Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:00 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,632,853 times

Advertisements

Say what you want about this guy, but he is 100% correct in this video.

YouTube - Peter Schiff The Schiff Report Video Blog May 21 2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 11:40 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,641 times
He's 100% accurate in terms of the message he needs to promote his gold/oil/Euro/yen interests. He's made a great case in the past in terms of the bigger picture about what's wrong with the U.S. economy (too much debt and consumption relative to savings and production).

As much as I like Schiff's general analysis, I fail to find him 100% convincing for the simple reasons that he doesn't take into account the inherent value underlying the U.S. economy or the ability of other governments and indeed the likelihood that other governments will pursue the same inflationary policies that the U.S. does. He also doesn't deal with the fact that an inflated dollar could prove one of the least painful (still painful, of course!) ways to deal with our debt problem in this country.

Schiff is a smart man and he's worth listening to, but what he says needs to be taken with a grain of salt given the products his company, EuroPac, tends to promote (i.e., the very products that benefit enormously from a very weak dollar).

Old 05-22-2009, 11:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I read about this same thing on another financial forum (financial sense) about how everything went down and what it could mean if it continues.

Schiff is right..when one thing goes down, another usually goes up. This same wierdness happened when Lehman and Bear Sterns were having problems..the fundamentals were going all over the place.

We shall see what happens from here.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:56 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Nothing to disagree with. Like most folks that make their living as an economists he "sees 'what is there' well, what 'was there' very well, but 'what might be' not any better than others".

He offers no real "better solutions" but this is of course not his purpose, it is to get people to "come back for more, buy a book, sign on with my investment firm, , help make my name more well known" (and maybe if some politicians listen, to get them to rethink their foolish actions) ...

Take for instance the GMAC thing, while I personally AGREE COMPLETELY that this is well beyond the legal purpose of a limited government such that United States Constitution provides for, I also can see how disruptive it would be to the UAW and other labor unions that strongly supported the election the Democrats to the White House. It does not take much imagination to see how even the most orderly and well orchestrated bankruptcy of GM might lead to massive turmoil in the broader market...

If Prof. Schiff shares with us his preferred makers of tent fabric, carbon steel hoe, and kerosene lantern, and tells us which Soup Line he'll be offering investment advice at I MIGHT be more scared. As it is, his office furniture does not seem to be scheduled to be cut up for firewood and his cable modem seems to be working well so I am not too worried that my lifestyle is going to collapse...

Old 05-22-2009, 12:36 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
I was thinking the same when I was staring at people, just barely above water and incomes half of mine, who were buying houses bigger then anything I could with a good down payment and fixed rate mortgage...it was pretty easy to see if you weren't insanely enthusiastic. Time will tell he can predict farther then the big in your face insanity at the start. Considering many predicted the same doom and gloom in the past bubbles/bursts since the dutch tulip bubble in 1624 and have been dead wrong...I think I'll follow my own evaluation.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:42 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times

YouTube - In-Depth Look - Shilling's Bearish Outlook - Bloomberg

I like what Gary Shilling has to say.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:45 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Nothing to disagree with. Like most folks that make their living as an economists he "sees 'what is there' well, what 'was there' very well, but 'what might be' not any better than others".
He is not an economist, he is a fund manager.

Schiff has been wrong on just about every detail, the only thing he got right was that there was going to be a recession. But, that was obvious to anybody that was not drinking massive amounts of kool-aid.

In terms of investing you would've done much better doing the exact opposite of what he has been suggesting for the last 2-3 years.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

Schiff has been wrong on just about every detail
2007 article..Schiff talks about housing bubble and US economy.
He was spot on then when everyone else said it was "localized".

Mar 15, 2007 From the Sub-Prime to the Ridiculous Peter Schiff 321gold . . . Inc (http://www.321gold.com/editorials/schiff/schiff031507.html - broken link)

snippet from 2007 article:
"[SIZE=-1]However, instead of a mild recession, this collapse will be followed by the most severe recession since the Great Depression."[/SIZE]

Old 05-22-2009, 02:53 PM

In 2006 it was Roubini giving the warning. In 2007 it was Schiff giving the warning.

No one listened then and they are still drinking the koolaid today. Green shoots eh ?

Old 05-22-2009, 02:55 PM

I will say I listened to both Roubini and Schiff and got out of the market in 2007.
My 401K was preserved, unlike many who listened to the big heads talking about "buy low, and hold".

So, user_id, think what you want about Schiff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics