Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:57 AM

485 posts, read 1,840,236 times

Advertisements

The news media is telling us that we are currently in the biggest economic collapse since the 1930s. But:

Most of us who want to work are going to our jobs every day (unemployment is up but near an historical low)

Our bank accounts are secure (unlike the 1930s)

The American Dollar is rising against foreign currencies

The world economic leaders and federal reserve are working to solve the problems (unlike the 1930s)

Property values have not changed much in the last six months

Business are still making relatively good profits

Our ATM and credit cards are still working

There is still lots of things to buy and people will still be buying things for Christmas

The Airports are jammed and my local travel agent is still getting lots of calls.

People are still going to the stores and buying computers, DVDs and Plasma Televisions.
-------
Sure, times are tough for some of us but this is hardly like the Great Depression or the Reagan Recession in the early 1980s.

Last edited by Refugee56; 10-08-2008 at 09:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 09:04 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
The news media is telling us that we are currently in the biggest economic collapse since the 1930s. But:

Most of us who want to work are going to our jobs every day (unemployment is up but near an historical low)

There is still lots of things to buy and people will still be buying things for Christmas

The Airports are jammed and my local travel agent is still getting lots of calls.

People are still going to the stores and buying computers, DVDs and Plasma Televisions.

Sure, times are tough for some of us but this is hardly like the Great Depression or the Reagan Recession in the early 1980s.
I guess everything will just be dandy for you up until they take you off to the FEMA camps.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:06 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times
the world ecconomy is colapsing, what are you talking about. The only way to save the world is new leadership, if that doesnt work, then maybe we can try "saving the cheerleader" next

Old 10-08-2008, 09:11 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
I guess everything will just be dandy for you up until they take you off to the FEMA camps.
He'll be fine in the camps too. I hear they're pre-interviewing for trustees.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:12 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:

You are correct that the storm is (still) at higher levels than over half of America. Mostly a top-end problem -- and that is why The Powers That Be have their panties in a roll. And makes it sort of funny to me. But wait a while -- when the toilets really back up it is the lower floors that are really in deep . . . .

At least they started the end game with the "Stimulus Package" for the peons. If they give the bottom a dime, it might make them complain less when the top end starts stealing the dollars.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:14 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
the world economy is collapsing, what are you talking about. The only way to save the world is new leadership, if that doesn't work, then maybe we can try "saving the cheerleader" next
The only problem I can see with replacing the current world leadership is trying to find any "leaders" who haven't been corrupted to one degree or another.

I wonder how we are going to fix our problems at the local & state level as well.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:14 AM

38 posts, read 71,005 times
Quote:

Uhh actually unemployment Real unemployment is between 9-11%
Our government decided to recalculate these numbers during the Clinton administration.Look it up.

Yeah,we have insurance,too bad the FDIC only has about 43 Billion left in their account to pay up.Basically,they can only handle one more large bank failure.

A new report just came out today I believe and while sales are up,prices are down.That actually is a good thing because the inflated values of the past we not sustainable.

Really? Quite a few reports that have came out have said otherwise.Except for Wal Mart and Costco at least.

Yeah today they are.Wait until these banks that issued CDS's find out exactly how much they really owe. Lehman Brothers CDS auction is Friday.Yippee.

On Credit?

On Credit?

Once again,on credit? Do you know how many people are actually paying CASH?

Nope this definitely will be a whole new ballgame. I'm afraid not in a good way though......

Old 10-08-2008, 09:34 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Well; I guess I am part of that 10% who is suffering----------my work has been down 25-30% compared to this time last year. I am an auto alignment technician.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:40 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Well; I guess I am part of that 10% who is suffering----------my work has been down 25-30% compared to this time last year. I am an auto alignment technician.
jmho, for your business, it is mostly a market-you-are-in problem.

Again, jmho, but presently gas (and diesel) autos are on the wrong side of history. Think buggy and buggy whip makers. Did not all go under in one day, but by 1910 the future of that industry was already written. Get out of gas and diesel automobiles while you still have other options.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:43 AM

485 posts, read 1,840,236 times
The streets were full of people going to work this morning. The large company I work for is still hiring and a large number of people came in for orientation yesterday. The restaurants near where I work are full and there were lines at the movie theatre this weekend. Hardly a scene out of the great depression.

People are using credit cards because they want the points!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics