Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 03:52 PM

311 posts, read 693,904 times

Advertisements

I think its just low population.Alot of people that grow up in ND move to other states.So the jobs in ND have to deal with a small worker pool to begin with.Then you add in an oil boom to the mix and you have a worker shortage in a state no one wants to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 04:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Demographics (# in poverty, level of income / skill, factory vs. ag, forest vs, grain crops) is very relevant based on the type of work being done, but 'race related demographics' is not a substantial contributor. I think you will find the math of statistics is painting your target region in a favorable light. (a prairie dog myself).

I think you are correct in the higher number of minorities in sub prime due to the repeal of GSA What Was The Glass-Steagall Act? and subsequent irrational exuberance of 'self-regulated' but unleashed lenders (and those who were getting fined for not writing loans to minorities).

Been a longtime coming and highly enabled by Greenspan and many others who were into 'pumping-things-up', and during their watch.

We were on thin ice for some time... Global warming caused by China hosting the Olympics caused us (US) to start cracking through. When we begin to enter another ice age, things will improve (equivalent of moving to ND )

Actually, ND total employment would not put a dent in the 'unemployed' in my current (soon to be ex) state

There is also an element of conservative gov and higher % of workers in AG / ranch / self employed in the states mentioned. Even when the 'bust' comes (anti-coal) you will not see high unemployment #, as the energy workforce is transient and will go to NM, AZ, TX to save on their own energy expense.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:43 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Don't forget agriculture. People still have to eat.
Yep. And Bush's trillion dollar farm handout bill probably helped too. It is OK to stimulate the farm economy with Republicans but never the Main street economy.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spring greenery View Post
The more I look into it the more I am convinced that demographics are a major factor in the better economy and lower unemployment of the Great Plains and Mountain States vs places like Florida and California. Go to the BLS website and you will see that the places with very high unemployment are GENERALLY in towns and States with high Black and Hispanic populations. (African American unemployment nationally is 13%, Hispanic 11.5%). So States with a large number of African Americans and Hispanics will have a higher unemployment rate.

Also the real estate market in States with a large number of residents who are either Hispanic and or Black is worse because they had a larger number of sub prime loans than whites. The places with the largest amount of foreclosures are the places that are struggling the most.
It more because historically blacks and now Hispanics tend to work and live in manufacturing areas where jobs could be found. Hispanics also tend to be overrepresented in the construction trades which have been absolutely killed in this economy.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:46 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Yep. And Bush's trillion dollar farm handout bill probably helped too. It is OK to stimulate the farm economy with Republicans but never the Main street economy.
Bush vetoed the bill (twice on a technicallity) and was overridden. Get your facts straight.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:21 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,788,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spring greenery View Post
The more I look into it the more I am convinced that demographics are a major factor in the better economy and lower unemployment of the Great Plains and Mountain States vs places like Florida and California. Go to the BLS website and you will see that the places with very high unemployment are GENERALLY in towns and States with high Black and Hispanic populations. (African American unemployment nationally is 13%, Hispanic 11.5%). So States with a large number of African Americans and Hispanics will have a higher unemployment rate.

Also the real estate market in States with a large number of residents who are either Hispanic and or Black is worse because they had a larger number of sub prime loans than whites. The places with the largest amount of foreclosures are the places that are struggling the most.
Texas seems to be doing quite fine. We're hiring like crazy where I work (the San Antonio site, but we're laying off in Seattle). There are TONS of hispanics here. They make up the majority here.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:06 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,821 times
North Dakota's economy is very locally based (small businesses, local banks, etc.) because it's in the "middle of nowhere" and national corporations and banks haven't gotten a chance in there yet. So, in that respect, bank meltdowns and the like aren't affecting their banks. They export a lot of livestock and such as well (you know, those necessary food items). The work done there doesn't always make you wealthy, but it's fairly stable because their "needed" industries.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:16 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,821 times
Quote:

I live in Atlanta. It has alot of Black people and people from other demographics. For the longest time, we actually had the lowest unemployment rate of any large metro. It also has a very high median income, yet the cost of living is low compared to the median income (so, we don't have that problem like LA w/ $600K homes while the median income was $45K). The metro is only ~55% white. So, race has nothing to do with it. We're just now hitting the average unemployment rate due to the real estate collapse.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:37 AM

40 posts, read 128,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
I live in Atlanta. It has alot of Black people and people from other demographics. For the longest time, we actually had the lowest unemployment rate of any large metro. It also has a very high median income, yet the cost of living is low compared to the median income (so, we don't have that problem like LA w/ $600K homes while the median income was $45K). The metro is only ~55% white. So, race has nothing to do with it. We're just now hitting the average unemployment rate due to the real estate collapse.
The Black unemployment rate is very high in the Atlanta area, especially for African Americans under the age of 29. It is close to 20%. This has a major impact on the unemployment rate for the whole Metro Area because of the large minority population.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

(Black unemployment is twice that of whites)

Old 02-25-2009, 06:34 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,426,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Aside from being flat out wrong, this isn't a political discussion. There are tons of threads for you to jump into in the political section if you'd like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics