Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 06:59 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,303,319 times

Advertisements

Bank of America's CEO is subpoenaed - CNN.com

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...5FFBDF96E70%7D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 07:16 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,163,747 times
Well, their stock is showing their failures as a bank. Though, I'm thinking of making a risky decision to invest a bit at such low per share.....

As for the Merrill Lynch bonuses, that's pretty dirty. However, if this happened before the acquisition, then BoA really cannot be held responsible. While I do not particularly like BoA, I will reserve my ideals until all of the court hearings have concluded.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:20 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,943,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Well, their stock is showing their failures as a bank. Though, I'm thinking of making a risky decision to invest a bit at such low per share.....

As for the Merrill Lynch bonuses, that's pretty dirty. However, if this happened before the acquisition, then BoA really cannot be held responsible. While I do not particularly like BoA, I will reserve my ideals until all of the court hearings have concluded.
The quarterly statement will show their sucess or failure as an enterprise... they still made money in the last year. The stock price shows a complete lack of confidence in their ability to make money for shareholders in the future... that is to be seen.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:59 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,780,328 times
did Ken Lewis arrive to the courthouse in his private jet?

Old 02-20-2009, 12:06 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,148,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
did Ken Lewis arrive to the courthouse in his private jet?
haha!

I'm all for free enterprise and for anyone who makes gobs of money within the process. However, once someone has come to tax payers to ask for a bail out with our money....they should have to fall under our scrutiny and play within the boundaries of what we think is fair. Private jets and lavish lifestyles just don't come with that package.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:10 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,770,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
The quarterly statement will show their sucess or failure as an enterprise... they still made money in the last year. The stock price shows a complete lack of confidence in their ability to make money for shareholders in the future... that is to be seen.
Close. I think its fear of Chris Dodd and Nationalization (aka shares = 0).

BofA actually has some amazing long term growth potential, but as long as the government is looming overhead, it isn't a good investment. BofA took a massive amount of the toxic assets on the street when it bought Merril Lynch (which the government prodded them to do), and until that gets under control, the government will probably watch over BofA.

BofA was one of the stronger banks before it bought Merril Lynch, remember that. If it goes down, there really is NO other bank that can take that toxic asset load, and you WILL see mass nationalization of our financial system. As scary as it sounds, BofA is almost like a firewall before a domino effect. Chase has B. Sterns and WAMU (who the government also guarenteed) to deal with. Wells Fargo has Wachovia (not guarenteed but maxed them out). Citi is in worse shape. Goldman and Morgan are strange because they still don't have a large deposit base, so they may or may not be able to handle BofA. Morgan especially since it is already involved in taking assets from Citi slowly via a joint venture. However if commercial asset CDO's come under pressure, I have a feeling those two won't be looking to take on any more. Most likely not, even though BofA has the largest deposit amount of all US banks (about 10% of all US deposits).

Aside, Citigroup was in trouble before all this hit the fan anyways so I wouldn't be surprised if they do get split up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics