U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 01:32 PM

614 posts, read 1,076,125 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Not sure if this belongs here and if not, mod please move.

It's long so please bear with me. Thank you.

I'm a small business owner in a retail mall here in Texas. Now I've had my business up since 1999. When I signed the lease with the mall, my CAM that I pay includes everything except electricity and phone. Now this includes 'waste management'. Now back in 2005 or so, the owning group of the mall sold the mall to another group. Now that transaction was seemless and nothing different. We didn't have to sign a new lease or anything. Basically nothing different on our part. Now, this new group decides to not to pay for 'waste management' anymore and leaves it to the waste management group to collect from the tenants. I never received any notice or anything. I basically didn't know of the change until I get a collections call from waste management. I told them that I never signed anything with them and not paying for their service cause I never the dumpster for anything anyways. Once again, I never signed a contract or anything with them so I told them I'm not paying them. I've talked to them at least 10 times to 10 different people explaning to them. Everytime they basically said ok and they'll look into it. But again, someone new will call that really doesn't know anything and I'm tired of wasting my breath. What can I do? I've talked to the mall and they basically washed their hands from it.

Thank you for your inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 02:00 PM

5,525 posts, read 10,223,957 times
What a pain! I'm not a lawyer so take what I say with that in mind.

My experience has been that you need to have all communication with that waste management company in writing so you have a paper trail and have documentation.

Have you noted the dates and the names of people you've already spoken to there? If yes, then you need to write a letter to them listing the dates and each person you've spoken with. Tell them you need all future communications with them in writing. Then, if they persist, you need to have a lawyer send them a cease and desist letter. Since they have no contract with you, and if they don't have any proof that you ever received any notification, it would seem you're off the hook.

The next time they call, tell them your attorney has requested that all further communications with them must be in writing and you will not talk further with them over the phone...and hang up, but note the date of the call--and get a person's name as well. If they keep calling, they may be guilty of harassment...

Old 01-16-2009, 02:10 PM

Thank you and rep for you. That's one thing that I've failed to do. I haven't documented my previous calls from them. I've resorted to ignoring their calls when they call. I guess I now have to speak to them again.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:31 PM

8,648 posts, read 15,628,188 times
You said your rental contract did not change so why would you now have to pay if it was part of your contract? The new owners can't just drop something they don't like without a new written contract.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You said your rental contract did not change so why would you now have to pay if it was part of your contract? The new owners can't just drop something they don't like without a new written contract.
Exactly. That's what I kept telling them. I told them to show me where I signed any agreement with them then I'll be happy to pay. That's when they all say ok, let them look it up and get back to me. Next thing I know, another person calls that has no idea about the last convo and it all starts again.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
Exactly. That's what I kept telling them. I told them to show me where I signed any agreement with them then I'll be happy to pay. That's when they all say ok, let them look it up and get back to me. Next thing I know, another person calls that has no idea about the last convo and it all starts again.
Just send them a certified letter saying you have no contract with them and that you don't use a dumpster and will not pay for it. And keep a copy for yourself and get a return signed receipt for the letter.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:44 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,993,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Just send them a certified letter saying you have no contract with them and that you don't use a dumpster and will not pay for it. And keep a copy for yourself and get a return signed receipt for the letter.
And send a copy of that letter to the company that now owns the place.
When they bought it, they bought it with the current leases. Check to see if there is anything in the lease dealing with change of ownership that lets them change the rules. They have obligations to you as a tenant. Don't let them off the hook.
It would be a good idea to get a consultation with a lawyer. Usually you can go through your bar association and get a 1/2 hour for $30 or so. That would give you some idea of where you stand and strategies to follow.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
And send a copy of that letter to the company that now owns the place.
When they bought it, they bought it with the current leases. Check to see if there is anything in the lease dealing with change of ownership that lets them change the rules. They have obligations to you as a tenant. Don't let them off the hook.
It would be a good idea to get a consultation with a lawyer. Usually you can go through your bar association and get a 1/2 hour for $30 or so. That would give you some idea of where you stand and strategies to follow.
Good idea, send a copy to the new owners, I didn't think of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or