Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:04 AM

635 posts, read 1,686,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I fully agree that the D and R have to idea how to get us out of this mess. Shouldn't the government lend money to big business to restructure or retool plants which have been left vacant due to NAFTA? This way Americans can get back to work and buy American goods again. I don’t think the D and R can see the forest from the trees.
Well, as one comedian said, with so many politicians going to prison, there will be new jobs there! They will need new guards, supervisors, wardens, drivers, kitchen help, janitors ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 07:35 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
I wonder when it's the U.S. turn for its government to fails. If Obama continues to fund foolish pork projects people trust in him will diminish.
Are you by any chance referring to Pelosi's thrust to pump enormous amounts of capital into CONTRACEPTIVES AND FAMILY PLANNING AGENCIES IN THE NAME OF BOLSTERING THE ECONOMY?

I'm just not going to pay any more taxes.

I'm moving to Iceland to be a subsistence fisherman.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:53 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfastnoodle View Post
They can always go back to fishing. Not to mention being western, Christian and historically European, there is really no barrier for them to be accepted into European Union in a very short time frame.(although they would have to give up whale hunting if they decided to join the EU).
My understanding is they opted out of the EU due to the EU wanting to control their fishing rights, not just whale hunting. They have some of the best fishing grounds and if they went into the union, then they would regulate them for benefit of the "union".

Old 01-27-2009, 03:15 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Here is an article from the UK regarding the time line of Iceland's situation:
Iceland latest and breaking national news and regional news from Iceland - Telegraph

At the end of things....they are probably still better off than we are. At least they have a plan.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:48 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Are you by any chance referring to Pelosi's thrust to pump enormous amounts of capital into CONTRACEPTIVES AND FAMILY PLANNING AGENCIES IN THE NAME OF BOLSTERING THE ECONOMY?

I'm just not going to pay any more taxes.

I'm moving to Iceland to be a subsistence fisherman.
With all that’s going on economically in the country one would think its time to get serious and reestablish a manufacturing base in order to create real jobs. I feel nothing good is going to happen in the near future. The federal deficit is just going to grow and special interest connected to the left is going to receive millions to develop art for the starving unemployed middle class.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:46 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
With all that’s going on economically in the country one would think its time to get serious and reestablish a manufacturing base in order to create real jobs. I feel nothing good is going to happen in the near future. The federal deficit is just going to grow and special interest connected to the left is going to receive millions to develop art for the starving unemployed middle class.
That's really scary and scariest of all is just how demoralizingly plausible it is...

Old 01-30-2009, 10:14 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
With all that’s going on economically in the country one would think its time to get serious and reestablish a manufacturing base in order to create real jobs.
Well, yeah... that's why they included all that money for contraceptives in the stimulus package. They're going to create contraceptive factory jobs.

Rubbers Я Us...

What they really need to do... revise cumbersome and costly regulations and lower the corporate tax rate to make it competitively profitable to produce goods in the U.S. Our economy will not regain health until we change policy to encourage more production onshore instead of chasing corporations, and jobs, offshore.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:25 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Not trying to get to political here....I have very little "trust" in any D or R at this point. They both got us into this mess, the same line of thinking wont get us out.

With a bit more reading, I discovered Iceland's population numbers approx 320,000. Thats just about the population of the county in which I live.

That being said, I fear our "turn" is coming fast. The problem is..we're not that small(in terms of population), and certainly not "homogenous". Wonder how we will cope?
I have no trust in D's and R's either but that lack of trust in people will not be the main reason for collapse. The dollar will collapse and our debt will be dumped by other nations. It will likely lead to breakup but at the same time an attempt to create a north american union (or worse). Eventually civil war would be quite possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics