U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:29 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,338,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Who guaranteed anything?
That’s just my point. How can one who understands the value of money ward off loosing it? Lots of people who knew the value of money thought their investments were pretty safe. How does one invest money just by understanding its value? I am asking you this question because I have see so many markets go belly up and often times investors were not advised of the bad things that were happening in the market. It seems to that if billionaires could loose money, any one can. Is it best not to invest at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 11:34 PM

11,456 posts, read 13,032,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
That’s just my point. How can one who understands the value of money ward off loosing it? Lots of people who knew the value of money thought their investments were pretty safe. How does one invest money just by understanding its value? I am asking you this question because I have see so many markets go belly up and often times investors were not advised of the bad things that were happening in the market. It seems to that if billionaires could loose money, any one can. Is it best not to invest at all?
I wasn't referring to investing, but rather wasteful spending and poor choices with money.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I wasn't referring to investing, but rather wasteful spending and poor choices with money.
I agree. How many stupid people go to Las Vegas and throw away money for no other reason than it's chic to do so. How about the neighbor who goes and buys a BMW to keep up with their neighbors but has to work a second job to make the payments? My all time favorite is buying a house at least twice as large as you need it and then loosing it because a person took out an ARM mortgage after not being able to qualify for a traditional mortgage. If people could live within their means they would not suffer economic strife.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:55 PM

420 posts, read 336,241 times
To battle people living outside of their means, we first have to battle ill feelings and other peoples malice and hatred towards each other. Most people spend to make themselves feel better after encountering a problem such as marital arguments and getting low grades on a course you were hoping to do better on.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:57 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,111,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
To battle people living outside of their means, we first have to battle ill feelings and other peoples malice and hatred towards each other. Most people spend to make themselves feel better after encountering a problem such as marital arguments and getting low grades on a course you were hoping to do better on.
So it is others' fault that some people live beyond their means. Now I've heard it all.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
So true Craig. I don't understand the demand for material wealth. You can't take it with you and its grip pulls one away from the things that really matter in life like family and friends.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
So it is others' fault that some people live beyond their means. Now I've heard it all.
You live in Sacramento, I in the UK. Its different attitudes to different things. Some do live beyond their means so as to be better then how they were when they were younger.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:00 AM

9,842 posts, read 19,061,228 times
Im poorer then a illegal mexican so i try to compare prices the best i can. I would hate to pay $20.00 for something i could of gotten somewhere else for half that price. It has happened before but you do get what you pay for. I would rather pay $50.00 for something thats gonna last me awhile compared to something that dont. Many places & items are over priced & i just dont go there or buy the product. It pays to compare prices.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:19 AM

3,460 posts, read 5,071,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
When you truly understand the value of money, it's easy to invest it.

How much is a house worth? The easy answer is that it's worth what the market is willing to bear, but the real answer lies somewhere between the cost of construction and the ability of prevailing wages to pay for it.

If median wages are $50K, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that investing in a community full of $300K houses isn't sustainable.

Valuing stocks is tough because Wall Street plays a lot of games, but when commodities fall below their production price they're a good investment.

You can't not invest because of inflation, but you can use a little common sense to help you find sensible choices. The most important thing is to learn enough about your investment choices to decide whether your investment is worth the price. If you don't understand the true value of what you're buying, it's usually a good idea to hold on to your money until you do.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:15 AM

In the old days, things cost what they cost. Now, its gone to ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or