U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:37 AM

8,648 posts, read 15,638,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
There is no excuse for anyone in this country to go hungry, beg for food, or eat out of dumpsters.
The USDA has a good Food Stamp program and there are plenty of free food distribution programs sponsored by charitable and social service organizations.

If someone can't survive using the available resources, they probably need to be institutionalized.
When my family was sort of down and out when I was a kid there were no food stamps of any kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 09:03 AM

5,500 posts, read 20,508,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
In response to the question, "what happened in the military?" They feed you.
Oh, sorry, I didn't read the question right. So you had to join the military to get enough food in your belly. Well, I guess that's why a lot of young men and women join the armed forces. They are looking for a better life -- and of course, all those great commercials.

Last edited by Woof Woof Woof!; 01-12-2009 at 09:45 AM..

Old 01-12-2009, 09:37 AM

1,730 posts, read 4,206,583 times
Without going into detail I will admit to having been so hungry I would have eaten garbage if I could have found it. Let's just say I was living in a bad situation as an 11 to 12 year old and when my life finally changed for the better I was 5'5 and 83 lbs. As a result of this I tend to hoard food somewhat. My pantry and fridge and freezer are always full but unfortunately I still have some issues so most of that food either ends up expiring or donated as I rarely eat any of it. Not that I have an eating disorder, I just tend to eat the same foods most of the time. I just like having lots of variety around as I guess it makes me feel safe.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:03 PM

5,670 posts, read 5,374,804 times
This isn't really a starvation story, but it's food related. My first apartment after I was homeless was awful. $200/month all bills paid and overpriced at that. This was 1993 or 94 as I recall.

The roaches were so bad I swear I once woke up to one munching on my eardrum. They weren't usually the huge furniture-mover roaches (although I had some of those too), they were the smaller, plentiful, immune to fogger, not scared of people kind. They would get into any food I left out. So all my food, everything, which wasn't much, but everything went into the fridge. Now, the fridge didn't actually work -- it cooled things to the high 50s at best -- but it did protect the food from the roaches.

When I got a non-roach-infested place later, I still put EVERYTHING in the fridge (which worked). I still today sometimes find myself putting things in the fridge that can go in the pantry and I tend to store more open things, like cereal boxes, in the fridge.

The apartment also leaked in several places. Never rent or buy a place with a flat roof. One week the slumlord finally decided to fix the leaking ceilings. But the crew didn't finish it by Friday. They left. We had a torrential rainstorm that Saturday. Several HUNDRED gallons came into my apartment. I tried to catch a lot of it in large trash barrels. Everything I owned, which wasn't much, was soaked and/or ruined. The landlord did not come and dry it up for a few days. Then he wanted to blame me for not drying it myself. Wow!

I still have dreams about roaches, and leaking ceilings, and 24 hour Tejano music keeping me awake.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I still have dreams about roaches, and leaking ceilings, and 24 hour Tejano music keeping me awake.
That's really bad. I still have dreams about living in dumpy apartments, too. Slumlords are not uncommon. I've put up with a lot in the places I've lived.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:35 PM

3,440 posts, read 7,378,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I'm just wondering how many people have experienced hunger and poverty? Have you ever been out of work and wondered how you could buy your next meal?

I have, and you never forget that feeling. It was humiliating and embarrassing and I was too ashamed to tell anyone. I would dream about food all the time, and try to imagine ways to steal it or get it for free.

One day, all I wanted was a cup of coffee. I walked up to a little coffee shop and asked for a free cup of coffee. I must have mumbled because the person behind the counter didn't quite hear me. He put down a small cup and said, "That'll be 90 cents please!" I looked down into the coffee and said, "I was hoping you would give me a cup for free. I don't have any money." He looked at me disdainfully and said, "Okay! But this is the last time!"

I walked away humiliated and sat down on the edge of the sidewalk to drink my coffee.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

I was surfing this thread in a good mood then I came across this post and my mood changed to a serious one and my hairs stood up after I read all the post because I know all too well what hunger and struggling is like. Throughout my entire life I have known what it's like to be hungry and to be poor. Despite all that, being poor in the U.S is NOTHING compared to people in other countries.

With that being said, in my younger days of being poor I blame my father for it. As the story goes, my father kicked me and my mom out on the streets in the early 80s; literally, bags and everything. My mom was a good women and over time she has proved that she was a good woman now that I'm in my late 20s and can look back.

Luckily my mom was able to move back in with her mom but that was about all the help she got then her mom, which would be my grandma then died. My mom would work 3 jobs some times and we would be on food stamps just to be able to eat. It was NORMAL to live a few days off of Oodles of Noodles. My mom did all she could to raise me and and my mom always put me first over other men who would try to date her after the divorce; so because of that, she is my hero.

Now that I'm a man I have the responsibly now to feed myself and even though I do a much better job of feeding myself I can tell you that when your coming from poverty level to raise your standard of living your going to go through some hard times; plain and simple. Unless of course, you hop and skip into an athlete which I was trying to do..

More or less, I started a business out of the trunk of my car in California and because I had no capitol I decided to quit my job, quit paying rent and work my business from out of my car. I have seen it all my life, there is no end to a job your just a human resource and it's better to work for yourself in the long run unless your dad is a Yale alumni and your in with the masons.

There were a FEW times were I did not have enough money to eat but that was never really the problem because my business generated quick fast money. The problem was I did not have a big enough costumer base to pay rent, so I slept out of my car for a total of 2 years.

Times were ruff but I found ways to survive. I would use the heat of my engine to cook my Trader Joe's food, I would sleep in gated communities in the hills so I would not worry about being on the street overnight, I would shower at two HUGE collage campuses that were always open, I would lift weight there too so i could stay in shape. Spent a lot of time reading in book stores as well which is where I met my x girlfriend who I later bring up in this post.

Ha, NONE of my customers had no idea I was homeless because I was always groomed, clean and professional. Dated a stock brokers daughter for about a year (parents never found out, and they loved me) and one time my business took care of one of the CEO's of Disney who was making well over 1 million a year in Burbank, Ca.

Anyway, sorry about this long winded post, but, trust me, this is a COLD world especially in certain regions of the States like California. If your a young guy and you don't have any money, even your own "so called" friends will place you on the curb for pick up. Ha, thats a hole different story.

I would say California is the worse place to be poor "in the states" and to add one more thing its not always as bad as you think you just haft to use your brain and not panic when in times of distress. There are always legit ways to make a hussle on the side to feed yourself, most people, (including myself at times) just don't want to do it OR you don't know HOW to analyze the market and give people what they need. If you can figure out what people need, instead of always trying to buy what you want, you should always have money in your pocket!!

Last edited by Morphous01; 01-12-2009 at 10:49 PM..

Old 01-12-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
...this is a COLD world especially in certain regions of the States like California. If your a young guy and you don't have any money, even your own "so called" friends...
I agree. And in times of need, you learn quick who your friends are. Sometimes they aren't your friends at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
... you think you just haft to use your brain and not panic when in times of distress. There are always legit ways to make a hussle on the side to feed yourself....
Yes, and the young are especially resilient! Bit of a drag when you are middle aged.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:06 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,550,057 times
I've never gone very hungry that I can remember, but sometimes I had to get by on dumpster food, soup kitchens, or food pantries.

I'm now living near large wilderness areas, so in a pinch I could hunt, fish, and gather. In fact I should be doing that right now for my health, nothing better than lean meat and a buncha greens for good health, but there are anti-poaching laws and anyways I hate killing animals unless I really have to.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:50 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,248,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
You could ask people for money for the cup of coffee, or better, if they'd buy you a cup of coffee. If somebody asked me to do that, I'd do it and not feel the least bit skeptical if they really were broke or just scamming me. I'd buy them a cheap fast food lunch too.
I've been broke but was lucky enough to have family that supported my basic needs, food and shelter. Now I'll do the same for them if it ever comes to that.
There was a Burger King near the shelter where I was staying. The manager knew that many of his "customers" came from across the freeway, but it didn't get much walk in business. People weren't dirty or disruptive and you could sit for three hours on one cup of coffee filled endlessly. On rainy days people hung out there all day for the cost of a cheap hamburger.

I sometimes still can't believe I slept on a hard floor with a thin mat (and my own layers of pillows) for six month in a room with fifty people. But at least I had a safe place to sleep and was clean. Since getting out of that situation I just can't go to that area anymore.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:15 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,248,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
Without going into detail I will admit to having been so hungry I would have eaten garbage if I could have found it. Let's just say I was living in a bad situation as an 11 to 12 year old and when my life finally changed for the better I was 5'5 and 83 lbs. As a result of this I tend to hoard food somewhat. My pantry and fridge and freezer are always full but unfortunately I still have some issues so most of that food either ends up expiring or donated as I rarely eat any of it. Not that I have an eating disorder, I just tend to eat the same foods most of the time. I just like having lots of variety around as I guess it makes me feel safe.
buy a second storage pantry. Use out of one, replace out of the other. This is how the survial people reccomend. Buy more of the stuff you eat most of the time and less of the variety. Donating is wonderful too.

I think more people who have never had the experience of needing and not having would remember that rainy day too. Those who have are will be the lucky ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or