Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 02:28 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times

Advertisements

I think the protected age group starts at 45 not 40.

I have been involved in large reduction-in-force programs at several corporations and have never seen any focus on age or pay... it has always been on capabilities. When reducing staff the most important factor is your ability to continue bussiness operations. This may be different in an operation where there is a large over surplus of skilled workers but that is not all that common in today's business environment.

The important things in every job is good relations with the overall staff and getting the job done while you make the boss look good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 03:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I see alot of businesses hiring retired workers on contract to avoid the training ;benefits hassle and just paying them more up front.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:14 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleo View Post
Those are crap jobs to begin with then.

Depending on the job, management would never hire someone without experience, because it would take forever to train them and bring them up to speed. They want someone who can perform NOW.

Snot-nosed? Did you get schooled by a recent graduate? Kids ARE getting smarter these days, so you better keep up or get burnt.
Do we have a little CHIP on our shoulder? I was making an observation. And no it isn't just crap jobs that hire freshly graduated students. I work for an aerospace company and I've seen it. So please stick your head back up your arse now.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:21 PM

371 posts, read 1,567,127 times
IBM does this...they like the recent grads so they can pay them cheap and mold them....while the knowledge walks out the door.....lets see how far they get.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:24 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times
Gee..thanks..glad to know Im a soon-to-be snot-nosed college grad.

Hopefully not all older workers feel that way.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:39 PM

96 posts, read 370,988 times
It really depends on the job. How many CEOs, CFOs, CIO, etc are under 40? Do yourself a favor and make lifelong learning an education and a top priority in your company.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I think it was several years ago when K-Mart fired employes over 40 and replaced them with cheaper young people.... Does anyone here know how that lawsuit came out. I do remember they were sued for it.
I guess it didn't matter..Circuit City did the same thing and see where they are today.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:08 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I think one factor is the population size of different ages. 15-29 year olds and 45-54 year olds make up the biggest shares of the population right now, Baby Boomers and Gen Y. As of 2009, the 15-19 year olds are the peak 4 years of generation Y, and currently the largest 4-year population block in the US. That is a big, moving target for advertisers for years to come.

Population Pyramids for United States (http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/ipc/idbpyry.pl?cty=US&maxp=14472339&maxa=85&ymax=300&y r=2009&.submit=Submit+Query - broken link)
Ohhhh! Thank you for posting this! I keep wondering where to target a business and now you've pointed out a bubble in 15 to 19 year olds. That's a huge help!

Old 03-12-2009, 08:47 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Do we have a little CHIP on our shoulder? I was making an observation. And no it isn't just crap jobs that hire freshly graduated students. I work for an aerospace company and I've seen it. So please stick your head back up your arse now.
Can't take the heat grandpa? If you hadn't qualified recent college grads as snot-nosed maybe the above poster wouldn't have jumped your chili. What's your point anyways, you were an untrained chimp once too. Standard boomer remark I tell ya.

A baby boomer aerospace worker are you kidding me? You guys are the worst kind. Why do you think NASA is on shambles? Because your demographic didn't want to give up the helm post-Apollo. I don't know where this "we're God's gift to the industry, they're untrained chimps" attitude comes from, you guys were the ones who got the full value of a college education post GI Bill, nowadays these 'untrained chimps' are getting a high school diploma's marketability for the same effort and education, and a higher debt load. If anything you're the one with the chip on the shoulder because these kids are working twice as hard to undercut you and you can't hack it anymore. Hate the game, not the player. Management will always look for ways to cut cost and undercut the proletariat, for you to blame the young and hungry, particularly in light of the comparative advantages you had to become the trained chimp you currently are, is disingenuous beyond belief. You're not special, you're replaceable, even at your level of age and experience. What do you want these 'kids' to do, forego employment and take their aerospace education to Applebees so that the boomers can continue hoggin up the line 'til their hearts content? LOL We gotta pay bills too, the sooner you guys get out of the way the sooner this conga line will pick back up. I don't want to have to work till 70 just because y'all overspent as a generation and are delaying the inevitable. Untrained chimps, what a gem ROTFL

Old 03-12-2009, 08:50 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
40 became old when people figured out the boss is jerking them around.
new cheap and stupid is good.
time for a labor movement yet? no? oaky doaky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics