Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Are YOU Cutting Back For the Economy? (Choose As Many As You Want)
Smaller House or Apartment 15 22.73%
Get Rid of Pets 2 3.03%
Private School for Children 6 9.09%
Older or Smaller Car/ No New Car 29 43.94%
Boat/ RV/Motorcycle or Other Vehicle 7 10.61%
Internet/Cable or Satellite TV or Radio 11 16.67%
Wal*Mart Instead of Grocery Stores or Dept Stores 17 25.76%
Cell Phones/ Home Phone 5 7.58%
Delay Retirement 14 21.21%
Delay College/ Children's College 4 6.06%
Not Taking Vacation/ Vacation Close To Home 34 51.52%
Stop or Cut IRA Contributions 13 19.70%
Other 16 24.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:37 AM

14,990 posts, read 23,806,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
We are all told that the economy is bad and we all have to cut back and sacrifice. That is, except the rich of course. So I am wondering what you and your family are going to sacrifice because of the economy. Where can you really cut back without it really putting a hurt on your style of life?
Not sure I understand this topic. Cutting back and sacrificing, ironically, will make the economy worse. Obama's stimulus package is intended to get people to spend, not cut back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 09:45 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,567,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Not sure I understand this topic. Cutting back and sacrificing, ironically, will make the economy worse. Obama's stimulus package is intended to get people to spend, not cut back.
What is he doing to HELP Americans NOWWWW without pork/helping the banks/insurance and waiting for a "maybe" down the road?

Old 03-02-2009, 09:47 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,491,745 times
Quote:
I made that an option because I saw a story on how people are giving up DSL and Cable internet and going back to dial up.

Consumers return to dial-up to save -- OrlandoSentinel.com (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/yourmoney/orl-bizdialup28022809feb28,0,7456328.story - broken link)
Dial up? I think I rather take a bullet to the head................or at least pay the extra $319. I tried using the "new" and "improved speed" dial up about a year ago at a friends house. And let me use on word to describe it....SUCKS!

Now the car thing and the vacation thing I'm down with. That actually stuff I never put a priority on. I usually ride my cars till they die or get to expensive to fix. As for vacations.............I always try to make the most out of here I'm. Granted I try to get out of New Jersey a bit (driving) and head home to MA once a month.....I wouldn't call it a vacation, more of a time to clear my head and connect to/maintain my cultural roots.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:49 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,626,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah, that $13 a week is really helping us let me tell you.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:51 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,626,476 times
Quote:
We were planning to spend 4 days in Vegas and the Grand canyon this summer. Cancelled.
Kevk,
The grand canyon is a must see. Vegas isnt all that special though.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:58 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,456,469 times
I've always been very conservative w/ money so I'm not making any real discretionary spending adjustments (we're not cutting spending). However, we are (and have) been adjusting our investments/savings. We are also making a point of visiting our favorite stores/restaurants in the hopes that our effort will keep them afloat until this economic conflagration passes.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:45 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,995,054 times
We've stopped buying anything, but the barest necessities. We are going on vacation later this year with our tax refund. We are going to drive out to OR to visit my husbands family since we haven't seen them in 4 years. We are driving because it'll cost us about $400 in gas versus the $1000 for a plane ticket and then the cost of a rental car on top of it. We will be staying with his mother so there won't be a hotel cost.

Once I return to work, hopefully in a couple of days, we should be able to loosen up the purse strings a bit and pay off more of our debt. I'm taking that extra $14 a week that my household will be getting from the stimulus and adding it to a credit card payment each month. The cost of my medical also went down by $100/month this year and once I'm earning my full-time wage again I'll be able to tack on that to a credit card as well.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:02 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,629,449 times
Seems like the OP meant BECAUSE of the economy;not to help the economy.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:03 AM

20,622 posts, read 19,271,044 times
Quote:
We are all told that the economy is bad and we all have to cut back and sacrifice. That is, except the rich of course. So I am wondering what you and your family are going to sacrifice because of the economy. Where can you really cut back without it really putting a hurt on your style of life?

Hi KevK,

Its time to learn the simple fact that cutting back and hoarding the medium of exchange is ruinous to all but those being bailed out by the FED.

1. US spends to much and the economy tanks.
2. China and Japan save and manufacture and the economy tanks.

1. If people save, workers are laid off and can't pat their debts and the economy tanks.
2. If people are already in debt and they spend they will go into more debt and the economy tanks.

Can't save, can't go into more debt.

Its a paradox. However like all of them that actually exist they are an apparent paradox.

The goods and services economy has a debt it cannot repay and it was done by a colossal fraud. Until transactions can be conducted without interest bearing bank credit you can save all you like. The root of it is debt is money and money is debt.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:52 AM

14,990 posts, read 23,806,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Seems like the OP meant BECAUSE of the economy;not to help the economy.
Yeah it could be, but a recession is selective - if you are a business owner or unemployed, or living off investments or face uncertain employment, then you make sacrifices.

But for some, if you have a fixed guaranteed income or secure employment, this economy works to the advantage - prices are lower, consumer buying incentives are out there, and since savings rates are low you have no incentive to save.

I'm still confused about the OP's statement "We are all told that the economy is bad and we all have to cut back and sacrifice." Who is saying cut back and sacrifice? Not the government - they are spending like there is no tommorrow. The government, by example and by incentive (Obama's anti-stimulus) is telling us the consumer not to cut back and to spend like crazy, while at the same time frightening us to cut back by saying the economy is getting worse.

It's interesting however of the cause and effect - the consumer cut's back BECAUSE they are being told the economy is bad, and then the layoffs occur and the economy becomes bad (or worse than it was before).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics