U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:34 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,559,141 times

Advertisements

Move the family to some place less expensive ..... hmmmm, that's an idea. They could be like those Asian refugees who fix up a junkyard bike and pile all their possessions on it, and then walk it out to a better place. Maybe they could go to somewhere with greener pastures like Oklahoma, the Okies would probably be glad to help out unemployed Californians in this second Great Depression.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 11:36 AM

19,123 posts, read 20,697,215 times
You go to where you can live... or would you rather they stay and complain and go hungry?

Old 01-17-2009, 11:45 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,721,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
If you are poor, you should not be living in a city that is so expensive PERIOD... its time to move... I wish I had Cali weather but I am not going to sponge off people for the sake of living there... it appears most of the people using those programs are illegal immigrants... I guess perhaps its time they move back to their country...
If someone is poor, I imagine they can't afford to move let alone to an inexpensive area that may not offer the same services they would have gotten from the expensive area.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:47 AM

19,123 posts, read 20,697,215 times
You never know unless you try and if you are too poor to move, 99.9% than likely you would still qualify for aid under the new budget plan... its those who do have enough to move but sit there and complain instead...

Old 01-17-2009, 12:05 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,505,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You go to where you can live... or would you rather they stay and complain and go hungry?
Exactly. I had this discussion with a good friend last weekend. Her son is in his late 20s and has bounced around in jobs working as a manager in high end clubs and hotels. In that plastic world in Calif., he can't seem to last more than six months in a job before they're either downsizing or kicking him to the curb in favor of someone a boss knows or owes a favor. My friend is actually taking on a second job so she can support her son out there. Uh-uh!

I told her he needs to come home to Texas and live with her until he finds something here; she agrees. But he insists that he is "over-qualified" for anything in Texas and he can only live in a high-rolling area. I'm fairly sure he could find a good job in DFW and he's not "over-qualified." He just doesn't want to leave the illusion of a high lifestyle and have to live with mum until he gets back on his feet.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:42 PM

86,068 posts, read 74,832,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Exactly. I had this discussion with a good friend last weekend. Her son is in his late 20s and has bounced around in jobs working as a manager in high end clubs and hotels. In that plastic world in Calif., he can't seem to last more than six months in a job before they're either downsizing or kicking him to the curb in favor of someone a boss knows or owes a favor. My friend is actually taking on a second job so she can support her son out there. Uh-uh!

I told her he needs to come home to Texas and live with her until he finds something here; she agrees. But he insists that he is "over-qualified" for anything in Texas and he can only live in a high-rolling area. I'm fairly sure he could find a good job in DFW and he's not "over-qualified." He just doesn't want to leave the illusion of a high lifestyle and have to live with mum until he gets back on his feet.
As long as mom supports him he has no reason to leave. She's only prolong the misery by subsidizing his choice of lifestyle.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:10 PM

11,431 posts, read 16,920,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I was young and ideal at one time too, but then I grew up and found out my government could care nothing about me.

I saw him make that speech.

Hope you get a job....

You got that one right. It's one thing to be excited when you get rebate checks when you're in your younger years. But when you figure out that your gov't extorts your hard earned dollars and squanders it on crap. Not to mention that there may be NOTHING left to retire on in the "golden" years. Gov't is only there to steal your money.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:32 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,093,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Move the family to some place less expensive ..... hmmmm, that's an idea. They could be like those Asian refugees who fix up a junkyard bike and pile all their possessions on it, and then walk it out to a better place. Maybe they could go to somewhere with greener pastures like Oklahoma, the Okies would probably be glad to help out unemployed Californians in this second Great Depression.
Actually, there is quite an influx of Californians to Oklahoma. The major problem they have, however, is complaining about not having the services they had in California. They don't seem to realize that if you want a lot of services, you pay a lot of taxes. If you don't want to pay a lot of taxes, you do more for yourself. In OK, we prefer to do for ourselves and keep the cost of living down.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:33 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,301,046 times
Quote:

I know someone like that who lived in LA and NYC. Moved here to Atlanta thinking he'd be "over-qualified" for jobs here and that it was slower paced, so it'd be easy for him to find a job and live a high life. Low and behold, he comes and finds it's MORE competitive here than it was there because EVERYONE here is well educated. I chuckled a bit when he told us this because he thought he'd beat out all of us "Atlanta hill folks" or whatever slur he had in his mind. Also thought he needed to be "high rolling". People in LA and NYC need to realize that the world doesn't revolve around them.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:14 PM

9,324 posts, read 24,283,776 times
Isn't it amazing how the most expensive states have the most budget troubles. The bigger the government, the more problems you have to endure. Give the beaurocrats the money and they blow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics