U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 05:44 PM

3,460 posts, read 5,076,666 times

Advertisements

My parents had plenty of hard times while I was growing up, and they always managed to put food on the table without using food stamps. We didn't always have the best food, but there was always food.

When I went out on my own, I had some really tough times too, and there were plenty of times I was hungry, but I never got hungry enough to swallow my pride and go to the welfare office. Those times of being hungry had kind of a weird effect on me though. Most people don't like to go to the store hungry because they'll buy too much, but whenever I get hungry it sets off the part of my brain that screams to conserve money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 12:12 AM

242 posts, read 674,400 times
One of the worst moments, on ethat makes you wonder if you will make it... a Bill Murray one.

I was working a job in 85 making about 110 a week. I was paying 100 a week for rent at a weekly rental place. Eating was not easy.

So one week I am really starving and I went about the task of looking for bottles to turn in for cash. I got about 1 dollars worth and got to the winn dixie down the road. About a 10 minute walk from the apartment.

Decision. For that buck I could not get much. I decided finally, a dozen eggs or a gallon of milk. Which would last longer and have more energy. I finally decided on the milk due to size. I bought the gallon and headed home.

Back in those days it was paper bags and not plastic. I think you know where this is going.

I decided to wait until I got home to break the seal and drink up. It was a hot day. THe bag was getting a bit wet from the milk jug. Whoosh, it slipped out when I switched arms. It was slow motion as I tried to grab it. I missed. I remember trying to slide my foot under it to stop the fall. I missed.

Ka boom, it blew up upon contact.

I did not even stop, I just kept walking home and ignored the whole event. Next day someone brought donuts to work and later my neighbors invited me for lasagna.

Let me tell you, when you have not eaten much at all over a period of time, and then go a day or two with very little. And then you eat a big slice of lasagna and a big glass of milk, you get a giddy kind of natural high. Hard to explain, but you really get giddy. It is almost like being drunk.

So, that is my bill murray moment of hunger.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:24 AM

20,376 posts, read 18,390,859 times
You could ask people for money for the cup of coffee, or better, if they'd buy you a cup of coffee. If somebody asked me to do that, I'd do it and not feel the least bit skeptical if they really were broke or just scamming me. I'd buy them a cheap fast food lunch too.
I've been broke but was lucky enough to have family that supported my basic needs, food and shelter. Now I'll do the same for them if it ever comes to that.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:37 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,188,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Has anyone had a similar experience?
Yes. When I first left my parents' home at age 18, I had a really tough time making ends meet. I went hungry many times in order to pay my rent. I remember one day as I was walking home from work (since I couldn't afford a car) and I was so hungry because I'd had almost nothing to eat for a couple days. I knew there was nothing at my house to eat, and payday wasn't for another two or three days. My route home took me past a gnarled old apple tree, which fortunately had some small green apples on it which I picked and ate.

I lived on those apples for two days until I got my paycheck. I was very grateful to at least have something to eat, even if they weren't very good. Shortly after that I managed to switch jobs, into one that dealt with food and so I was able to have at least one full meal a day while I worked there.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:10 AM

732 posts, read 3,884,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
That a family member stole? Where exactly did you keep this money? In a shoe box or something? Sounds like the family member is an a hole.
They asked to borrow it and never paid it back.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:14 AM

8,308 posts, read 35,274,726 times
Quote:
I'm just wondering how many people have experienced hunger and poverty? Have you ever been out of work and wondered how you could buy your next meal?

I have, and you never forget that feeling. It was humiliating and embarrassing and I was too ashamed to tell anyone. I would dream about food all the time, and try to imagine ways to steal it or get it for free.

One day, all I wanted was a cup of coffee. I walked up to a little coffee shop and asked for a free cup of coffee. I must have mumbled because the person behind the counter didn't quite hear me. He put down a small cup and said, "That'll be 90 cents please!" I looked down into the coffee and said, "I was hoping you would give me a cup for free. I don't have any money." He looked at me disdainfully and said, "Okay! But this is the last time!"

I walked away humiliated and sat down on the edge of the sidewalk to drink my coffee.

After school I spent about 8 months as a congressional staffer. I had to quit because I was starving. Top ramen and tap water sounds like a viable meal plan until you've been dependent on it to make ends meet.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:37 AM

1,831 posts, read 2,162,712 times
Quote:
I'm just wondering how many people have experienced hunger and poverty? Have you ever been out of work and wondered how you could buy your next meal?

I have, and you never forget that feeling. It was humiliating and embarrassing and I was too ashamed to tell anyone. I would dream about food all the time, and try to imagine ways to steal it or get it for free.

One day, all I wanted was a cup of coffee. I walked up to a little coffee shop and asked for a free cup of coffee. I must have mumbled because the person behind the counter didn't quite hear me. He put down a small cup and said, "That'll be 90 cents please!" I looked down into the coffee and said, "I was hoping you would give me a cup for free. I don't have any money." He looked at me disdainfully and said, "Okay! But this is the last time!"

I walked away humiliated and sat down on the edge of the sidewalk to drink my coffee.

I never knew what it was not to be hungry until I was in the military.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:39 AM

5,661 posts, read 25,026,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
After school I spent about 8 months as a congressional staffer. I had to quit because I was starving. Top ramen and tap water sounds like a viable meal plan until you've been dependent on it to make ends meet.
Yep, the only time in my life I went hungry due to lack of money was when I lived in Washington, D.C. I had a full-time, entry-level federal government job, but the salary was too low to support the high cost-of-living in DC. Straight out of college and dumb.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:12 AM

1,831 posts, read 2,162,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
I never knew what it was not to be hungry until I was in the military.
In response to the question, "what happened in the military?" They feed you.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:30 AM

8,648 posts, read 15,645,956 times
Quote:

Dang Wolf, that's a very sad story. As a child I knew at times my parents didn't have a lot in the home to eat but they made sure I ate. But as an adult I was never out of work, I guess I was lucky.

But I never forgot about that childhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or