Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 05:01 AM

6 posts, read 13,509 times

Advertisements

So I am in my last year of college and will be getting my degree in Accounting. The problem is that, obviously, NOBODY IS HIRING!!! Who woulda thought that the accounting industry isnt hiring huh? I am really trying hard to land a job with the big 4 or even an internship to prove my worth. Basically I am a very competitive person at heart and working at a BIG 4 firm is what i need to jump start my career and be recognized by top tier schools for my MBA. Does anyone here know contact information or names of recruiters? The city doesn't matter either, i'm pretty desperate now for work and I am willing to relocate to whereve I have to. Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 08:17 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,779 times
I was told in the chicago forum that Accounting is an industry that does not ever get hit by recessions

If business is bad, dont they need accountants to do all the bankruptcies and what not

Old 01-14-2009, 10:04 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
I would think the IRS would hire you in an instant... lots of problems are going to creep up on the IRS.... by that, I mean people aren't going to pay their taxes...

Old 01-14-2009, 10:19 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
My advice to you is to get your Masters in Accounting or TAx, depending on the track you want to be on. Then take your CPA exam.

Then post your resume online, at their websites. They are very, very faithful about following up. Accounting is the only industry where companies actually look at those online websites

My other piece of advice is not to ignore those smaller firms. Trust me, they'll provide the experience you need to actually be an accountant. The Big 4 will only give you the experience you need to fill out a tax return in one of their computer systems.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:27 PM

I had previously worked at a small firm and I couldnt stand it. The atmosphere isnt for me, it was just too laid back and I went home everyday with a felling of no self-accomplishment. Plus the pay was a huge downside there for the work that an accountant has to do. Getting a masters is definitly what I want to do but for the schools I am trying to apply to they want really good background experience, i.e. all things the same, the guy who worked at the big 4 would get in before the guy from a small firm would. As for the IRS, I want to focus on the Auditing side versus taxation preferably but I guess in my situation i cant be picky =/. It's funny but Accounting was never supposed to go downhill but from everyone I know including 3.9 GPA students, no one literally NO ONE is getting a call back. No one from our schools accountign society has been hired either and it's got close to 100 members.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
I was told in the chicago forum that Accounting is an industry that does not ever get hit by recessions

If business is bad, dont they need accountants to do all the bankruptcies and what not
Yea but alot of these business that are going into bankruptcies don't have the cash to pay for an accountant. From what I have seen their biggest priority in salary wages at that point is focusing on their lawyers. As far as being recession averse, I'd disagree because ultimately an accountant is hired by their clients and if their business doesnt do good then the accountants are going to be shed too. Ultimately the only true recession proof jobs without a doubt are health-care and government.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:53 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times
Gonna have to look some place other than the big 4. Just because you don't get a job at the big 4 it isn't the end of the world.

I am in accounting as well and I see this all the time. A bunch of college kids talking about the end of the world because the big 4 didn't give them an internship haha.

Quote:
Ultimately the only true recession proof jobs without a doubt are health-care and government.
Not so much. Once tax revenue drops and they can't get a loan, good luck.

There is absolutely no job that is safe!

Old 01-15-2009, 07:07 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
Also, I've worked for two of the big four, or what was at that time the big 8... and then the big 6... and now the big 4....

They all suck rocks. They're terrible places to work. People flee those companies as fast as can be.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:50 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,792,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAlexander View Post
The problem is that, obviously, NOBODY IS HIRING!!!
If that's really the case, you might want to hold off on submitting the paperwork to graduate, and go to plan B for a year. When people do start hiring again, they'll also be more likely to hire a fresh graduate than one who has been flipping burgers for the last year.

Not graduating might also be a way to delay having your subsidized loans (if you have any) from charging you interest for a while.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:07 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times
Quote:
They all suck rocks. They're terrible places to work. People flee those companies as fast as can be.
Yea, the big 4 has high turn over. The only reason people work there is because the experience is super valuable. If you have big 4 experience it is the best of the best everyone wants it.

Quote:
If that's really the case, you might want to hold off on submitting the paperwork to graduate, and go to plan B for a year. When people do start hiring again, they'll also be more likely to hire a fresh graduate than one who has been flipping burgers for the last year.

Not graduating might also be a way to delay having your subsidized loans (if you have any) from charging you interest for a while.
Yea exactly many people say dont waste your time but the reality is that when the market turns around all the employers will go to the campus to recruit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics