Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 03:52 PM

24 posts, read 72,753 times

Advertisements

The media with all of this are just a bunch of modern day muckrakers. I did hear Obama hint that it was bad and it was going to take a while though.
You do know that if Kerry won last election things would not have been much different and McCain probably would have secured this election right? With Bush's unpopularity in the later years a lot of people just voted against the Republican party no matter what.
I know he's made mistakes but I'm a little sick of the "Let's hate Bush bandwagon."
I would've voted McCain if I was old enough to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 04:12 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.bond View Post
The media with all of this are just a bunch of modern day muckrakers. I did hear Obama hint that it was bad and it was going to take a while though.
You do know that if Kerry won last election things would not have been much different and McCain probably would have secured this election right? With Bush's unpopularity in the later years a lot of people just voted against the Republican party no matter what.
I know he's made mistakes but I'm a little sick of the "Let's hate Bush bandwagon."
I would've voted McCain if I was old enough to do so.
What an amazing thread about economics and business.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:46 PM

24 posts, read 72,753 times
haha you know what I totally forgot this was a business thread. sorry about that

Old 01-26-2009, 08:56 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet nut View Post
Yes, the economy is not so good and unemployment is going up and the stock market and home prices keep going down, but I suspect that much of the blame for continued weakness is our own leaders. I am tired of President Obama telling us how bad things are.

There must be a way for him to acknowledge things are not so good but still tell us that things are going to improve soon and explain how our economic systems, workforce, infrastructure, systems and people will make things better soon.

I know most of my friends and family are cutting all spending outside of basic survival down to the bone and the result is we are not doing much to help the consumer based economy. The fear presented in the media and by our President has scared us to death and the result is a downward spiral until someone in a leadership role tells us that things are OK.

How can the media and our political leaders stop the downword spiral without lying to us?
One would think he is getting us ready for a serious fall.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:03 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet nut View Post
Yes, the economy is not so good and unemployment is going up and the stock market and home prices keep going down, but I suspect that much of the blame for continued weakness is our own leaders. I am tired of President Obama telling us how bad things are.
He's been President for less than a week, how tired can you be?

Maybe he's just trying to temper peoples expectations that he can fix a decades worth of banking mess and a major recession in a couple of days!

Old 01-26-2009, 09:23 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
He's been President for less than a week, how tired can you be?

Maybe he's just trying to temper peoples expectations that he can fix a decades worth of banking mess and a major recession in a couple of days!
Or maybe is finally seeing the economy for what it is and he and both parties have no idea how to save us from a total economic meltdown.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:32 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
If anything he is UNDERSTATING the dangers ahead. This economy has been false for decades and the longer it takes to crash the more devastating it will be.

This is my feeling too. I fear we are all in for a VERY rough ride - and I don't think any of us are fully prepared for it.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
You build up expectations when cam paigning and hten try to lowwer tehm once elcted. Nothing new;there are no miracle workers amoung us.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:54 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Happy talk isn't going to solve our economic problems. Like an alcoholic, the first step to recovery is acknowledging there is a problem.
was going to say the same thing.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:07 AM

698 posts, read 1,509,732 times
The economy is going to get back on its feet regardless of who is in office. The market is always one step ahead of the government and i guarantee that in the next 18 months the economy will start making progress. If anything, Obama is covering his own ass knowing that if things do get worse he can say "I told you so" and if they get better he will end up looking like a savior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics