U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 02:33 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,268,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I still have dreams about roaches, and leaking ceilings, and 24 hour Tejano music keeping me awake.
One place I stayed during an earlier emergency was in the middle of a field. It was overrun by field mice. They tore up clothes, ripped up food and ran around the room while you were sleeping. To this day I cannot stand the smell of rodents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 04:29 PM

8,632 posts, read 14,252,611 times
There are all sorts of ways to keep from being hungry. For most people its all about priorities. If I were that bad off ever , I would save for food , have some money in the pocket , rather than pay 800.00 for an apartment rent. There is a point , when you begin to see the hand writing on the wall , and , survival kicks in, or , it should anyway. There is little reason to have a few thousand one week , and , the next be flat broke.........never spend your last dollar , thats all I have to say....

Old 01-13-2009, 05:50 PM

947 posts, read 2,885,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
There are all sorts of ways to keep from being hungry. For most people its all about priorities. If I were that bad off ever , I would save for food , have some money in the pocket , rather than pay 800.00 for an apartment rent. There is a point , when you begin to see the hand writing on the wall , and , survival kicks in, or , it should anyway. There is little reason to have a few thousand one week , and , the next be flat broke.........never spend your last dollar , thats all I have to say....

Priorities - Roof over your head or food? Rent pmt or food? Mtg pmt or food? Electricity or food? Water bill or food? Gas for car to get to work or food? Car pmt to get to work or food? Medicine or food? Bus Fare or food? Heat bill or food?

It's going to be rough for a lot of people and I read an article in the paper that food donations are getting slim.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:01 PM

8,632 posts, read 14,252,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post
Priorities - Roof over your head or food? Rent pmt or food? Mtg pmt or food? Electricity or food? Water bill or food? Gas for car to get to work or food? Car pmt to get to work or food? Medicine or food? Bus Fare or food? Heat bill or food?

It's going to be rough for a lot of people and I read an article in the paper that food donations are getting slim.
I meant to say , " your last hundred , taped to the inside of your under pants "

Old 01-13-2009, 08:25 PM

5,654 posts, read 17,634,847 times
The problem is, in many areas, the reasonable rent apartments are in unsafe areas? Do you choose eating over personal safety? a problem...

Yes, in college I was ramen noodle broke. Peanut butter and jelly, eggs, and ramens. I got real sick once and I was convinced it was from not eating right. Just couldn't shake it to get well. I needed multi-vitamins... I always take them now. I do remember always envying the kids whose parents sent them care packages with food in them. My parents - no - ever. They were just real cheap. Gramma sent me stuff though... once a bunch of those cheesey peanut snack crackers. Lived on those for a month! I always think of her when I eat those.

When my kids go to college, I am darn well making sure they are eating right if they go away.

And yes, it is real sad. I work with my church for the food pantry all the time and give donations.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:40 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,667,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I'm just wondering how many people have experienced hunger and poverty? Have you ever been out of work and wondered how you could buy your next meal?

I have, and you never forget that feeling. It was humiliating and embarrassing and I was too ashamed to tell anyone. I would dream about food all the time, and try to imagine ways to steal it or get it for free.

One day, all I wanted was a cup of coffee. I walked up to a little coffee shop and asked for a free cup of coffee. I must have mumbled because the person behind the counter didn't quite hear me. He put down a small cup and said, "That'll be 90 cents please!" I looked down into the coffee and said, "I was hoping you would give me a cup for free. I don't have any money." He looked at me disdainfully and said, "Okay! But this is the last time!"

I walked away humiliated and sat down on the edge of the sidewalk to drink my coffee.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
I was on call and I was busy all night. I was tired, thirsty and hungry.

I had a 20 dollar bill and the machines don't take anything bigger than a 5 dollar bill. Money means nothing if it's not in the right form.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:54 AM

15,405 posts, read 21,822,161 times
I can honestly say that I have never been anywhere near that position. I grew up pretty decent and have continued to live a good life. I really feel for the people who have nothing or close to nothing. I just hope they have the faith to believe that something better is waiting for them..

Old 01-14-2009, 02:21 PM

34,937 posts, read 44,494,618 times
No, but I looked at my Social Security lifetime earnings statement today, $3100 in 1983, out of the Navy, laid off from work, pregnant wife, poor health insurance, she wasn't hired at a couple places because of the pregnancy, couldn't qualify for WIC. Good thing I am/was a good shot and venison can be cooked so no one knows it's not beef.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:10 PM

43,857 posts, read 45,554,548 times
Have you ever been hungry because you didn't have enough money for food?
I sure have. I had just gotten a divorce and was still foolishly thinking I was going to get child support while I was waiting for my first paycheck. Anyway, the kids were young and all I had was a variety of noodles on hand. I first had them glue some noodles on paper hats....then they got to eat the same kind of noodles on their plate. I called it the Noodle Party.

The next day I got off the pride wagon and called my parents to ask for financial help until I got my first paycheck.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:02 PM

3,966 posts, read 9,629,594 times
I am a minimalist. I eat what im required and try to avoid collecting up unnecessary food or "stuff." My wife on the other hand is the exact opposite and I am slowly making her a minimalist because she doesn't understand what its like to be at a point in your life and realize you just ate out of a dumpster because you were hungry. When you are that hungry, your stomach feels like its eating itself. At a point in your life where buying piles upon piles of useless plastic garbage doesn't help anyone but yourself.

I learned how to live as a minimalist from my father. He would throw away useless **** that wasn't needed or keep food at all times. Taught me how to plant a tree, some tomatoes, ect.

The only thing i hate about the west coast and American cities is everything is so spread apart and getting any kind of groceries is a ridiculous task
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or