U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 06:43 PM

345 posts, read 396,891 times

Advertisements

As John McCain liked to quip this past year:

"It's always darkest, right before ... it goes completely black."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 11:10 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,493,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
I know someone like that who lived in LA and NYC. Moved here to Atlanta thinking he'd be "over-qualified" for jobs here and that it was slower paced, so it'd be easy for him to find a job and live a high life. Low and behold, he comes and finds it's MORE competitive here than it was there because EVERYONE here is well educated. I chuckled a bit when he told us this because he thought he'd beat out all of us "Atlanta hill folks" or whatever slur he had in his mind. Also thought he needed to be "high rolling". People in LA and NYC need to realize that the world doesn't revolve around them.
Exactly. This kid doesn't have an associate's degree or any sort of specialized training in hotel/restaurant management but he thinks that because he was the beverage manager for a couple of clubs around LA, he's "over-qualified" for anything in even Dallas. Heh.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 871 times
This is what happens when all you fools who vote for an unneccessary $10B super-train from the Bay Area to L.A. I say those who voted for that prop should get their refunds last, if at all.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:16 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,474 posts, read 14,167,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriwx View Post
I sure hope they mean just postponing the refund checks, because that's blatantly stealing from people.

As to the quote "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.", I think it's a wonderful quote. But: People still deserve the right to make their own choices on what to do for their country. If they choose to give their refund money to the government as a gift, that's wonderful of them! If they choose not to, then they should have that right also. The government forcing charity on any entity causes the "charity" to no longer be charity, but rather, stealing.

People need to have their own agency concerning where they do and do not give their money.
Um....not to poke...but....

If you overpay something...because you didn't figure out what deductions you should claim.....that's not stealing from you.

Let's say I have a candy bar. I will sell it to you for 5 bucks. You give me 6 bucks. I say thanks. You say "YOU STOLE MY DOLLAR."

I don't give 'em crap until the very end of the year. It sits in my bank and makes money vs. their bank.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:25 AM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,649,461 times
Quote:
If you overpay something...because you didn't figure out what deductions you should claim.....that's not stealing from you.

Let's say I have a candy bar. I will sell it to you for 5 bucks. You give me 6 bucks. I say thanks. You say "YOU STOLE MY DOLLAR."
And in return, when the next fiscal year come, I only need to pay 4 bucks because I have $1 in credit...

Old 03-20-2009, 11:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,579 times
Regarding the LA "Business Tax." Come on LA and CA for that matter. You have got to be f-in kidding me. I got a notice of "assessment" for over 4 g's. Can't the city (and the whole state for that matter for supporting businesses and policies that rob the poor) rob other people besides poor members of the working class? Give me a break. Nice tactic btw. Don't make it clear to poor people who try to start a business that they owe city taxes on top of federal taxes and on top of state taxes. Then wait until the deadline is over so that they can slap you with a penalty, charge you interest and blame you for being uninformed. Then, while you are at it, hire poor black people who are already pissed off with being shafted by the system to work at the City of LA Finance Office to make it even harder to talk to anyone who actually cares. Nice tactic LA. Nice tactic CA. Raise revenue by robbing your poor members of the working class. Hey CA, here's an idea: why don't you go after the billionaires and politicians who cheat the system and don't pay your taxes instead picking on your struggling working class citizens? What a novel idea. CA, I hope you get what is coming to you.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,579 times
Come on LA and CA for that matter. You have got to be f-in kidding me. Jennifer, I got one for over 4 g's, too. Can't the city (and the whole state for that matter for supporting businesses and policies that rob the poor) rob other people besides poor members of the working class? Give me a break. Nice tactic btw. Don't make it clear to poor people who try to start a business that they owe city taxes on top of federal taxes and on top of state taxes. Then wait until the deadline is over so that they can slap you with a penalty, charge you interest and blame you for being uninformed. Then, while you are at it, hire poor black people who are already pissed off with being shafted by the system to work at the City of LA Finance Office to make it even harder to talk to anyone who actually cares. Nice tactic LA. Nice tactic CA. Raise revenue by robbing your poor members of the working class. Hey CA, here's an idea: why don't you go after the billionaires and politicians who cheat the system and don't pay your taxes instead picking on your struggling working class citizens? What a novel idea. CA, I hope you get what is coming to you.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:31 AM

105 posts, read 201,219 times
I think it's been time for closing down of debts in Federal, State, Local, Business and public. Not popular with many but thats what I believe. Heck, keep my debt for the rest of my life and give younger persons in life that have heavy collage loans and other debts a fresh start.

Deuteronomy 15:1
מקץ שבע שנים תעשה שמטה׃
"At the end of every seven years you shall grant a remission of debts."

Deuteronomy 31:10
ויצו משה אותם לאמר מקץ שבע שנים במעד שנת
השמטה בחג הסכות׃
Then Moses commanded them, saying, "At the end of every seven years, at the time of the year of remission of debts, at the Feast of Booths,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics