U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:19 PM

138 posts, read 332,239 times

Advertisements

Are you set to graduate college in 2009? You might want to rethink it if you are, and either take fewer classes or take a year off from school and try to graduate into a better economy. Here is an excellent article explaining it.

Attention Class of 2009—Don't Graduate! - Millennial Money with Cliff Mason - CNBC.com

I graduated in 2008, landed a respectable job at a high salary right out of college, but lost it a few months later due to the credit crunch. I have since found another job but I am making barely half what I was making in my job right out of college. It will take me years and years to get back to where I was in Summer of 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 09:29 PM

19,089 posts, read 20,632,263 times
So you are telling them to incur more debt and not get a job? Doesn't sound like good advice to me...

Old 01-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,648,603 times
Quote:
I graduated in 2008, landed a respectable job at a high salary right out of college, but lost it a few months later due to the credit crunch.
Mind if I ask you what and where did you study, and what were you working as before?

Old 01-15-2009, 12:23 AM

3,853 posts, read 11,846,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
So you are telling them to incur more debt and not get a job? Doesn't sound like good advice to me...
well if you take less classes you probably have to pay less. Also it might be better in the long run to stay and try to get a job through the school. I know in my field of study getting a job through on campus recruiters is the way to go. All of the best firms use college campus recent graduates for their entry-level jobs. There isn't any decent entry-level jobs if you don't find it through the school.

I was looking for about 6 months because I just got my AA degree and everyone is looking for experience.

All the people recruiting at colleges know most of the people there have little to no experience so they will work with you.

If you just graduate without getting any internship or entry-level job you'd might as well kiss your career goodbye because more than likely you won't find any entry-level job that is worth taking.

That is true more than ever in this economy. Who knows when it will recover, could take years for all we know.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:36 AM

303 posts, read 1,453,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I agree, that's not very sound advice. I could see trying to get into graduate school and at least trying to do something constructive, but spinning your wheels and prolonging the inevitable is not going to save you from this economy.

At my university, employment services are available two years after the student graduates, that includes campus interviewing and individual career counseling and resume checks for up to a year. So saying that you should stay in college just for internship and other job opportunities that are only available on campus is just being foolish.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:19 AM

17,031 posts, read 27,536,917 times
I disagree, i heard only 50% of college grads get a job "in their field". Yes the market is tough, but unless you have a plan for an advanced degree I would try to find a job. A job that doesnt pay what you want is better than no job, and it does give some experience.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:26 AM

22,770 posts, read 26,989,299 times
it probably depends on your situation. i know some industries are still hiring. plus, as a new college graduate, you can often move wherever you want with no strings attached.

although I have to admit I'd probably take a good hard look at grad school.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:31 AM

138 posts, read 332,239 times
The article was speaking more from a longterm prospective. I know how it is to be a college graduate and be anxious to start your career, but the point is you can graduate now or wait and make significantly more money when the economy is good. If it takes me 5-10 years to get back to where I was when I graduated, just think what I could have been making in 5-10 years if I would have stayed at my initial job. Perhaps graduate school would be the best advice, because then you actually are doing something constructive while still delaying your entrance into the workforce.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:55 AM

22,770 posts, read 26,989,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubLR View Post
The article was speaking more from a longterm prospective.
I just read 3 articles, trying to chase down the logic behind the premise. All I found was a 'study' concluding that 1988 Stanford business school grads who became Investment Bankers ended up switching firms to increase their pay, rather than increasing their pay at the same company.

It then generalizes this "finding" through several articles, (i.e. "Recent research suggests..")

And then gets picked up by this snotty nosed blogger CLIFF - actually Jim Cramer's nephew, wonder how he got his job - who suggests that instead of finding a job, you should go "Backpacking through Europe to shore up your bourgeois credentials" ??? That's his "smart money" solution?

Old 01-15-2009, 07:17 AM

8,308 posts, read 35,214,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
And then gets picked up by this snotty nosed blogger CLIFF - actually Jim Cramer's nephew, wonder how he got his job - who suggests that instead of finding a job, you should go "Backpacking through Europe to shore up your bourgeois credentials" ??? That's his "smart money" solution?
Now that right there's funny. I don't care who you are...

I would be pretty cautious about getting into any service industry that is financial, informational or intellectual in character.

Everyone is suffering some deflationary pains at the moment and finding a job will be tough. The people who are going to get screwed are the ones who are too proud to take a paycheck from a less prestigious profession. I don't know of any employers who will readily overlook a long break between graduation and first employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics