U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 01:09 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,423,658 times

Advertisements

Please leave the racist crap at the door man. You keep saying white this and white that. Our president is black for gods sake. You have a hang up that minorities/blacks don't have a chance or something. I grew up poorer than a lot of minorities and had no support from my mother other than her teaching me morals and values.

Welfare is not just for the elderly & sick people. Welfare is just fine when its used by deserving people who have paid their taxes and are going through rough times. Its there for them! It's not for people who sling dope on the corner and don't even attempt to look for a job etc.

"What if you have a kid? What if you are a minority? What if you are living in a bad situation, but your conscience simply wont let you depend on charity and welfare to get you situated in another locale?"

Conscience won't let you depend on charity? No, thats not your conscience thats your pride. If you let your pride get in the way of food on the table then you deserve to starve. Minority? Like Obama? haha.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 01:37 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,216,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Some people have more to consider then abandoning everything theyve worked hard for and leaving to the unknown. Yeah, college kid, with no possessions, good health, white skin....he can pack up everything he owns in a back pack and leave. What if you have a kid? What if you are a minority? What if you are living in a bad situation, but your conscience simply wont let you depend on charity and welfare to get you situated in another locale? What if you have a house load of things youve worked very hard to get? Should you abandon all of that, for the "chance" of having an increase in standard of living?
It can be done because we did it. We were living in high cost NJ in a house we had for 22 years. One day we took a look at our two teenagers and realized they would never have a quality of life in NJ because of the high cost of living, and the fact that neither one being a scholar, upper level education wouldn't help them.

We did internet searches. We were not looking for a place that necessarily had a lower cost of living, we were looking for a place where the local cable installer and his receptionist wife could afford a decent house. We found it in Oklahoma. We sold our house in NJ (just as the market came tumbling down -- took a hit on that), bought a house here in OK. It took us about 5 months to find good, stable jobs with benefits. We worked crap jobs before that. We've been here a year now. We were even able to buy my daughter a much desired horse. One child has adjusted wonderfully, the other is dragging his feet a bit, but doing okay.

It took nerve, but we did it because we wanted a better life for our kids.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
It can be done because we did it. We were living in high cost NJ in a house we had for 22 years. One day we took a look at our two teenagers and realized they would never have a quality of life in NJ because of the high cost of living, and the fact that neither one being a scholar, upper level education wouldn't help them.

We did internet searches. We were not looking for a place that necessarily had a lower cost of living, we were looking for a place where the local cable installer and his receptionist wife could afford a decent house. We found it in Oklahoma. We sold our house in NJ (just as the market came tumbling down -- took a hit on that), bought a house here in OK. It took us about 5 months to find good, stable jobs with benefits. We worked crap jobs before that. We've been here a year now. We were even able to buy my daughter a much desired horse. One child has adjusted wonderfully, the other is dragging his feet a bit, but doing okay.

It took nerve, but we did it because we wanted a better life for our kids.
They are going to say that you are the exception and other people can't do what you did unless they are lucky or white. Me personally, I want to congratulate you and your family for making a tough yet smart choice in moving to a lower cost of living area and making the best of it. A lot of people on the east and west coast are stuck in the rat race and find themselves working their butts off just to pay the mortgage/rent and then they have nothing left over.

My wife and I made the same type of move you did. We stopped and analyzed where we were in life and what we wanted out of life. We decided that MD's high cost of living would not provide what we wanted. We would be breaking our necks trying to have kids and put them in daycare etc. all while trying to maintain a high mortgage. We decided to move to Dallas, TX and our quality of life improved soooo much once we did that. The funny thing is most of the people in our neighborhood are from the east coast and the west coast. We run into more transplants than we do locals.

I think there are a lot of people out there who get caught up in day to day things and never actually take the time to ask themselves what they want out of life. They just blindly stay in whatever environment they are in and just succumb to that particular lifestyle without giving it much of a second thought. Glad we used our brains that GOD gave us!

Old 03-23-2009, 02:09 PM

5,517 posts, read 9,419,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
Please leave the racist crap at the door man. You keep saying white this and white that. Our president is black for gods sake. You have a hang up that minorities/blacks don't have a chance or something. I grew up poorer than a lot of minorities and had no support from my mother other than her teaching me morals and values.
Minorities are STILL discriminated against. Especially through the deep South. Just because Obama became president does not magically mean racism is gone. That is a white mans answer. In fact, Obamas election became ABOUT race to many people.

I guess you didnt hear about that survey done where 100 resumes were sent out with "white" names, and 100 with ethnic names. Same EXACT qualifications, the white names were called back at a rate of 5 to 1.

Quote:
Welfare is not just for the elderly & sick people. Welfare is just fine when its used by deserving people who have paid their taxes and are going through rough times. Its there for them! It's not for people who sling dope on the corner and don't even attempt to look for a job etc.
Widespread welfare amongst the able bodied is only neccessary because of capitalism. By the way, dope slingers on the corner would not be eligible for any type of welfare unless they had children. Almost every form of welfare requires a person to work at least some hours a week.

Quote:
"What if you have a kid? What if you are a minority? What if you are living in a bad situation, but your conscience simply wont let you depend on charity and welfare to get you situated in another locale?"

Conscience won't let you depend on charity? No, thats not your conscience thats your pride. If you let your pride get in the way of food on the table then you deserve to starve. Minority? Like Obama? haha.....
I see, so, I should build my life plan off of sucking the system dry, because capitalism has made it far too hard to get ahead. Nice plan. Well gee, maybe, since I could easily be declared disabled, maybe I should go that way, after all, its free money, and I wouldnt have to drag myself in to work every day. Oh wait, I actually am concerned about taking money from someone who is even more disabled.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
They are going to say that you are the exception and other people can't do what you did unless they are lucky or white.
No, luck and being white arent prerequisites, just things that make it easier. Having 22 years of equity in an overpriced area helps as well.

Quote:
A lot of people on the east and west coast are stuck in the rat race and find themselves working their butts off just to pay the mortgage/rent and then they have nothing left over.
Thats the problem. For instance, in my case, Ive been planning to leave for 4 years, but havent been able to save enough money after basic expenses to move my possessions or have a few months of expenses in the new area.

Quote:
They just blindly stay in whatever environment they are in and just succumb to that particular lifestyle without giving it much of a second thought. Glad we used our brains that GOD gave us!
I dont think its a "blind" thing at all in most cases. I routinely criticize the Norfolk, VA area, and Ive been saving all I can to leave. However, Im going nowhere until Ive given myself a shot to succeed wherever I go.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:29 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,005,077 times
Hey, Randomdude, take charge of your own life. If you want to move, then save up. If you feel as if you can't save up, then cut costs to the bone or get a second job.

Lots of people (including me) had to do stuff like that to build a nice lifestyle for their families.

You don't have time to complain or spend all day on C-D. You have a lot of work to do. So, get going...No whining, no complaining, no griping, no blaming other people--you don't have time for that.

You -- do it for you. Forget all the other a-holes...do it for you. If anyone gets in your way, just step around them--no griping, no complaining, no anger, just do it. It is a lot of hard work--but it really is simple. If you make a way for yourself, you will be surprised at the doors that will open for you---but you have to make a way for yourself first.

Don't give anyone the power over you to turn you into a failure. NOBODY. Because you are in charge of your life....so GO TO IT. Get started RIGHT NOW.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:33 PM

2,193 posts, read 4,690,726 times
What are your guys idea of making it? Working 60+ hours, 7 days a week, day and night, plus checking email and joining conference calls while on vacation for some unsecure 'full time' job that you just get laid off from after some amount of years? And then being wrapped up in a 30 year mortgage and refinancing it every so often to a new 30 year mortgage?

What a great life to look forward to lol!

Old 03-23-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Hey, Randomdude, take charge of your own life. If you want to move, then save up. If you feel as if you can't save up, then cut costs to the bone or get a second job.
1. Again, this isnt about me. Every single person can not just "move". Taking advantage of a shift of population, is not solving the problem.

2. Get another job? I have a college freaking degree in accounting. When does it end? Should I get a third job? A forth? Should I get 23 roommates? Twenty Four? Why the hell should the lower classes have to continuously work more, get more training, go further in to debt to get to the exact same spot their parents were in? How does that even make sense? And then, if we HAPPEN to break through in to a higher income bracket or gain more wealth, we can look forward to our struggle making it ten times harder for a dozen other people to make it.

Quote:
You don't have time to complain or spend all day on C-D. You have a lot of work to do.
Actually I do. Its called being underemployed. Since I am in a job that requires a fraction of my intellegence and skill, since it takes 10+ years of experience a CPA and an MBA to get a job around here on my level, I find myself with a huge amount of time to pursue things that are far more stimulating. However, since Im a wage slave, I have to sit in the office, which means I cant pursue things that are financially rewarding.

Quote:
So, get going...No whining, no complaining, no griping, no blaming other people--you don't have time for that.
Sorry, I wont sit by and swim upstream and take it. My parents swam upstream all their life, sent me to school to do better then them, and turns out, I needed that degree to graduate and make less in real compensation then my Dad did 4 years enlisted in the Navy in the late 70's.

Quote:
You -- do it for you. Forget all the other a-holes...do it for you.
If anyone gets in your way, just step around them--no griping, no complaining, no anger, just do it.
Sorry, I wasnt born that way. I cant step on people or around them and just keep moving. When I was 14 years old, I played baseball, and I was the best player on the team by far. We lost every game that year, and the last game of the season, the coach told me and two other people (the captains) to make the line up. I wanted to put people at positions they always wanted to play all year, since I thought they should be rewarded just once for the work they put in all season. I was out voted by the other two, and then led a team protest consisting of me and all the "bad players" who were going to be spending yet another game on the bench.

Quote:
It is a lot of hard work--but it really is simple. If you make a way for yourself, you will be surprised at the doors that will open for you---but you have to make a way for yourself first.
I went to college....I have done exceptionally well every where Ive been, Im carrying letters of recommendation from every CFO Ive worked under, my work has been viewed by one of the top CEO's in this country. Guess where Im at? Oh yeah, making below national median income for the nation and my field, and Im underemployed.

Quote:
Don't give anyone the power over you to turn you into a failure. NOBODY. Because you are in charge of your life....so GO TO IT. Get started RIGHT NOW.
Actually, since I have no capital, EVERYONE has power over me. Its not a "let" thing. Its just a fact.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:53 PM

Sheenie,
Who are you talking to exactly? If you are talking to me I work a 40 hour per week job. Yes, I do get a lot of emails but its what I get paid for. I currently have a 30 year mortgage that I'm aggressively paying off. I pay $10,800 extra per year and at this rate I will have it paid off in 15 years. I have slowly paid everything else off and have sacrificed immensely to get to this position in life. My wife and I are in a running club with other people with whom we network with. We are also very active in our community.

I won't refinance our mortgage unless I can get a much better rate. I will still be paying it off as fast as possible though. What you are talking about is people who over consume. They refinance ever so often and always have that mortgage to deal with. We want to pay ours off so we don't have that monkey on our backs. We look forward to a future where we don't have a mortgage payment and instead can put money away for our kids future and just enjoy life... help people etc.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:57 PM

Randomdue,
I don't know what to tell you. You seem to have all the answers already. I wish you well in whatever it is you plan on doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics