Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:18 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times

Advertisements

I think it's good for you to be really really broke at least at some point in your life. I grew up in the 70s and the economy and inflation made things not so good then. We weren't hungry but I never had a steak til I was in college. (at a banquet hall). hamburger and/or chicken every night. And a lot of meatless dishes. Then college I worked but as most people know, all your money goes to college (books, tuition, etc.)

It humbles you, and you realize that it could all happen all over again. It makes you work your buns off wherever you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 10:46 AM

917 posts, read 2,299,188 times
Sure have.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:34 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Some of these stories break my heart. We haven't been that low before, knock wood, but there were a few times we had to scrounge through the house for change so we could buy a couple of boxes of mac and cheese or ramen. Getting excited because I remembered seeing a dime in the washing machine. I saved the receipts for everything and would return items to the grocery store--a can of tomatoes I didn't need right away, or something like that--in order to get a few bucks together for food or gas. We are fortunate to have relatives who would help us if we asked, but most of that time we were just ashamed of being so broke.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:00 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,981 times
I've never been too short on cash to worry about food money, but always carry some extra $20s when I go to Baltimore's Inner Harbor to give to the folks who need a hand. There, by the grace of God, go I - I help out where I can, it is not my place to judge other folks. We all need to help one another as best we can.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
yes in front of me in walmart line recently. gal came with a gift card it was short instead of paying the difference she told the clerk she left her purse in car its was 39 cents expected the clerk to pay and she did-- out of her own pocket, did not even say thank you. that is the difference, i have been down and out but when i got something it was not bek i felt they owed me i was delighted and surprised.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:04 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,769,773 times
I lived in my pick up in 1981 in Denver CO and I had a job but not enough to live anywhere. When money ran out I would get so hungry for days that I would go into grocery store and drink cold water from fountain until I was very full. That was my meal and the sad thing was my family would not help at all, said it was my fault but I never let myself get in that situation again.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:55 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I'm just wondering how many people have experienced hunger and poverty? Have you ever been out of work and wondered how you could buy your next meal?

I have, and you never forget that feeling. It was humiliating and embarrassing and I was too ashamed to tell anyone. I would dream about food all the time, and try to imagine ways to steal it or get it for free.

One day, all I wanted was a cup of coffee. I walked up to a little coffee shop and asked for a free cup of coffee. I must have mumbled because the person behind the counter didn't quite hear me. He put down a small cup and said, "That'll be 90 cents please!" I looked down into the coffee and said, "I was hoping you would give me a cup for free. I don't have any money." He looked at me disdainfully and said, "Okay! But this is the last time!"

I walked away humiliated and sat down on the edge of the sidewalk to drink my coffee.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
Yes, it has happened to me. Back around '98. In '94 I had 4 cars, a house and a bank account. By '98, after being downsized a few times I was down to $400 and 1 car left.

I can remember living on some pasta and tea I had in the cupboard... then on day I actually got dizzy.

Luckily work came through and I got going again. But here 10 years later, I find I may be facing the same situation before too long.

In any event, I can remember nailing a candy jar back then that was where I was working, LOL!

Old 01-29-2009, 01:30 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Pilgrim21784: Giving $20 bills away to the homeless? You must now be rich based on the Indian theory: Give $10 away and $30 will come back to you, IN SOME FORM or another. BUT, you must give expecting nothing back in return, if you DO expect something back from your giving, then that falls into the heading of Bartering. That's the key! Being in need, giving to others--among the greatest highs you can receive in life. As they say in the Far East, when you give something to someone, you THANK THEM for receiving your gift, no thank-you is necessary, you already got yours!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics