Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 03:21 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering how many people have experienced hunger and poverty? Have you ever been out of work and wondered how you could buy your next meal?

I have, and you never forget that feeling. It was humiliating and embarrassing and I was too ashamed to tell anyone. I would dream about food all the time, and try to imagine ways to steal it or get it for free.

One day, all I wanted was a cup of coffee. I walked up to a little coffee shop and asked for a free cup of coffee. I must have mumbled because the person behind the counter didn't quite hear me. He put down a small cup and said, "That'll be 90 cents please!" I looked down into the coffee and said, "I was hoping you would give me a cup for free. I don't have any money." He looked at me disdainfully and said, "Okay! But this is the last time!"

I walked away humiliated and sat down on the edge of the sidewalk to drink my coffee.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 03:23 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
No. I have never known hunger. I would not be able to stop myself from helping a hungry person out. That's the mother in me, I guess, or more likely, the human in me.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:30 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Never that bad but I do remember one bad patch when my son was little and we had just fled my abusive ex who, it turned out, needed threatening reminders from the sheriff to pay child support. I had to make a box of mac and cheese last for a couple of days. It was scary. Since then, I have to keep a reasonably well-stocked pantry and fridge. I get really nervous when the fridge and cupboards start looking empty.

I posted this on the Food forum but this may be a good place for it here, too. It's a monthly food distribution program that is open to EVERYONE.

Welcome*- Angel Food Ministries

Old 01-10-2009, 03:45 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
I've been blessed. Never really been hungry.

Angel Food Ministries is definitely a resource to check out. You don't have to go through any sort of financial information to participate either. A friend of ours, who's not wealthy but not actually "poor" does participate and the food is excellent, and very affordable.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:51 PM

374 posts, read 1,125,779 times
I have. My roomate and I would go to a Christian-run food pantry and get food boxes. We also would scrape enough to buy bulk pasta/rice/beans. We picked edible greens to add to our pasta. I still don't like spaghetti all that well after eating it over an over and over. The food pantry was a life-saver.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:52 PM

It's nice to have things like Angel Food around. I'm not in that place anymore, but I've been there. And I'm an educated hard working person. It can happen to anyone.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:35 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Never that bad but I do remember one bad patch when my son was little and we had just fled my abusive ex who, it turned out, needed threatening reminders from the sheriff to pay child support. I had to make a box of mac and cheese last for a couple of days. It was scary. Since then, I have to keep a reasonably well-stocked pantry and fridge. I get really nervous when the fridge and cupboards start looking empty.

I posted this on the Food forum but this may be a good place for it here, too. It's a monthly food distribution program that is open to EVERYONE.

Welcome*- Angel Food Ministries
My mom grew up in the depression. She taught me that a full pantry is a good pantry. It was a good lesson for a number of times when it became a lot less full.

I was homeless for 6 months. That taught me a lession that I will never forget. The most important things in life are shelter, food and the safety of your family. I pay my bills for these things and THEN decide what to do with the play money. And am working toward a pantry that has no empty space again after leaving most of it to the neighbors when I moved.

Before our current economic meltdown is done and finally improves, many more people will learn that its far better to fill up the pantry and freezer than buying toys and having expensive fun.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
My mom grew up in the depression. She taught me that a full pantry is a good pantry. It was a good lesson for a number of times when it became a lot less full.

I was homeless for 6 months. That taught me a lesson that I will never forget. The most important things in life are shelter, food and the safety of your family. I pay my bills for these things and THEN decide what to do with the play money. And am working toward a pantry that has no empty space again after leaving most of it to the neighbors when I moved.

Before our current economic meltdown is done and finally improves, many more people will learn that its far better to fill up the pantry and freezer than buying toys and having expensive fun.
Nightbird --

Yes, I think having that experience of being hungry or not having a home changes a person. Because I know what it's like to go without, I get very, very frightened when I face not having work.

And when you are hungry, boy does food look different. You really dream about food, an abundance of food.

I agree with you, I think more people are going to start to realize how scary things can get!

Wx3

Old 01-10-2009, 06:27 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
I remember some very tough times when I was 19 & 20. Power used to get turned off and I lived on Ramen Noodles. I never starved because I always tried to work in a restaurant of some kind. For me thankfully that's as rough as it got. I was lucky enough to be able to find work and at least keep moving forward. For many others I know it has been much much rougher. But I never forget those days. I am actually very cheap now and never spend on anything I don't need. For me it was a good lesson. Some people never learn from it so I am thankful that I did.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:50 PM

732 posts, read 4,157,759 times
When I dropped out of Highschool and got a job at KFC and slept in my truck. I was able to eat at work and save up money. Did that for 6 months until I turned 18 and had about 10 grand saved up that a family member stole and I was **** broke again. I should have just went into the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics