Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 09:44 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times

Advertisements

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...lus-pie-chart/

Last edited by killer2021; 01-29-2009 at 09:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 02:02 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,631 times
Let's see... I like the expansion of unemployment and job training. I like the Pell grants. Local district relief. Modernizing infrastructure. Those all seem to be a good investment (if done correctly, which knowing the federal government, it won't). A lot of the other stuff is just fluff.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Let's see... I like the expansion of unemployment and job training. I like the Pell grants. Local district relief. Modernizing infrastructure. Those all seem to be a good investment (if done correctly, which knowing the federal government, it won't). A lot of the other stuff is just fluff.
Only thing I like is tax cut but I guess we can all agree that the money being spent this way is a lot better than the last bailout!!!

Old 01-30-2009, 06:36 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Good chart.

Most of the spending is targeted to the three areas that have the lowest unemployment; government, health, and education. Tax cuts are good but most is targeted to those that don't pay income tax so it is simply an income transfer.

Does not look like an effective stimulus package to me.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:30 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Yes tax cuts - lots to people that don't earn the minimum wages to pay tax in the first place. Fixed tax cuts regardless of your tax bracket. That's income re-distribution in my books and does nothing to simulate the economy. One of the keys is corporate tax rates, of which the U.S. has one of the highest rates in the world. No relief there I see.

There are alot of entiltements in this chart. Alot - medicaid, food stamps, pell grants, healthcare, unemployment benefits - that's fine if you believe in that but don't hide them in a stimulus package. Create another package if they want, but take it out of here. Again, does nothing to stimulate the economy.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:42 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yes tax cuts - lots to people that don't earn the minimum wages to pay tax in the first place. Fixed tax cuts regardless of your tax bracket. That's income re-distribution in my books and does nothing to simulate the economy. One of the keys is corporate tax rates, of which the U.S. has one of the highest rates in the world. No relief there I see.

There are alot of entiltements in this chart. Alot - medicaid, food stamps, pell grants, healthcare, unemployment benefits - that's fine if you believe in that but don't hide them in a stimulus package. Create another package if they want, but take it out of here. Again, does nothing to stimulate the economy.
Agreed. It looks like there is a lot of "help" going to people in order to get by, which is fine, but this will not stimulate job creation. This is a package that gets the out of work people to rely more on government, but will not create anywhere near the amount of Jobs Obama says it will. It's your typical democratic crafted package.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:47 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Why not just eliminate income tax for anyone eraning less than upper middle class income? Why not reduce corporate tax? How about writing legislation to cut restrictive regulations that limit new startups? Oh yes, the trend is always bigger, bigger government. The stimulus is just another example of non-productive government creating more debt. Debt does not stimulate progress.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:40 PM

541 posts, read 1,224,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Only thing I like is tax cut but I guess we can all agree that the money being spent this way is a lot better than the last bailout!!!
Well, sort of. The tax cuts really aren't tax cuts, though. They're essentially welfare checks with the stipulation that those who receive them have to be working, as most recipients aren't paying federal income taxes, anyway. There's some utility to that, but this is really just income redistribution.

It's better than unregulated spending, but it's not that great of a stimulus mechanism. That would be better targeted at small businesses. I frankly am not impressed with this spending bill.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Why not just eliminate income tax for anyone eraning less than upper middle class income?
I definitely agree with that idea. Make it something like the first 10,000 of income has a tax rate of 0%.

I agree with with a lot of the other points made in this thread.

If anything I believe we can all agree that government spending is a lot less effective compared to the private sector.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:27 AM

5 posts, read 23,269 times
Tax Breaks aren't bad, and I would never turn them down. But to think that tax breaks will single-handedly stimulate the economy is laughable. Remember last fall? Those stimulus checks didn’t fix the problem, so what makes us think it’s going to fix everything this time? Besides it was your money to start with and now you have to claim it and pay taxes on it this year. They’re just giving it back to you and making you feel good about it. If you’re looking for $1,000 to change your life this year, well, I'm sorry, it may help you today or this month, but $1,000 will do very little for you in the long run. To win with money, you've got to think long term.

The government wants you to spend, spend, spend—and many Americans are taking this advice while still in debt! No matter what the talking heads say, it is not your patriotic duty to spend money you don’t have. Your duty is to take care of yourself and your household with the money you earn from an honest day’s work. If you have your full emergency fund and are in a position to buy something, now is the perfect time! You can get some fabulous deals, but don’t let the deals entice you if you haven’t planned ahead and don’t have the cash! Emergency Fund $1,000.

The National Debt is tremendous...the dog is still chasing its tail. Debt started the problem, so what is the current plan to fix the problem? More debt! I don't think so. What really drives the economy? Is it D.C.'s programs or small-business people scattered throughout the country? No, this down economic time will begin to heal itself. Do we have to go $1 trillion in debt to do that? No way!

Our future as an economy isn’t coming out of Washington. Our future prosperity is coming out of the hopes, dreams and individual freedoms of the American people. When left alone, we have a tendency to prosper. The healing of the economy will begin and end with you. Yes, you, the person you see in the mirror! It is only going to turn around “One Household at a time!” You have to make your decision as to whether or not you’re going to take part in the recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics