Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 03:07 AM

253 posts, read 1,055,589 times

Advertisements

Anyone here a business consultant?

I've been thinking about going into business consulting but I know I need to do my research first and also eventually decide on an area of specialization. Additionally, I need to figure out if there are any requirements for licenses and certification in California, specifically Los Angeles.

My initial questions to anyone that can answer:

• How did you get started as as business consultant?
  • What area of business consulting do you specialize in?
  • Are you a full-time consultant?
  • Did you get a degree in business and finance or anything similar in order to begin consulting?
  • How did you train to become a consultant?
  • Do you get to travel a lot as a consultant?
  • What is business like for you as a consultant on a day-to-day basis?
I am also interested in the opinions and knowledge of people who might know about consulting although they don't work as consultants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 08:47 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,390,708 times
There are many, many consultants in L.A. looking for work. Your search for work will be much easier if you have an MBA or law degree from a good school and a past life as an executive in a Fortune 500 company, in the financial industry or on Wall Street. Or you might be a successful entrepreneur-- that has street cred, too. It helps to specialize, and if you can find a niche or hone a unique skill, then the other things won't matter as much. It also helps to know people, and that alone can get you in the door or propel you to the top of the list.

Your references need to be impeccable, and they will absolutely verify and probably run a background check, as well. Stellar credentials help and are mandatory with some companies and in some fields of expertise. If you don't have them, realize that many others do and they're out there, looking, too. Sometimes, who you know is more important than what you've done, so it's always wise to network aggressively. But you still have to have the chops. And they will always respond favorably to those little letters after your name: MBA, JD, CPA, etc.

I consulted when I first moved to L.A., while I was transitioning into entertainment. It was competitive and companies wanted that holy grail of degree, experience, expertise. The joke was, "MBA MIT SVP, Hire Me." But who you know trumps all. Good luck to you!

Old 02-15-2009, 07:56 PM

253 posts, read 1,055,589 times
Thank you for the input, although I should have mentioned that I am more interested in freelance business consulting, starting my own business in this vein. I am considering consulting work in the industry of art and design.

I know a lot of artists (including designers although they typically are referred to in some circles as "creatives") who would benefit from solid business advice and guidance. So many artists might be good craftspeople but they lack business skills and direction to work freelance or set up shop on their own. So I am thinking expertise in this area would be well-needed in this industry.

I would imagine that the requirements for freelance consulting would be a little less stringent and streamlined than it would be for application to a corporate in-house position?

I've talked to a few others who mentioned to me that degrees, although helpful, aren't necessarily required for becoming a freelance consultant, just a high knowledge in business and finance among many other facets, specifically related to one's chosen area of specialty...and depending on state/local laws...credentials and licensing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics