Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:18 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,309,515 times

Advertisements

I would call their bluff and go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 09:00 AM

20,699 posts, read 19,340,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Unbelievable all these big corporations are run by a bunch of traitors.
Hi gardener34,

Where do our "elites" live? Greenspan headed off to Switzerland. They have multiple addresses all over the world. The whole world will be like Club Meds with poor hostile natives on the other side of the wall.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:03 PM

371 posts, read 1,566,311 times
My husband got laid off from IBM last week. They don't care for people to better themselves from an experience of working abroad. This is all BS. They know that if they want the work done right you need an American to do it, not an Indian. But they don't want to pay the American. This company will be 80% off shored, mark my words. Only the CEO's and VP'sand you can'tforget the biggest hypocrite Sammy P will be left in the US from IBM. I hope IBM tanks-they are making a big mistake. And if Obama thinks Sammy gives a hoot about making more US jobs??? Please, Sammy is getting a nice fat raise this year, yeah because he saved the company billions-after a record quarter earnings, the next day he lets 5000 IBM'ers go and the White House doesn't see this. He is taking them for a ride. I hope Sammy chokes on his bonus and raise while I scrounge to make my mortgage payment-that fat piece of sh1t!

Old 02-05-2009, 12:43 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,788,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
My husband got laid off from IBM last week. They don't care for people to better themselves from an experience of working abroad. This is all BS. They know that if they want the work done right you need an American to do it, not an Indian. But they don't want to pay the American. This company will be 80% off shored, mark my words. Only the CEO's and VP'sand you can'tforget the biggest hypocrite Sammy P will be left in the US from IBM. I hope IBM tanks-they are making a big mistake. And if Obama thinks Sammy gives a hoot about making more US jobs??? Please, Sammy is getting a nice fat raise this year, yeah because he saved the company billions-after a record quarter earnings, the next day he lets 5000 IBM'ers go and the White House doesn't see this. He is taking them for a ride. I hope Sammy chokes on his bonus and raise while I scrounge to make my mortgage payment-that fat piece of sh1t!

Just as a side discussion, do you think Gerstner was better? (Honest question, not an attack.)

I seem to recall Wall Street "punished" the stock when Sammy took office because he was a 28 year insider, and the thinking went, "Sammy couldn't cut his pet projects and people the way an outsider like 'Cookie Boy' could."

IBM has a lot of interesting policies. I've seen them hire recent college grads right under the nose of experienced folks trapped as contractors and give the new kids better salary and benefits, as one example.

I also recall a time back around 2004 when stories were circulating that they were sending mainframes over to India to train folks over there on. So it would seem this was long in the making.

On the other hand, the Pre-Gerstner full employment policy really couldn't be maintained in today's world. I guess it could, but Wall Street would hate it.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:27 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,282,298 times
Hmm, it's interesting how American Corps have sold Americans and America out. Essentially draining wealth from the US, more specifically, the American middle class, to line the pockets of the few.

Anyhow, corporations are allowed to exist because the government allows them too. Corporations are allowed to sell goods and services in the States because the government, ie the people let them.

So, why not instill a policy that doesn't drain America and her people? If IBM gets 90% of its' profits from the States, then it should employ 90% of its' workforce from the States. Otherwise, it should have to pay higher taxes or some sort of penalty in relation to how much it puts back into America.

That way, if they like to outsource their workforce, they wouldn't be draining on Americans and America but have a neutral effect on our economy.

If they would like to offshore everything... and would not want to pay the fee/penalty... then they can't do business in the States. Simple... if you want to take wealth out of the system, you have to put it back as well. Therefore, maintaining some sense of Stability and sustainability in American and America's wealth. I'm sure if IBM isn't allowed to do business here, some entrepreneur or some other company would easily take its' place.

-chuck22b

Old 02-05-2009, 01:22 PM

371 posts, read 1,566,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Just as a side discussion, do you think Gerstner was better? (Honest question, not an attack.)

I seem to recall Wall Street "punished" the stock when Sammy took office because he was a 28 year insider, and the thinking went, "Sammy couldn't cut his pet projects and people the way an outsider like 'Cookie Boy' could."

IBM has a lot of interesting policies. I've seen them hire recent college grads right under the nose of experienced folks trapped as contractors and give the new kids better salary and benefits, as one example.

I also recall a time back around 2004 when stories were circulating that they were sending mainframes over to India to train folks over there on. So it would seem this was long in the making.

On the other hand, the Pre-Gerstner full employment policy really couldn't be maintained in today's world. I guess it could, but Wall Street would hate it.

To be honest I don'treally know anything about Gerstner or how he ran the company. All I know is that it sickened me to see fat Sam on tv with our new Pres talking about making more jobs for Americans when the sleeze bag is the one taking them away. Sam made himself and all his other fat cats rich while the actual "employees" of the company get treated like dogs. My dh got laid off. He worked his butt off, they never recognize hard work or ever reward you for it. He deserves better than that piece of crap company-its all going to catch up top them one day. One thing I am glad he doesn't have to walk on eggshells anymore....

Old 02-05-2009, 04:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
Akers was a "good old boy". Gerstner came in and cleaned house. The stock went up big time and even split a few times. Gerstner came from the outside and had no qualms about the cleaning.
As a shareholder, I think Gerstner was what IBM needed at the time to turn it around and make the company profitable again.

Currently I think it's back to the "good old boy" mentality. Profits were up but not based on revenue as that was actually down 6%. Profits were made by cutting operating costs. How long can you cut costs with declining revenue and still show a profit ? At some point you will run out of Americans to fire and will have to start laying off in another country. Then, that's not America's problem is it ?

Old 02-06-2009, 06:38 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,964,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's media hype. I'm in IT and there's not one person I know of that would chuck it all and move to India or China.
If I were in my 20's, no family, I'd do in a NY minute. Lot of networking you can do in relatively prosperous economies like India and China.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:46 AM

339 posts, read 1,517,810 times
What I wonder is whether individuals who say they wouldn't go now, would actually have a change of heart when/if things get really desperate for them and/or their family. It's one thing to say you wouldn't go if you currently have a job or have just been laid off with some savings and time to search out new employment. But what happens to that same person or family when they are absolutely bankrupt with no job prospects and for arguement's sake we will say no welfare either because it has dried up? Yet this offer still stands. It's probably hard to say how many would stick to their guns and say "F you and your BS IBM" and how many would throw in the towel and go.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:19 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,264,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
If I were in my 20's, no family, I'd do in a NY minute. Lot of networking you can do in relatively prosperous economies like India and China.
Beat me to it. I lived and worked in Russia for four years (in my 20s, starting a family) and it was an incredible experience professionally and personally.

Most laid off employees obviously aren't going to jump at this, but for those like View mentions, especially who had only been working at IBM for a few months or a year, it's definitely something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics