U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 06:21 PM

3,283 posts, read 4,753,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
He who thinks oil prices are determined by supply and demand is a fool !

Did Speculation Fuel Oil Price Swings?, 60 Minutes: Speculation Affected Oil Price Swings More Than Supply And Demand - CBS News

Housing bubble... Energy bubble... where's the next bubble people ?
i'm sorry, i really believe that over the summer we crossed the line. iow we were using more oil than could be pumped or refined and that was a first. what happened next was $5 gas helped bring down demand and the start of the recession helped bring it down further. oil producers having already commited to budgets couldn't withold supply for fear of losing market share and continued at max production. opec has since called for production cuts but i think the downward economic momentum has nullified those cuts. speculators might have played a part but imo this was exaggerated by lawmakers in another attempt to gain public support for more orwellian legislation. then again i am a kook and believe that lawmakers will jump at any opportunity to make new rules.

DownsizeDC.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 08:23 PM

93 posts, read 236,504 times
if you can't impress them with your intellect baffle them with BULLS#!T!!! the difference between "old school" traders and the POS's on "the street" today is the inability to see ANYTHING but "GREEN", no matter who it may hurt... including themselves! these (new) FOOLS have so devalued the market, us dollar and consumer confidence that their own portfolios are lacking from their "sell out" of the USA... what a bunch of J@CKA$$ES!!!

these GREEDY, IGNORANT B@ST@RDS would "trade" their mothers if they could put a quick easy buck in their pocket. at least old school traders had the foresight and patriotism not to "sell out" the very country and/or its' people who gave them so much. although these old schoolers had the very same "opportunity" to deal and steal... they chose not to, because they knew, full well, what the end result would be. moreover they "made futures", not ruined them!!!

you ask what people don't get about greed and stupidity, as if it's a good thing, the norm and/or badge of honor?!? new money on the street today is swindled and/or stolen by greed, stupidity and self consumption. whereas old money was earned by in depth knowledge, integrity and patriotism. moreover, old school investors were TRADERS, not TRAITORS as are (most of) these white collar thugs on the street today! this generation, presently in power (financially, politically, etc.), will go down in history as the worst, most intellectually dangerous and/or "challenged" this (once) great country has ever seen.

it's gonna take a lot of (intelligent) thought, real STONES and fast action to get us out of this mess. moreover, until we rid ourselves of utter greed and stupidity, as the overall norm in our society today, we will continue on this crash course to absolute catastrophic failure as a nation. may not have voted for him but, i wish mr. obama all the luck in the world... he is going to need it. furthermore, we all must stand behind him... democrat, republican, independent, black, white, man, woman, etc. it's time to seriously reevaluate our (failing) game plan and make D@MN certain the clock doesn't run out before we pull the "posers" and replace them with "team players", who will lead us to victory... not a 6 foot hole!

Old 01-23-2009, 11:02 PM

1,525 posts, read 3,436,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
It was obvious the price of oil was not supply & demand over last summer. Once congress started investigating the price spike it seemed to start going down. Just another reason I am slowly downsizing my trucking company and spending more time with trading. After paying the high prices for diesel I realized the market is a much more profitable buisness. Plus I enjoy it and I will no longer have employees. "A one man operation"
No doubt trading *can* be more profitable. But it can also be just the opposite.

Somewhat like playing pro poker, it is a job you can actually work all day, week, or month at and lose money, LOL!

Do keep us up to date on how you make out at it. The idea has always interested me, but being familiar with the mathematics of gambling, and how it's different from trading, I've never come up with a method I can believe in. (Never had the time and money to actually figure out how to compete with firms that can hire "quants" and computer scientist to calculate trading plans, as well as the insider status of having a seat at the exchange.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or