U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:19 PM

649 posts, read 2,730,124 times

Advertisements

Dallas doesn't seem to hit with much of housing slump at all. The price mostly the same and maybe some places a bit down (1-3%). Some places like Plano the housing seem to gone up, according to Zillow.

I am thinking about buying house in the Dallas area and was wondering if housing price will actually go down a lot more here or not? The housing isn't too expensive here, so will I see anything like 20% or even 10% down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 10:25 PM

2,654 posts, read 4,824,184 times
I think alot of the answers to your question can be found here. Look at this chart of Housing price growth v. inflation for Texas. Then compare it to the chart below for the Bubble bursting So Cal Market below.

Texas OFHEO Home Price Appreciation Tracker

Southern California OFHEO Home Price Appreciation Tracker

My understanding is overtime, housing costs will track w/ inflation. So looks Like DFW is a relatively safe place to buy. That's why I'm shopping for an investment property there myself.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:32 PM

3,853 posts, read 11,850,014 times
Hey thanks for that ocinvestor. Charts don't lie. DFW is probably the best place to buy rental property that you will hold for a very long time. You can probably pick up properties that will cash flow at 10%+ if you get a good tenant and that is after all taxes, property management fees, and bills have been paid.

Quote:
My understanding is overtime, housing costs will track w/ inflation
Have heard the same thing from economists at UCLA etc.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:23 AM

17,031 posts, read 27,547,172 times
Good charts, look at the economies of both areas as well. I think Texas has a more diverse base of companies, and they are MUCH more business friendly than CA.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:36 AM

3,853 posts, read 11,850,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Good charts, look at the economies of both areas as well. I think Texas has a more diverse base of companies, and they are MUCH more business friendly than CA.
No kidding on the business friendly. Also lower taxes. All of CA's liberal red tape is starting to bite them in the butt BIG time.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:34 PM

43,857 posts, read 45,510,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
No kidding on the business friendly. Also lower taxes. All of CA's liberal red tape is starting to bite them in the butt BIG time.
The worst part of the whole scenario is that they think they are so utterly progressive that they feel driven to push their agendas on all the other states who are better off financially.............and emotionally.

OC Investor, impressive charts! Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:04 PM

3,855 posts, read 11,986,363 times
Having lived in Fort Worth I can tell you that when a lot of other areas of the country were crying about devalued homes ours was pretty much unchanged. I mean you usually expect a home to increase in value over time...which it didn't, it went nowhere...but it sure could have been worse.

At the same time though they just weren't part of the big housing bubble. My spanking new 2000 sq ft home on a .25 acre lot sold for $135k (ish). Try finding something like that on the left coast for less than double that price (or more). Well maybe you can now with the foreclosures....I don't know.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:28 PM

706 posts, read 1,187,179 times
A lot of the areas that didn't get the huge appreciations are happy now because they are suffering much less depreciation. Texas also has a relatively stable job market compared to a lot of areas so they actually have people with employment looking to spend money. What a concept.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:46 AM

56 posts, read 44,363 times
A sizable amount of employers in Dallas have customers in other states.
Once those customers go broke. The employers will start with the layoffs
in Dallas. And after the layoffs you will see the housing crisis in Dallas.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:05 AM

867 posts, read 2,683,498 times
Also, another good thing that I feel contributes to Texas' low real estate prices is that humidity tends to weed out a lot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or