U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:51 PM

242 posts, read 674,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I'm just wondering how many people have experienced hunger and poverty? Have you ever been out of work and wondered how you could buy your next meal?

I have, and you never forget that feeling. It was humiliating and embarrassing and I was too ashamed to tell anyone. I would dream about food all the time, and try to imagine ways to steal it or get it for free.

One day, all I wanted was a cup of coffee. I walked up to a little coffee shop and asked for a free cup of coffee. I must have mumbled because the person behind the counter didn't quite hear me. He put down a small cup and said, "That'll be 90 cents please!" I looked down into the coffee and said, "I was hoping you would give me a cup for free. I don't have any money." He looked at me disdainfully and said, "Okay! But this is the last time!"

I walked away humiliated and sat down on the edge of the sidewalk to drink my coffee.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

yea, i grew up poor and due to a bad leg and an unknown ailment caused by food, I spent much of the 18-30 going from being okay to destitute and I was really skinny.

You get used to not eating much, but when you finally get to a safe place for a while you eat like a pig...so used to never knowing if you were ever gonna eat again, you ate all you could when you got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 08:03 PM

5,472 posts, read 21,912,192 times
As a young man I went through a tough period sleeping in a car, but found I could ask to work for food and almost always get something... sometimes more work than you wanted for a sandwich, but I never went hungry if I was willing to work.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:10 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,239,537 times
It occures to me that this is a very pertinant topic. Millions of people are going to discover the hard way that in the end all the fancy gagets are not important, when they are feeding the family pacaged mac and cheeze half the week. Some won't have the luxury of a kitchen. The lessons will stay. These people will never look at a nice dinner out for 45 dollars or a pile of credit card offeres the same again. I'll bet they'll be sparing at the least in using credit and become as stingy as grandfather (who also learned). In an economy based on spending what you don't have and putting off that rainy day this will be a very big change. Maybe in the scheme of things it is why this time had to happen since people usually won't give up a lifestyle until they learn another one.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:46 PM

3,454 posts, read 6,720,882 times
As difficult as this will be, we will come out stronger.

As for the lessons sticking with you, I remember my grandparents hanging used tea bags to dry for re-use another time. Toothpicks sitting on the counter waiting to be re-used (yeah I know). Bread bags hanging on the towel rack to dry after being washed out. Just to name a few things...

Old 01-10-2009, 10:49 PM

57,907 posts, read 76,880,876 times
i lost 50 bls due to food deprivation but not in this country. i never lost weight in this country when i came back bek i discovered i did not like begging and being hungry.
funniest thing i saw when i 1st saw an american welfare office, kids were throwing eggs on the the back wall. very funny, in france poor kids would have eaten those eggs. imposters!
woman in front of me yesterday poor urban type was 39 cents short on her gift card and expected the cashier to pay it, he did. why why should he pay it out of his pocket?

Old 01-10-2009, 10:52 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,503,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i lost 50 bls due to food deprivation but not in this country. i never lost weight in this country when i came back bek i discovered i did not like begging and being hungry.
funniest thing i saw when i 1st saw an american welfare office, kids were throwing eggs on the the back wall. very funny, in france poor kids would have eaten those eggs. imposters!
We waste a lot of food in this country, so if you're savvy, I suppose you could always find something to eat. You don't see too many skinny homeless people. But I ate in a soup kitchen once and it wasn't a happy experience.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:53 PM

3,853 posts, read 11,855,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
When I dropped out of Highschool and got a job at KFC and slept in my truck. I was able to eat at work and save up money. Did that for 6 months until I turned 18 and had about 10 grand saved up that a family member stole and I was **** broke again. I should have just went into the military.
That a family member stole? Where exactly did you keep this money? In a shoe box or something? Sounds like the family member is an a hole.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:54 PM

57,907 posts, read 76,880,876 times
Quote:
We waste a lot of food in this country, so if you're savvy, I suppose you could always find something to eat. You don't see too many skinny homeless people. But I ate in a soup kitchen once and it wasn't a happy experience.
i have eaten in some very good soup kitchens. my favorite st anthonys in san francisco

Old 01-11-2009, 09:33 AM

17,031 posts, read 27,561,032 times
I was selling plasma for food and rent while in school, as I was flat broke. I have been called cheap since then, but I remember how that time was and maintain than food and shelter are most important. Other material things are a very distant second.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:43 AM
HKB

220 posts, read 721,085 times
Quote:
Have you ever been hungry because you didn't have enough money for food?
Yeah. It was called "College".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or