even consider to do a short sale?
I asked if he would take a judgment and he told me "I want get rid of this house and don't want to loose any money, let the bank take the hit"!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2009, 09:10 AM
 
19,089 posts, read 20,632,263 times
Reputation: 8353
The bank probably will not approve the short sale and even if they did, he is LIABLE for anything less than his original mortgage by either placing a lien on all of the owner's property (bank accounts, other homes, wages, etc.) or has to pay taxes on it (and his other income) like he made the extra 75k - probably put him in another tax bracket as well (1099)... so he is probably not going to get away with it like he thinks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 09:36 AM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,632 posts, read 14,225,904 times
Reputation: 2777
I don't understand why so many people think their home loan is exempt from recourse. If you short sell your home , you will be responsible , for the difference. It is most likely that you will not be able to sell a home these days if you are upside down on the loan. There would be no way for a clear title for a new owner , unless , you file Bankruptcy. Rules are pending for some easing on this front. Presently , a Judge , or court , can not restructure home mortgages on first homes , only on second homes. This is about to change , and , would be relevant to a lot of folks out there.
The next step , is to offer some help for those wanting to buy a home. That in its self would ease the glut of homes on the market , as well help those wanting to move , but can't because of their non ability to sell present home , and , at least break even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 11:31 AM
 
2,197 posts, read 6,812,297 times
Reputation: 1687
More and more people want to walk away from their old homes and into nicer new homes, while letting the bank take the hit. They seem to think of it as savvy financial planning, based on "what's best for me." The new administration's plan is going to enable a lot of this if they don't tighten up the loopholes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 11:38 AM
 
Location: somewhere over the rainbow Ohio
2,017 posts, read 4,884,917 times
Reputation: 1528
Notice what he wants to do after screwing his bank? Buy another house that is huge in another state. Sounds like the OP friend hasn't any brains at all.
Why would anyone in this economy walk away from a good paying job, screw up your credit and start a construction business? Does he think he is exempt from what is happening to everyone in this country? I shake my head at the foolishness I hear about.
Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 11:53 AM
 
19,089 posts, read 20,632,263 times
Reputation: 8353
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
More and more people want to walk away from their old homes and into nicer new homes, while letting the bank take the hit. They seem to think of it as savvy financial planning, based on "what's best for me." The new administration's plan is going to enable a lot of this if they don't tighten up the loopholes.
Yup... I am already telling everyone to take advantage of these loopholes... lol... the new adminstration wants to play socialism... let's play...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 02:15 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,632 posts, read 14,225,904 times
Reputation: 2777
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
More and more people want to walk away from their old homes and into nicer new homes, while letting the bank take the hit. They seem to think of it as savvy financial planning, based on "what's best for me." The new administration's plan is going to enable a lot of this if they don't tighten up the loopholes.
That only works when you have perfect credit , or , the property is owned or financed by the Bank. Banks are not lending , ( new customers ) even if you have good credit. I have been tiring to get a loan for almost a year , no luck. I have 50 per cent equity as well.( new construction , no loans ). Its tough out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 02:20 PM
 
371 posts, read 1,441,476 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I recently spoke with a person who has a great job but is interested in starting a company in home construction and development in another State. (great timing ).

Because of that he will have to sell his house which he bought at the top of the market and which was way over priced not a very smart decision. He doesn't have an ARM and he has a very well paid job and no financial trouble (he has a nice interest rate) and no problem paying his mortgage.

Since the only desire of him is to start something else, he wants to bank to take the beating and sell his house for a lower price than the mortgage he signed....

He wants the bank to take more than $ 75 K hit on a $ 230 K mortgage....

What if all of us are starting to do this?

Shouldn't there be anything that the person is liable for....or the bank just denying him to do so...he can pay his mortgage and just wants out because he over paid...he doesn't need a lower mortgage or refi since he is more than capable of paying for it and wants to buy a huge house in a different State....

Am I wrong to think this is ridiculous if the bank would even consider to do a short sale?
I asked if he would take a judgment and he told me "I want get rid of this house and don't want to loose any money, let the bank take the hit"!!!!

Well when his new business fails and it all comes to bite him in the a$$ he will think that he should have been happy to have a job and stayed put in his house that he could afford. He is crazy to make any moves right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 02:26 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,632 posts, read 14,225,904 times
Reputation: 2777
There are a lot of corporate customers that have had to back employees , cause they could not sell the house pending transfer. Consequently , some Companies are cutting back on transfers. Its easer to give a buyout , or a severance package , and , let the person go, when the plant closes.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 03:59 PM
 
2,197 posts, read 6,812,297 times
Reputation: 1687
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
That only works when you have perfect credit , or , the property is owned or financed by the Bank. Banks are not lending , ( new customers ) even if you have good credit. I have been tiring to get a loan for almost a year , no luck. I have 50 per cent equity as well.( new construction , no loans ). Its tough out there.
Lenders are giving upside-down homeowners preferential rates to keep them in their homes, while denying or upcharging those in better shape.

I'm going through a "streamlined" refi and even with full documentation (I'm talking four years of full tax returns and complete asset verification), I'm paying a full percentage point higher than someone else I know who's having his underwater loan modified with no documentation, no verification and no costs. They want to stop him from defaulting and they figure I won't, so he's getting a break and I'm paying full freight. The banks have embraced our new socialist economy with gusto.

With 50% equity, I'm surprised you can't get a loan. You have to document everything these days, but the banks seem willing to lend, if you're willing to jump through all the hoops. It's a bizarro world right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top