U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:04 AM

4,507 posts, read 8,183,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
As a seller, the last thing I need is some bloody customer lowering prices, or comparing prices or racking up the amount of hours worked for the goods.

Its not on and if you were in sales, you would also tell the OP to shut it and every poster on here who carries on this sick thought pattern. Ya know, all this talk from you lot means that you don't have the money to spend, the recession must be hitting yous hard.
Bwahahaaahahaaaa!! Sorry if I (as a customer) don't always put myself into your shoes and voluntarily overpay when I don't have to. How dare I compare prices to see if someone can offer me a comparable service or product for less or decide that some 'thing' isn't worth 20 hours of work and try to get it for 10. After all, it's not like I need to keep my money to provide for my family...I should consider your needs before my own.

And no, it doesn't mean I don't have the money to spend. I like to think before I spend so my money goes farther. This recession is nothing more than a ripple in the pond rather than a tidal wave because we've been in the mindset to think before we spend for many years now. It sounds like you resent that more and more people (your potential customers) are doing the same these days. Good for them. It probably won't stick but in the meantime you might learn some lessons and rethink your sales and financial strategy so these economic ripples don't throw you out of the boat!!

Oh, and just to irritate you further...
My kids already think in terms of the hours they work when justifying a purchase. Given that they keep less than 30% of their income for spending (the rest is savings, charity and their 'bills') the understand just how many lawns have to be mowed or hours they have to babysit or hours of general work they have to do to buy something they want. It really puts things in perspective for them and makes them wise consumers. They also have a greater appreciation for the things we provide and pay for...they know dad has worked many hours for what we have. They don't take those things for granted and, if they keep the way they are going, will be wise grown up consumers one day. I just know you hate that. Bwahaahaahaaa!!!

Last edited by NCyank; 06-23-2009 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 10:24 AM

7,771 posts, read 17,225,203 times
Craig121 wrote:
all this talk from you lot means that you don't have the money to spend, the recession must be hitting yous hard.
Your assumption is highly unlikely. Actually, the exact opposite of what you assume is far more likely. People who have the awareness to think in terms of how much of my labor is this costing me, seem more likely to be the ones who are having an easier time dealing with the recession, because we are already more disciplined/frugal consumers as a matter of habit.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 06-23-2009 at 10:35 AM..

Old 06-23-2009, 10:27 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,111,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
And no, it doesn't mean I don't have the money to spend. I like to think before I spend so my money goes farther. This recession is nothing more than a ripple in the pond rather than a tidal wave because we've been in the mindset to think before we spend for many years now.
Us too. We have been careful with our money for years.
Isn't it funny how soon people accuse others of not having enough money to spend. Sound like sales people.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:45 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,039,360 times
Quote:
As a seller, the last thing I need is some bloody customer lowering prices, or comparing prices or racking up the amount of hours worked for the goods.

Its not on and if you were in sales, you would also tell the OP to shut it and every poster on here who carries on this sick thought pattern. Ya know, all this talk from you lot means that you don't have the money to spend, the recession must be hitting yous hard.
So Craig, when you're buying a product you don't ever, ever compare prices? Yeah, right

And I wouldn't be so quick to assume that anyone who does check prices must be getting hit by the recession.

The people that have been/are frugal are the ones who do actually HAVE money to spend today.

From the tone of your posts it sounds like YOU'RE the one getting hit by the recession.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:45 PM

2,660 posts, read 6,151,295 times
Quote:

... if you were in sales, you would also tell the OP to shut it and every poster on here who carries on this sick thought pattern. Ya know, all this talk from you lot means that you don't have the money to spend, the recession must be hitting yous hard.
There is the seller side and there is the buyer side. Thanks for presenting the seller side (albeit your post above is very off, to put it mildly).

Let me just say that I don't think you will be doing a great job selling for too long with that attitude toward the buyer lol.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:59 PM

420 posts, read 336,241 times
Attack the POST, not the POSTER.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:46 PM

11,456 posts, read 13,032,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
What is the first thing you hear when someone tells you a price? "It costs XX dollars." At first glance, a number might SEEM enticing, but I think we should learn something from our bartering ancestors: use the value of our LABOR in place of just thinking of the price of an item in dollar amounts. No, I'm not saying get rid of currency, as any economist will tell you that it's extremely difficult to have an economy based on bartering.

What I am saying, however, is to use the amount of labor we perform over an amount of time and ask ourselves if something is worth it. I've been doing this for a while now, and I have definitely changed my consuming habits. For example:

Let's say you make $8/hr (like me... broke student, lol). You go to the mall with friends and you want to buy lunch. You see that it costs $5 dollars for Chinese food. At first, that may seem like a reasonable price. However, think to yourself this: that $5/$8/hr is equal to 37.5 minutes of work. Remembering how grueling that amount of time from your life was, is it STILL worth it? Sure, it may taste good, but will you be remember it in the future or is it just average? Is it an all time favorite? Etc. etc. It definitely won't last forever, so why trade in 37.5 minutes of your valuable TIME (which has more value/scarcity than money since you can't produce more of it) for it? Now, you go to the movies. It costs $10 where I'm at. That is 75 minutes of my life and labor to pay for an intangible movie. Will I enjoy the company I'm with? Is it a good movie? Why not wait for it to come out on DVD where I can own it, watch it many more times, or at least rent it cheaper? Last but not least, what about those jeans that are 50% off? Marked down from $30 to $15. That is 112.5 minutes of my life, almost 2 hours. However, I'll be able to use these jeans for a good 2 years if I don't wear them out. I like them. Are they worth 2 hours of my labor?

I think if we started thinking in terms of how much labor/time we put in to get our money instead of just the price tag itself, we wouldn't make such frivolous purchases or be so hasty to use credit (because we can use the pay rate to see how many hours we work to pay off accrued debt). Does anyone agree with me or am I just looney toons?
It is important to value the money you work hard for. Regardless of what your salary is. Those who do not are bound to be poor, or in endless debt.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:09 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,338,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
It is important to value the money you work hard for. Regardless of what your salary is. Those who do not are bound to be poor, or in endless debt.
There were many people like you who stood by that philosophy and still lost their shirts. What guarantee is there that you won't be a victim? Those that once had money now are living with the debt of living well beyond their means. For them I have no pity.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:18 PM

11,456 posts, read 13,032,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
There were many people like you who stood by that philosophy and still lost their shirts. What guarantee is there that you won't be a victim?
Who guaranteed anything?

Old 06-23-2009, 11:20 PM

420 posts, read 336,241 times
The only person that can guarantee something for a person is themselves.

Spending more then they have is going to be trouble sooner or later. I guess some people can't put savings and success in the same sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or