Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 05:34 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,030 times

Advertisements

Future generations have ALWAYS paid for the mistakes of their foretathers. I am a Viet Nam War era Baby Boomer and have seen it happen over and over and over. Did we learn anything by going to Viet Nam..NO. Our soldiers came home and were treated like crap...my late husband was one of them. This whole economic mess was caused by that Butt-Wad in the stock markets in New York who stole $50 billion dollars, the biggest "Heist" ever recorded...does anyone know if he is in jail? Are our children suffering because of his mistake? ABSOLUTELY. I believe we will pull out of this but it is surely going to HURT first before we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 06:16 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Future generations have ALWAYS paid for the mistakes of their foretathers. I am a Viet Nam War era Baby Boomer and have seen it happen over and over and over. Did we learn anything by going to Viet Nam..NO. Our soldiers came home and were treated like crap...my late husband was one of them. This whole economic mess was caused by that Butt-Wad in the stock markets in New York who stole $50 billion dollars, the biggest "Heist" ever recorded...does anyone know if he is in jail? Are our children suffering because of his mistake? ABSOLUTELY. I believe we will pull out of this but it is surely going to HURT first before we do.
He's under house arrest. That is what the prosecutor suggested. He's under guard, too. No flight risk. He didn't murder anybody. Innocent until proven guilty...posted bail...Yadda Yadda.

I'm glad we don't live in a police state. Do I think he did it? Sure. Has it been proven in a court of law he did it? No. Should we throw him into Gitmo because we hate the idea of what he did? What if you think I did something and I hadn't done it? Does your feelings validate my incarceration? WOuld mine validate yours? "BUT HE'S GUILTY!!!", I hear you say. I totally agree. After all, no one who was innocent has ever gone to prison. Or died there, for that matter.

We sure didn't learn anything from Vietnam. Nothing. In fact, this war is worse. More people have died in this war than in Vietnam. No soldiers are receiving care and they are being spat upon in the streets. It's shameful. I'm tired of seeing our veterans treated like lepers. It's high time we took to the streets to say, "No more! We love our soldiers!"

And finally, I'm really tired of this draft. When will they stop drafting people for this war? It's high time we stopped the draft.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:31 AM

20,709 posts, read 19,355,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
So giving hundreds of billions of dollars to irresponsible elites and bankers who lost money on risky investments is the way to stabilize our nation's economy?

I was wrong when I thought Reagan had the monopoly on voodoo economics!

You've seen Reaganomics, now get ready for Obamaomics!
Hi OhioUberAlles,

Obamba is doing exactly the same thing Bush did absolutely. The only access to money they will provide is credit to banks. Thats right, the Obama plan is we need to owe banks even more.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
That is because he has to kickstart the debt machine. Interest payments and leverage is what grows our economy.

We have long ago left a producer based economy (mfg) and are in a consumer based economy (services, imports). We cannot give people jobs "making stuff" like we did in the past because we no longer do that. We have to get people "buying stuff" but on credit so that it can be leveraged and generate interest to the banks/corporations.

Increasing debt to fix the debt problem will not fix it but I don't see what other choice there is out there..we cannot go back to a producer economy.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:22 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,054,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That is because he has to kickstart the debt machine. Interest payments and leverage is what grows our economy.

We have long ago left a producer based economy (mfg) and are in a consumer based economy (services, imports). We cannot give people jobs "making stuff" like we did in the past because we no longer do that. We have to get people "buying stuff" but on credit so that it can be leveraged and generate interest to the banks/corporations.
How will people pay their debts and interest to the banks if they don't have jobs or the jobs they have are going through paycuts? It just makes no sense. I guess the banks just would rather us starve, be homeless, have nothing and just keep paying them with our money. It's sickening.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
How will people pay their debts and interest to the banks if they don't have jobs or the jobs they have are going through paycuts? It just makes no sense. I guess the banks just would rather us starve, be homeless, have nothing and just keep paying them with our money. It's sickening.
It makes about as much sense as the government giving billions to the auto industry even though no one is buying new cars.

Now the stimulus package will let the government buy hundreds of thousands of new cars to keep the auto industry alive.

You are right..it just makes no sense.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:46 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,920 times
So the big tax credit to the masses ends up a whopping $13 a week. That just makes me get the goosebumps. Next year is dropping to $8 a week. Well it is a bottle of cheap wine I gues. It sure won't save the folks losing their homes now will it? Jobs created will have to be shared with illegal aliens and banks can hire more offshore employees from India. Nancy Pelosi insisted on these items.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:49 AM

It's the race to the bottom and we have to make sure the US is the first one there.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:27 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I'm glad we don't live in a police state. Do I think he did it? Sure. Has it been proven in a court of law he did it? No. Should we throw him into Gitmo because we hate the idea of what he did?...
Maldoff may be in a penthouse arrest, but he might also fit the profile of an economic terrorist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It makes about as much sense as the government giving billions to the auto industry even though no one is buying new cars.

Now the stimulus package will let the government buy hundreds of thousands of new cars to keep the auto industry alive.
I believe auto industry got a loan, not money given to them unconditionally. Regardless, the piece in the recovery package (I don't like to call it stimulus package as it represents a limited scope) about buying new cars is nothing new. Government buys a lot of vehicles every year, about 300K last year. The package only changes investment in more fuel efficient vehicles/hybrids to help that segment grow and also help conserve fuel/operating costs to the government going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
So the big tax credit to the masses ends up a whopping $13 a week. That just makes me get the goosebumps.
It may turn out to be a better idea than the old fashioned of writing a lump sum check turned out to be. The downside may be that people may not spend all of the additional income right away. However, a lump sum amount is likely to be paid off for debt, which will do little to nothing as a stimulus. If $13/week, or about $55/month is pocket change, and you won't spend it, you might be better off saving the additional income and spend it all next Christmas! That will help boost the economy.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:50 AM

1,009 posts, read 874,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi OhioUberAlles,

Obamba is doing exactly the same thing Bush did absolutely. The only access to money they will provide is credit to banks. Thats right, the Obama plan is we need to owe banks even more.

Change we can believe in!

That's if the "we" means elite bankers and globalists.

Change, all we'll have left by the time Obama finishes what Bush II and Clinton started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics