Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 03:52 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times

Advertisements

Iceland's government collapses - Europe- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 04:09 PM

635 posts, read 1,686,602 times
Not a country I've read much about re suffering since it was assumed that they were pretty wealthy - thanks for that link killer!!

its all so dizzying actually ... imagine, being able to buy a Land Rover online with 100% financing and driving off 10 minutes later - now they are upside down in that same car...
The party's over for Iceland, the island that tried to buy the world | World news | The Observer

Old 01-26-2009, 04:19 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times
Yes the iceland story is very interesting. They had a lot of things going for them. For example nearly 100% of their electricity came from renewable geothermal. They were working on trying to get hydrogen economy going to run boats and cars since they could easily tap more geothermal energy.

For Iceland this is a great opportunity to rebuild the country for the better. What they need to do is eliminate all central banks and use gold/silver instead. All fiat must be backed by gold/silver. If businesses needed loans they could get them from other countries but you won't ever see the people going bust because gold/silver are excellent at preserving value.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:47 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,728,615 times
So......what happens now? They have no money, and no government. So does total chaos ensue?, rioting in the streets?, martial law?
Agreed, any end, is an opportunity to rebuild in a better way. But what structures the rebirth? And what keeps everything from degenerating into a social melee? The UN?
It can't happen here....... Can it?
I find it particularly interesting that I've seen no mention of this on our MSM.....

Old 01-26-2009, 05:48 PM

513 posts, read 1,581,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
So......what happens now? They have no money, and no government. So does total chaos ensue?, rioting in the streets?, martial law?
Agreed, any end, is an opportunity to rebuild in a better way. But what structures the rebirth? And what keeps everything from degenerating into a social melee? The UN?
It can't happen here....... Can it?
I find it particularly interesting that I've seen no mention of this on our MSM.....
There will be a caretaker government in place until new election is held. Iceland is a small, demographically homogenous, European and Nordic country guarding strategically vital America-Europe trade route (in Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising, the speedy occupation of Iceland by Soviet Union almost led to Soviet victory in a major Soviet-NATO war, situation didn't reverse until US managed to take back Iceland). They won't have shortage of friends who are willing to help them in exchange for a place at this strategically island Russia agreed to loan them 4 billions dollars last year when US and Britain refused to help. BTW They can always go back to fishing. Not to mention being western, Christian and historically European, there is really no barrier for them to be accepted into European Union in a very short time frame.(although they would have to give up whale hunting if they decided to join the EU).

Old 01-26-2009, 06:43 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,683 times
I wonder when it's the U.S. turn for its government to fails. If Obama continues to fund foolish pork projects people trust in him will diminish.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:41 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,728,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I wonder when it's the U.S. turn for its government to fails. If Obama continues to fund foolish pork projects people trust in him will diminish.
Not trying to get to political here....I have very little "trust" in any D or R at this point. They both got us into this mess, the same line of thinking wont get us out.

With a bit more reading, I discovered Iceland's population numbers approx 320,000. Thats just about the population of the county in which I live.

That being said, I fear our "turn" is coming fast. The problem is..we're not that small(in terms of population), and certainly not "homogenous". Wonder how we will cope?

Old 01-26-2009, 08:55 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Not trying to get to political here....I have very little "trust" in any D or R at this point. They both got us into this mess, the same line of thinking wont get us out.

With a bit more reading, I discovered Iceland's population numbers approx 320,000. Thats just about the population of the county in which I live.

That being said, I fear our "turn" is coming fast. The problem is..we're not that small(in terms of population), and certainly not "homogenous". Wonder how we will cope?
I fully agree that the D and R have to idea how to get us out of this mess. Shouldn't the government lend money to big business to restructure or retool plants which have been left vacant due to NAFTA? This way Americans can get back to work and buy American goods again. I don’t think the D and R can see the forest from the trees.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:46 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Iceland - the canary in the coal mine... Who's next?

Old 01-26-2009, 10:59 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfastnoodle View Post
.... BTW They can always go back to fishing. Not to mention being western, Christian and historically European, there is really no barrier for them to be accepted into European Union in a very short time frame.(although they would have to give up whale hunting if they decided to join the EU).
Well, we've all had to give up whale hunting, and I for one don't miss it a bit. But fishing can be quite lucrative nowadays, what with increasing demand and decreasing supply.

I was reading a little while ago about how one large bluefin tuna was auctioned off for over $100,000 in Japan. They're just fish-eatin' fools over there, they'll pay outrageous amounts for a few translucent thin slices on a bed of nice warmed-over seaweed or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics