U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:53 AM

8,632 posts, read 14,236,136 times

Advertisements

I think to give a fair comparison as to what the average family needs , every month , just to keep the doors open , is , more important here. The country , the economy , is not driven , by some loaner , deep in the woods , living off the land. Likewise , more and more of us will have to reduce the lifestyle we have been living , now , and in the future. The Middle Class is what drives this Country. We make up the vast majority , that the numbers are dedicated to , when it comes to jobs , spending , and income levels.
I don't want to hijack this thread , but , lets have a more balanced perspective. I am not talking about what you would LIKE to have coming ether , or , what you DO have ., only what it takes to keep going , on a month to month basis. I think these numbers will give a more realistic view , of , the state of affairs in our economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 08:13 AM

20,521 posts, read 27,033,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I think to give a fair comparison as to what the average family needs , every month , just to keep the doors open , is , more important here. The country , the economy , is not driven , by some loaner , deep in the woods , living off the land.
If you are referring to my post we have always lived "below" our means. We chose to go off grid and try to be more self sufficient because we saw bad times coming and wanted to prepare. I would rather plan ahead than try to dig myself out of a pit when it has become too late.

We have also spent plenty of money this past year to help the economy. It just wasn't spent on frivolous things. We spent it on our home and land. Not clothing and entertainment. We buy things only if there is "value". A good lesson to learn.

So for your previous question about people with those huge expenses when they lose a job. They will drown because they were too dumb to save during the good years. They spent all they had and now they will end up with nothing.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:41 AM

8,632 posts, read 14,236,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
If you are referring to my post we have always lived "below" our means. We chose to go off grid and try to be more self sufficient because we saw bad times coming and wanted to prepare. I would rather plan ahead than try to dig myself out of a pit when it has become too late.

We have also spent plenty of money this past year to help the economy. It just wasn't spent on frivolous things. We spent it on our home and land. Not clothing and entertainment. We buy things only if there is "value". A good lesson to learn.

So for your previous question about people with those huge expenses when they lose a job. They will drown because they were too dumb to save during the good years. They spent all they had and now they will end up with nothing.
No , I was not just referring to you... However , I commend your for site , most people don't think beyond the end of the week. That goes even more so for the lower middle class , who , whether or not it was of their own making , are now , living off their credit cards.
Whats important to you , your land , your home , is whats upside down for most folks , the value is not there. The TV shows like DIY , Home Improvement , etc. have been quite unrealistic , and have driven a lot of people father into debt , with second and third mortgage equity loans. Now they are upside down , and , are beginning to hate all the " improvements" they made.
The upper class folks will be able to sustain themselves longer , they won't go hungry , they have some equities left. However , the bigger you get , the bigger you fall , I have been there. They won't have to move into a trailer , but , poor things , may have to downsize to a home with only 2 bathrooms. They may have to think about sending their kids to a community college , how dreadful !!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:43 AM

8,042 posts, read 13,488,875 times
I couldn't say how much we spend each month. All I know is my boss (and wife!) lets me know when it's time to cut back around the end of the month. lol One thing we did to cut back a little was to change our landline phone service. We can't make any long distance calls on ours now. Figured use the cell for that. Without all the little fees and taxes, AT&T has that for $23/month. We keep it for anybody trying to call us

Old 01-16-2009, 10:26 AM

389 posts, read 1,864,747 times
okay i win in the most frugal dept. bec. im used to having no life in my soon to be 37 yrs of existence in this miserable life.

0-27 years of existence my monthly budget is 0. my family owns a business. i just stay at home with no money no job and bum for 27 yrs of life. sure, i help in the business from 10 yrs old. but i dont have a salary.

28 yrs- move here in US.. first time experience to work at target. move back in my country after 6 mos. continue to work in family biz for free. i know im an idiot. it goes on for 3 yrs.

31- present- living in america again. just paid off my car during the holidays. so for the 2 weeks im off work with no pay and $100 balance in my account, i was forced to stay home doing what i do best.. NOTHING.

since i just pay off my car... my monthly expense is

$412-rent i live with my sis. so that includes EVERYTHING.

up to $150 for CC payments i use my credit card to buy EVERYTHING.

thats all thank you.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:42 PM

702 posts, read 2,834,816 times
Try to secure a job to wherever you are relocating first. Ignore the boosters who say it's not that bad in their state. This recession is brutal and is global and no state is immune or can be immune forever. The last thing you need is the expense of moving to find yourself jobless in an environment with no family or friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics