U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:43 PM

5,654 posts, read 17,625,730 times

Advertisements

I also think that such programs as the H1B visa programs have long outlived their usefulness and are unfair to the foreigners who use them as well as unfair because they cater to certain industries only... those should just be plain old abolished.

Face it, service jobs are poverty level salary jobs. These are the jobs that all the previous administrations have been crowing over creating... the corps will only be happy with american wage levels when we are on the same wage level as other countries like eastern europe. Where they have to get on a waiting list for a car, and they keep that car for decades (oh wait I already do that one) and they live in very small apartments and wear the same clothes everyday. And we have no pollution controls on our cars, and no epa so we can pollute the environment and poison the ground water and dump toxic waste wherever and have no osha regulations....

It may be inevitable, but I can't see much about globalization being positive for our country.

Oh yea, and about the cellphones. I read recently that the reason the cell phones technology takes so long to get moving here in the u.s. is that there is not one standard development platform like what was adopted in europe and asia I guess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 09:41 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,529,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BankREO View Post
I disagree that we can be a world economic power and have a service based economy. Production is the real wealth because its takes the real wealth (our resources) and make them more productive. That is actually value, serving someone else only is useful until they no longer require your services. That would put our outlook much more dependent on forces outside of our control.
Resources can run out, people can take them

But no one can take away your knowledge, and your skills can never run out on you

We just have to make sure no one can match the quality or quantity of service

Old 01-14-2009, 05:30 AM

20,361 posts, read 18,372,950 times
He stated the obvious and makes perfect sense so he must be some kind of kook. Seriously, make that man our business czar and let him pick who he wants to head the Fed, Treasury, Commerce secretary, maybe even president....

Old 01-14-2009, 11:01 AM

209 posts, read 549,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Resources can run out, people can take them

But no one can take away your knowledge, and your skills can never run out on you

We just have to make sure no one can match the quality or quantity of service
Lets hope for all our sake, we do not run out of resources or you are not going to like the world we live in. Also, if we didn't have resources then what would be the purpose of our service? The global economy is dependent on resources and energy. Your skills mean nothing unless we have something to employ them on. That is why it is important to be and promote in other nations, being self-sufficient.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
So, in other words, the big problem is that Americans are not inventing anything useful that our foreign competitors cannot.

Somehow, in my mind, this globalization problem is interrelated with the policy of 'recession-postponing' that we have been pursuing. Aren't recessions useful for structural changes in the economy?

I just can't help but think that globalization is inevitable, and the real "problem" is that we have done a terrible job of adapting our labor force to it. As someone who isn't too far out of college, it seems like we're producing an entire generation of lawyers, insurance agents, bankers, and real estate agents.
I agree, the lack of adaptability is a major problem with the U.S. economy. We lack the infrastructure in place that compliments capitalism and globalism at the same time. If we are going to let markets dictate our economy then as a whole we should have programs in place that allows people to take risks and if it doesn't pan out, they have the ability to retrain and get back out in the workforce and maybe find their calling somewhere else. We need to support a dynamic environment because that is the condition that is most beneficial when you also want to create innovation. As far as I am concerned, that is our major advantage over our foreign competitors. They may be able to produce something at a lower cost but they may not be able to innovate as fast as we can.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:36 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,217,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Red there were highly educated people who spoke up against this nonsense back in the late 1980s and 1990s. The problem was they did not get the attention of the media. My economic professor spent an entire session on globalization and NAFTA when I was a college student in the early 1990s. He said it would be the ruin of the middle class and our economic system. For the last 15 years I have seen his prediction come true. What can replace the lost jobs? The same jobs we lost over the last years. Remember Ross Perot? He may have been a crazy kind of guy but he was right about globalization.

Ross Perot was the only presidential candidate my mother ever voted for.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:41 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,217,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
So, in other words, the big problem is that Americans are not inventing anything useful that our foreign competitors cannot.
Well, anything American "invents" is reverse engineered and copied, sometimes before its even on the market. American corporations have accepted blatant piracy as a cost of doing business in order to employ cheap labor.

Thing is, some of this junk that is being reverse engineered, is helping places like China catch up to us at "warp speed". They are covering years of the technological gap in months. In the not so near future, Americans will have completely laid the groundwork for everything they do to be completely irrelavent. Our labor will be "too expensive" and our technology will be behind.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Well, anything American "invents" is reverse engineered and copied, sometimes before its even on the market. American corporations have accepted blatant piracy as a cost of doing business in order to employ cheap labor.

Thing is, some of this junk that is being reverse engineered, is helping places like China catch up to us at "warp speed". They are covering years of the technological gap in months. In the not so near future, Americans will have completely laid the groundwork for everything they do to be completely irrelavent. Our labor will be "too expensive" and our technology will be behind.
So protectionism will rise again and in the short term people will not like the increased cost of goods but in the long-term, having a decent paying job so you can afford these items will hopefully make up for it. I believe every nation needs to look after their own people's interest first and the most important is attaining full employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics