U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 03:03 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,215,494 times

Advertisements

Randomdude,

There is just no getting around your bitterness. I strongly believe that is what's holding you back. Remember if you think you can or you think you can't, you're probably right. Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 03:07 PM

2,193 posts, read 4,690,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post

Sorry, I wont sit by and swim upstream and take it. My parents swam upstream all their life, sent me to school to do better then them, and turns out, I needed that degree to graduate and make less in real compensation then my Dad did 4 years enlisted in the Navy in the late 70's.

I agree w/ this. My parents bought a house in Westchester NY in the 80s on one income. It was purchased for 80K. Now that same house is worth 500K. How is one supposed to even afford that house even with one earning 6 figures AND a second income? Mind you this house is not near the city (an hour from manhattan) and the closest train station is 12 minutes away.

Also at the time my dad worked 9-5 and was home at 5:30 for dinner every day. There were no laptops so no working from home or working on weekends.
But today we work 12 hour days + weekends and on vacations!

We are working harder to stay in the same place or be worse off actually!!

Old 03-23-2009, 03:16 PM

5,517 posts, read 9,416,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I agree w/ this. My parents bought a house in Westchester NY in the 80s on one income. It was purchased for 80K. Now that same house is worth 500K. How is one supposed to even afford that house even with one earning 6 figures AND a second income? Mind you this house is not near the city (an hour from manhattan) and the closest train station is 12 minutes away.

Also at the time my dad worked 9-5 and was home at 5:30 for dinner every day. There were no laptops so no working from home or working on weekends.

Listen to a couple people on this board.......if you just work harder, get six more degrees, go 100k in to debt, get four more jobs, live with seven roommates, live on ramen noodles, walk six miles to work, set the thermostat to 45 in the winter, forget about getting sick...........you too can make it!

How many of our parents had to do this? Our children are going to need a bachelors degree to work at Burger King..........How is this the American dream?

Old 03-23-2009, 03:17 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,059,817 times
Quote:

Sheenie2000!
How dare you work in New York area! You should move and work in Arkansas or something. Otherwise, don't complain, because it's your own fault for how things are. Just work harder you lazy bum and be less materialistic

Old 03-23-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
Sheenie2000!
How dare you work in New York area! You should move and work in Arkansas or something. Otherwise, don't complain, because it's your own fault for how things are. Just work harder you lazy bum and be less materialistic
When did it become wrong in this country to question its direction? Thats what I dont get.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:28 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,423,262 times
Quote:

Sheenie,
I agree with you. My wife and I couldn't believe how expensive the housing was in MD during the boom and even right now. We had no choice but to leave that area and move to a lower cost area that is just as nice. We moved to Dallas, TX. Plenty of jobs and low cost of living here. We have the best of both worlds now.

I have no idea how the people afford 800k homes. I would have to assume most of them are in debt up to their eyeballs though. Regardless, I don't even care. Americans over consumed and thats what caused the housing bubble. Supply and demand is what caused houses to go up so fast and to unreal heights. I sure am glad we saved our money and rented during that time!

Old 03-23-2009, 03:31 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,423,262 times
Quote:
When did it become wrong in this country to question its direction? Thats what I dont get.
It's not wrong at all. Its just that there is only so much you can do. You have to be a realist. Nothing is going to change right away so you might as well get with the program.

Save your money and move out of that area. There are plenty of places you can go. Why don't you come here to Dallas? Look up home prices here...

Old 03-23-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
Sheenie, I have no idea how the people afford 800k homes. I would have to assume most of them are in debt up to their eyeballs though. Regardless, I don't even care. Americans over consumed and thats what caused the housing bubble. Supply and demand is what caused houses to go up so fast and to unreal heights. I sure am glad we saved our money and rented during that time!
Problem is, so many people bought houses and tried to rent them out to pay the mortgage, that rental rates got jacked right up along with the house rates.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:44 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,215,494 times
Quote:
Listen to a couple people on this board.......if you just work harder, get six more degrees, go 100k in to debt, get four more jobs, live with seven roommates, live on ramen noodles, walk six miles to work, set the thermostat to 45 in the winter, forget about getting sick...........you too can make it!

How many of our parents had to do this? Our children are going to need a bachelors degree to work at Burger King..........How is this the American dream?
I agree to the extent that starting out right now is difficult in certain parts of the county. Okay, maybe impossible. That's what was behind our decision to move from the east coast to Oklahoma. But now we're in a position that our two teenagers will be able to get jobs that support themselves without "six degrees", will be able to purchase a house at a reasonable cost, and not be taxed to death.

But our parents didn't have computers, plasma TV's, TV's in every room, two late model cars, a dishwasher, granite countertops and stainless steel appliances (to listen to HGTV, that's the ONLY kitchens that sell), vacations to Disney World, IPods, Blackberry, bottled water, kids in expensive travel sports, botox injections, etc.

If we are willing to live like our parents did, major personal debt wouldn't be a problem. But, housing has gotten crazy, again, in certain parts of the country. That's why I'm against the government propping up the housing market. Prices need to come down to a reasonable level.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
It's not wrong at all. Its just that there is only so much you can do. You have to be a realist. Nothing is going to change right away so you might as well get with the program.
Ive been with the program, that doesnt mean I can protest it the whole way. Its not like Im collecting a welfare check and protesting. I am, and have always been doing what I should be. I also know nothing is going to change, I know its going to take much more to motivate the lower classes. However, Im not going to come on here and blame people for not getting ahead financially, when its not their fault in many cases. Im not going to spread the false hope of the American dream, and chastise people who scoff at it. Every available stat is showing that we are coming closer to a two class economy, and I dont think simply putting on your rain coat and hoping the storm blows away the guy to the left and the girl to the right and not you.

Quote:
Save your money and move out of that area. There are plenty of places you can go. Why don't you come here to Dallas? Look up home prices here...

Again, I am saving my money, and I will move eventually, and I did consider Texas, but my girlfriend is afraid of going there. However, thats still not the answer to this. That might be the answer to ME, for now, but its no solution to the problem. The answer for an expanding national GINI index is not to simply adjust the population around the country. There is something fundamentally wrong here, and if we all just sit around and dig our feet in further, and eat some more spoonfuls of crap, and fight harder for the scraps, its just going to be harder for our kids then us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics