Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 12:01 PM

371 posts, read 1,566,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't understand how Citi and GM can go from the verge of nationalization and bankruptcy to solvent and profitable in 7 days..that one still boggles my mind.
Maybe they were never in the negative to begin with but just wanted the bailout? Anything is possible these days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 12:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
Maybe they were never in the negative to begin with but just wanted the bailout? Anything is possible these days!
No they are bleeding money. False hope news.
No 10Q documents were filed to make that "news" official.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:08 PM

371 posts, read 1,566,690 times
Up again today......4 days in a row...

Old 03-13-2009, 03:17 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisDD View Post
Okay doom and gloomers, what a past couple of days we just had on the market. It feels good to see the number in the green. Dare I call we bottomed on Monday?

Ah, what the heck, I will. There are a ton of bad things right now, but having been all over the world, we really have some smart minds and talent in this country.

Market at 10K by Summer

if japan is anything to go by we'll bottom at 2000. here the nikkei is seen at it's high of just under 40000. that's forty thousand in 1990. todays price: 7569!

Old 03-13-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I am not sure why there is a rally on the DOW so far but economic times are still dismal at best... I don't have such a positive outlook...I remember a few people said 10k last year and at the beginning of this year... haven't materialize but it doesn't make you wrong or right.. indicators in the economy however suggests you are wrong...

i'll tell you why, it's called other peoples money! if those traders who gamble with your pension fund shared your losses the way they share your gains, they'd be a lot more careful about calling bottoms and going long!

Old 03-13-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
So if suddenly people all started acting blissfully happy, you really think the CEOs/govco/Fed would stop the biggest heist in history?

not on your life!

Old 03-13-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK94 View Post
an attitude like that will make the recession deeper. the only reason the dow is up is because people are taking advantage of the low share prices and are starting to buy. what this will do is cause share prices to rise (because the dow is up) which will turn more people away from buying stocks, thus causing the stock buyers to lose money because they have no one to sell to (prices too high) which means they have to hold on to the shares because no one is buying stocks because they drove the prices up. it is confusing, i know. but, if you dont listen to the tv then DONT listen to them when they tell you to buy. you cant pick and choose what to do.

errrrrr? huh?

Old 03-13-2009, 03:57 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
A few of points here ................

First, no recession is the same as the last and history does not repeat itself. This depression will not be a rerun of the Great Depression.

Second, there is a huge amount of cash out there waiting for a place to invest. Any good news brings cash into the market. I still think it is a Bear market but this will limit the length of the Bear market IMHO.

Third, there are a lot oif good companies whose share price do not reflect a fundamentally strong business or balance sheet.

Finally, there are definitely sound companies who have taken government money. American Express is a good example of this. They are now having second thoughts since they discovered the government will cap executive pay.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:03 PM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
if japan is anything to go by we'll bottom at 2000. here the nikkei is seen at it's high of just under 40000. that's forty thousand in 1990. todays price: 7569!
Hi 58robbo,

One reason is because Japanese will not go into debt which would increase the money supply. This has maintained depression like conditions. Mean while the low interest rate still picks their pocket to reduce the buying power of the Yen due to the currency carry trade. The only new money coming into the system was from government spending which is why the GDP to debt ratio is so high at 180% GDP. However most of this is Japanese held debt. All they needed to do was lower taxes if they cared about the average Japanese.
Yet even as it is they are better off. Since more of there money is represented in government created debt it is without interest to borrowers and more of their currency circulates interest free( assuming the central banks restores profits to the treasury).

Old 03-13-2009, 04:16 PM

567 posts, read 1,445,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
A few of points here ................

First, no recession is the same as the last and history does not repeat itself. This depression will not be a rerun of the Great Depression.

Second, there is a huge amount of cash out there waiting for a place to invest. Any good news brings cash into the market. I still think it is a Bear market but this will limit the length of the Bear market IMHO.

Third, there are a lot oif good companies whose share price do not reflect a fundamentally strong business or balance sheet.

Finally, there are definitely sound companies who have taken government money. American Express is a good example of this. They are now having second thoughts since they discovered the government will cap executive pay.
i never said every recession is the same., what im saying is that every recession has bear market rallies (llike we are having now).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics