Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:10 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,278 times

Advertisements

I don't know why we have to relearn the same lesson here in the United States. FDR tried to stimulate the economy by creating the WPA. It may have gotten people working but it never did reenergize companies which cut thousands of jobs in the early 30s. Only WW2 brought us out of the depression. To believe that millions of dollars earmarked for green energies is going to bring us out of this terrible period is plain nonsense. We did not get in this position because of the price of energy. We moved our industries to China and disposed of thousands of white and blue collar jobs in the process.

For twenty years the nation lived on credit while the cost of living went up and salaries stagnated. The bank's economist knew the situation years ahead and lobbied the government to deregulate the banking industry during the Clinton Administration. For twenty years people lived the American dream well beyond their means. We are getting the same old nonsense now with another phony figure in the White House and another party’s dirty politics. We don’t need pork but the left is not running the show and they have to pay back campaign promises made to their left supporters. Until the nation come to terms with the real truth and corrects its mistakes it’s going to continue to wonder around in the dark hoping to find a way out of this terrible economic period.

This is not just an economic problem but a political one as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 09:12 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I don't know why we have to relearn the same lesson here in the United States. FDR tried to stimulate the economy by creating the WPA. It may have gotten people working but it never did reenergize companies which cut thousands of jobs in the early 30s. Only WW2 brought us out of the depression. To believe that millions of dollars earmarked for green energies is going to bring us out of this terrible period is plain nonsense. We did not get in this position because of the price of energy. We moved our industries to China and disposed of thousands of white and blue collar jobs in the process.

For twenty years the nation lived on credit while the cost of living went up and salaries stagnated. The bank's economist knew the situation years ahead and lobbied the government to deregulate the banking industry during the Clinton Administration. For twenty years people lived the American dream well beyond their means. We are getting the same old nonsense now with another phony figure in the White House and another party’s dirty politics. We don’t need pork but the left is not running the show and they have to pay back campaign promises made to their left supporters. Until the nation come to terms with the real truth and corrects its mistakes it’s going to continue to wonder around in the dark hoping to find a way out of this terrible economic period.

This is not just an economic problem but a political one as well.
Alibis are already in place:

1) The economy would be even worse without the stimulus package(s)
2) It's Bush/Republican/free market fault
3) we just need more time for the massive spending to work (i.e. another 4 years)

Old 01-28-2009, 09:21 PM

931 posts, read 3,802,976 times
I'm going to buy a new TV!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:29 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times
but but but the people on TV said that master planning the economy was our only solution!

Quote:
1) The economy would be even worse without the stimulus package(s)
2) It's Bush/Republican/free market fault
3) we just need more time for the massive spending to work (i.e. another 4 years)
Just wait until you see what Obama has in line for you.

The economy is in the trash because we don't let the free market work. We tax everyone to death then regulate everything to the hilt EXCEPT THE BANKS. Notice that the banks were the number 1 reason we are in this mess. Then they blame it on capitalism and free markets. THE GOVERNMENT IS THE ONLY ONE TO BLAME.

Just LOOK at history for a change. For the love of god, turn off the TV go crack open a book about financial history and read what has happened when we institute these large public works program.
Argentina collapsed as a result of it. The USA is on the same course.

Last edited by killer2021; 01-28-2009 at 09:40 PM..

Old 01-28-2009, 10:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleo View Post
I'm going to buy a new TV!
I'm gonna buy flour, rice, beans and stock up on soup while looking for a remote sustainable home out in the country

You can come visit me when there's no more jobs and hence no TV shows to watch anymore !

Old 01-28-2009, 10:28 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm gonna buy flour, rice, beans and stock up on soup while looking for a remote sustainable home out in the country

You can come visit me when there's no more jobs and hence no TV shows to watch anymore !
I plan on doing the same thing. You can live next to me. I'll have plenty of guns to keep the hungry mobs away from our gardens.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:35 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
The stimulus should be rename because it really isn't a "stimulus".... its loaded with so much pork its unbelievable (I guess they are paying a select few people) but not only that, its loaded with soooooo much more money to help unemployment, food stamps, low income, etc... only an idiot doesn't know what it is... its preparation for the worst to come... it isn't a "stimulus"... its preparation... along with preparation, there are tons of pork in there and you might be thinking "why?".... if you are preparing for the worst, shouldn't you concentrate on that instead of pork... I hope Obama uphold his pledge to go over EVERY legislation, line by LINE and veto anything that is laden with pork like this thing is.... why on earth did he not WRITE the legislation himself? Why did he let a group of democrats write the whole thing and load it up with pork? Was he all talk? I thought the Republicans were making headway with him and I hoped it would be hammered out before it came to a vote... I was wrong... I was hoping they take out the pork... I was wrong.... I was hoping for a stimulus... I was wrong again.... we will see how it goes.... I don't have a good feeling about it...

Old 01-29-2009, 12:33 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
For those of you headed to the country to try and sustain yourselves, don't forget about all those additional expenses you'll need:

A rifle or two
Cyclone fencing around the perimeter of your property
Bulletproof glass in your vehicles

This is not the non-violent 30's. With the Internet you can't hide anymore. There are sites where you can track down just about anyone. AND, find out what they're worth, with the help of some hackers. If it gets really, REALLY Bad, they'll hunt you down, for sure! With the Internet, they'll have it down to a science. They'll drive down the street, point out this house (no, they're too much in debt) point out that house (no credit card debt, closed their bank account a couple years ago, probably has cash hidden somewhere around their house), or point out this house (2 year old car not paid for) and that house (25 year old car, no repairs on the house for many years--worked many years for a Fortune 500 Co.--probably a big tightwad with lots of money who goes around asking their neighbors for their used coffee grounds every morning to save money--LET'S GO FOR IT!) and so on and so forth.

My retired sister sits so smuggly on her paid-for 40-acre farm in MN, totally insulated from the ravages of our current economy, but little does she know she's nothing more than a sitting duck if worse becomes the worst.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:12 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
Agreed - the pork in this bill is astounding. Read it and weep:

- $600 million more for the federal government to buy new cars
- The Smithsonian is targeted to receive $150 million
- $50 million for that great engine of job creation, the National Endowment for the Arts
- $400 million for global-warming research

LINK

Old 01-29-2009, 05:35 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
but but but the people on TV said that master planning the economy was our only solution!

Just wait until you see what Obama has in line for you.

The economy is in the trash because we don't let the free market work. We tax everyone to death then regulate everything to the hilt EXCEPT THE BANKS. Notice that the banks were the number 1 reason we are in this mess. Then they blame it on capitalism and free markets. THE GOVERNMENT IS THE ONLY ONE TO BLAME.

Just LOOK at history for a change. For the love of god, turn off the TV go crack open a book about financial history and read what has happened when we institute these large public works program.
Argentina collapsed as a result of it. The USA is on the same course.
You are right...the more the government is involved the worse it will get...wait till the government will tell you that you can only have 1 job...since others need jobs too...that is what happened in Europe years ago....they went back from 40 hours to 36 hours with the same pay check, just to create jobs...guess what..didn't work, nobody got hired to fill the 4 hours and employers couldn't afford paying others the same for less work and hire new people and pay them on top of that...stupid decision and people don't want to go back to 40 hours for the same pay check.

Soc. health care didn't work there and won't work here....Obama will only make it worse...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics