Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 10:15 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times

Advertisements

What would you do if you suddenly found yourself out of work?

How would you pay your mortgage or rent?

How would you buy food?

What are your prospects for finding a new job?

Would you pack up and move to a new area?

I know these are awful things to think about, but I have a feeling I'll see a few friends at least end up in this situation soon. Most of them don't have any savings, just debt. I can't help but wonder what they'll do.

Wx3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 10:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
get a peddlers license and get a coffee stand on wheels.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:31 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,556 times
We've discussed this even though we've no fears of it happening.

1. We'd sell one of the cars and downgrade the other.
2. We'd cut back on heating/cooling the house.
3. We have reserves to pay the mortgage for at least 4 months.
4. I would immediately begin looking for a job. I'm a SAHM now.
5. I already do a killer job of using coupons and sales, so we could live off our stockpile for some time.
6. Cable and all other "perks" would go.
7. The water usage would go down - the lawn can go brown if need be.
8. We have an emergency fund stashed away that we could get to if it gets really tough.
9. The dog can learn to eat cheaper food or our food if it's less expensive to cook for him.
10. Worst case scenario: sell the house (ha ha in this economy and state) and rent. Really, it would mean walking away, filing bankruptcy and renting.
11. Begging for some parental help is really the last straw.

Happily, my husband's prospects for finding another job would be great. He has made loads of contacts over the years and is widely respected in his field. Mine wouldn't be as great, but I'd deliver papers and pizzas, and flip burgers if that's what was required to provide a roof and food for my children. Whatever it takes.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:57 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times
We're already half there. Hubby got laid off in October and is now just being scheduled for his first actual interview since then.

My company is doing so-so. It's a british co. so we're suffering from the downturns in both economies. Layoffs have taken place and they tell us more are coming.

In answer, we have two options. We have a little lot down south that we bought a couple years ago. We could buy a used mobile home, sock in a septic system and be done with it for about $15,000 cash. Or second, we could move in with my parents. (Or shoot ourselves. Can't decide between those two).

Old 01-11-2009, 07:14 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,933 times
Losing your job tomorrow is no different from retiring tomorrow. The effects on your finances are the same. So if you have been preparing for retirement this whole time, you are at least (theoretically anyway) mentally prepared to deal with unemployment.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:19 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
drink the night away, get up the next day and look for something else.

i have two jobs, and one of them i'm pretty sure i'll have until my boss decides to go out of business because i do SOOOOO much there. she doesn't even know how to do most of the stuff that i am doing there! the other one has cut my hours to the bone so this week i'm going out to look for something else (which should be really fun in the midst of winter ). i was just barely making it with the second job giving me adequate hours.

i have $97 in credit card debt and a little bit of savings that would get me through for a month, but i really hate the idea of having to borrow from my savings.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:35 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Help my husband with the business.

Part from unemployment, no matter how meager it is, and we have funds outside of the 401K and stocks.

How would you buy food?
Less filet mignon and lobster, that's for sure. Even more now of chicken and pork, veggies, less fish and seafood.

If I'm not too picky, I don't think it's too bad. Have to weigh my "earnings" contributing to the business vs working for someone else.

No. That would impact my hubby's business and the kids' schooling. We already moved down south from the northeast 2 years ago and am not ready for another move just yet.

I know these are awful things to think about, but I have a feeling I'll see a few friends at least end up in this situation soon. Most of them don't have any savings, just debt. I can't help but wonder what they'll do.

Wx3
~bibit~

Old 01-11-2009, 09:10 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Well, I am a SAHM, so that won't happen!
If DH lost his job, no worries. There are plenty out there in his field.

We own our house.

How would you buy food?
We have a 12 month emergency fund, along with other savings/stocks/etc.

Me - not applicable
DH - excellent

Nope - we love it here!

Old 01-11-2009, 09:26 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Tricky part is location. There are not a lot of alternate employers where I live so I would prepare for a move. Fortunately I have 4-6 months of expenses in the rainy day fund. I guess I would be sending out resumes and would be willing to work where I could get it.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:31 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post

How would you buy food?

Wx3
I Wx3,

I think if people were for one to start sharing their living arrangements that would help. Those friends should become roommates. It makes sharing a commute easy as well Also find a southern exposure and do some container gardening. Parsley, chervil and onions do well in low light and I have them growing unassisted in a zone 5 January window. On a southern exposed porch you can significantly supplement your diet during the growing season. This can offset the effects of cheaper processed foods.
Always buy whole chickens. Learn how to make them boneless. If I bone the whole chicken I have enough for 4 quarts of stock. It will be useful for some liver dumplings from the same chickens. The stock will also go nicely with rice and beans seasoned with that parsley and perhaps leaf celery, onions and red robbin(good container low light tomatoes) in those southern windows.

Also find inter modal transportation. I walk or use human powered vehicles to the train, in the winter I walk. Try police auctions for a cheap bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics