Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 03:31 PM

371 posts, read 1,566,593 times

Advertisements

Do any of you feel that outsourcing is part blame on our countries economic situation? How can we stop this, as a country? We need to bring these jobs back but we need people on our side. We need the laws changed for companies that do go overseas. Its time we start thinking about our country and stop worrying about helping the other countries. Its done nothing but made enemies for us. We need to figure out the illegal alien situation in the US and make sure Americans have jobs before non Amerian citizens. I feel this country needs to "start over." How do we start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 08:40 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,208 times
Outsourcing is completely to blame for the nation’s wows. Whether we learn this lesson is still up to debate.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:56 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
We outsource our customer service. The customers hate trying to deal with people from Manila and it would be so great to get all those jobs back locally, but then the product would also go up. If the product goes up, would it hurt our current customers and sales? Probably so.

So even though I would prefer ALL outsourced jobs to come back state side....I can also see where this is a controversial decision for all these companies and manufacturers. I have no idea how to fix the whole thing to make everyone happy.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:27 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
You have to be willing to pay for it, that's all. The majority are not willing to, hence the rise of WalMart, etc...

For example, I could buy a cheap TV, or I could pay more (probably for a better product) and buy it from a company that employees hundreds of local citizens in a nearby location. Most people would buy the $1000 cheap TV over the $1500 TV.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:57 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
I keep hearing first hand of outsourcing having been done on the IT/programming level to India and all the work coming back as garbage and having to been done over again in the USA.

Also a lot of things that get sent overseas are things we've grown out of and moved on from. The best thing we can do is make the USA a pro business environment and get business to move here.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:55 PM

347 posts, read 1,357,289 times
Today if a box of 50 plastic spoons (Made in China) sells for $3 at Walmart, what did it cost many years back before outsourcing began and it was made locally? Surely not $10.

I find it hard to believe that something sold for $10 and one fine day someone had the bright idea of outsourcing and the next year onwards the same thing started selling for $3.

Can someone explain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
Do any of you feel that outsourcing is part blame on our countries economic situation?
I disagree that "outsourcing is part blame on our countries economic situation". In fact, businesses have made a lot of money by outsourcing since they end up paying a lot less for labor.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,760,963 times
High labor cost does not have direct correlation with production cost. We can offset it by rising manufacturing productivity.
So when people say "if we bring manufacturing back job to US everything's gonna go up," it is not entirely true.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:19 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDevil View Post

I disagree that "outsourcing is part blame on our countries economic situation". In fact, businesses have made a lot of money by outsourcing since they end up paying a lot less for labor.

Outsourcing and "A lot less for labor" is a big part of the blame for the economic situation if you're one of the people who lost a good paying job.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:21 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Who is it, Dell Computer?....that is offering "U.S. based" tech support IF you're willing to pay extra for it.

Is this the future?

Old 02-04-2009, 08:35 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I keep hearing first hand of outsourcing having been done on the IT/programming level to India and all the work coming back as garbage and having to been done over again in the USA.
As much as I hate the outsourcing. That's not totally true. Some actually do really really good work. I managed a few in India and was impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics