Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

AFAIC - I think nationalizing the big banks is a great idea. Then the government would have a stake in killing inflation and a savings account might actually make the small saver some money. The current system was a rip off starting with RR's tax cuts and the assumption of unsupportable government debt to run the empire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 11:16 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
I don't care if they do cause if they did, I would just park my money in a FOREIGN bank and so would most people who had money and that means the federal government would lose hundreds of billions of credit and cause everyone's interest rates to skyrocket... pity the fool who thinks nationalizing the banks is good...

Old 01-23-2009, 12:13 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I don't care if they do cause if they did, I would just park my money in a FOREIGN bank and so would most people who had money and that means the federal government would lose hundreds of billions of credit and cause everyone's interest rates to skyrocket... pity the fool who thinks nationalizing the banks is good...
The Royal Bank of Scotland is looking for depositers...

Old 01-23-2009, 12:21 PM

Because of the zero to negative effective interest rate I do not keep very much money in a savings bank. Like the other side of the deal I do not loan my money for free. Reestablishing the Bank of the United States as a government owned bank would be far more prudent than leaving the speculation susceptible private financers to ruin our economy for their own short term benefit.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:30 PM

Because of the zero to negative effective interest rate I do not keep very much money in a savings bank. Like the other side of the deal I do not loan my money for free. Reestablishing the Bank of the United States as a government owned bank would be far more prudent than leaving the speculation susceptible private financers to ruin our economy for their own short term benefit.

What I would like to see is a government that controlled the money supply so there was no inflation. Then I would like to have regular savings pay 3% (guaranteed ), long term loans (mortgages) at 5.0%, consumer loans (big ticket items like autos & appliances) at 8% and credit cards at 12%. Loans for securities and other business investments such as more than one house would be at 10% + 5% of the gain and not more then 50% margin. The banks would make money and the small saver would as well.

When combined with a highly progressive income tax with a large deductable we would have a stable economy with steady growth without speculative bubbles. Everybody would be happy but the greed driven speculators.

Please excuse the double post.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:18 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,870,090 times
basically, its transfering bad private debt onto the balance sheet of the US government (you joe taxpayer), putting you on the hook for trillions. The obligations will be printed up because we don't have trillions, so you'll see a decrease in the purchasing power of your dollars. essentially a giant tax on anyone holding onto dollars.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:05 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,661,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I recommend reading Thomas Jefferson's thoughts on national banks.

Do not confuse the nomenclature. His beef with the Bank of the United States had more to do with the fact that it was a Federal Reserve, in effect a private entity intent on making usury out of the use of our own money. Let me be clear, nationalizing banks while retaining fractional reserve banking under the vigilance of the Federal Reserve is an exercise in futility, perhaps even an oxymoron. Nationalizing needs to be accompanied with the abolishing of the federal reserve to truly reclaim the people's stake on the banking of their currency at the expense of the profiteers who currently have run the boat aground. Granted, such a change would also be an irrelevancy if it is encountered by an apathetic and lazy citizenry, but I rather have a stake on it than assume capitalism = freedom because they told me so on TV and I like being in debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics