U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 06:20 AM

389 posts, read 1,865,160 times

Advertisements

okay i am confused with pricings of these tax online filing companies. i know i qualify for free federal coz my income is less than $36000. i also know u have to pay for state filing if your income is above $12000. was i right that tax act has the lowest state filing fee ($13.95)? i also am confused if youre a first time user like me if they waive the state fee? but oh well.. i already paid and i already received an email that my efile was ACCEPTED/approved by IRS. woot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 08:14 AM

13,566 posts, read 16,113,642 times
I've used TurboTax for years. Started to try TaxCut and TaxSlayer at different times because they were cheaper, but they weren't as user friendly as TurboTax. I do think TurboTax (I use the online version) is a little overpriced, but try going to H&R Block or Jackson-Hewitt and then TurboTax doesn't seem so bad. I will never pay a tax service like that again. I tried H&R Block on year and Jackson-Hewitt another year and they charged me hundreds of dollar to do what I could do myself with TurboTax for much less.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:16 AM

13,566 posts, read 16,113,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSer View Post
okay i am confused with pricings of these tax online filing companies. i know i qualify for free federal coz my income is less than $36000. i also know u have to pay for state filing if your income is above $12000. was i right that tax act has the lowest state filing fee ($13.95)? i also am confused if youre a first time user like me if they waive the state fee? but oh well.. i already paid and i already received an email that my efile was ACCEPTED/approved by IRS. woot!
Maybe it's changed, but I did my kids' state taxes with Turbotax Online last year and it was $9.95 for each state return, and their federal return was free. I had to get to the site through a link found somewhere else (maybe the IRS site?), but their income was low enoug (they are all students) that federal was free/state $9.95.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:48 AM

ya that's how i got confused... all of them has some kind of discount in their price if you access their site through IRS site. but if you access their site directly you pay maybe $5-$10 more. weird. and i received an email yet again from tax act. informing me that my federal refund will arrive on 2/20. cool! no news yet on my state refund though even though IRS has accepted it already.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:10 PM

i checked my balance today and both my fed and state refund is already in my account! wow. i cant believe i paid these tax preparers all these years when i can do it myself! EASILY! i never thought i could file my taxes myself. it has never been one of my goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or