U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,671,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvAlberts View Post
I say good riddance to the "middle class". You are either a KING/Upper class or a pauper (middle/lower) class. I choose to be a KING, simple as that. If people don't have the ambition or intelligence to raise above mediocrity (hence "middle") class, then they should be ground under the heel of those of us that are their betters.

Marv OUT
My prayer as a humble middle class:

...give me neither poverty nor riches!
Give me just enough to satisfy my needs.
For if I grow rich, I may deny you and say, “Who is the Lord?”
And if I am too poor, I may steal and thus insult God’s holy name.
Proverbs 30:8-9
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 11:12 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,205,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I have to agree with this. There are some places in this country where you likely are not going to go very far with $25 and nothing else. Try living in Manhattan on a McJob.

Also, how would one get to the city they "picked", with no money to start? Even if you take a greyhound one way, thats cash.

Then, you obviously cant pick "anywhere" if you dont have a car, you have to pick a place that has a good public transportation system, or is small enough to navigate around on foot or bicycle unless, you are depending on finding a car pool.

Yeah, if you pick a very, very small town, likely in the deep south (for the lower cost of living), where you can walk/bike, to your place of employment, and you can afford a place to live on the lowest prevailing wage of the area (just in case you end up stuck in that job), then you can make it.
You're nitpicking the story. The man STILL survived on $25 until he was able to establish himself. Even if you put him in a more expensive place, the outcome would most likely be the same. He was proving that you CAN make it in the USA. Of course for those who sit in front of their video games and claim it can't be done........well, I guess it can't.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:04 PM

284 posts, read 1,018,539 times
Make that "middle class gone away

Old 03-17-2009, 12:07 PM

5,517 posts, read 9,394,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
You're nitpicking the story. The man STILL survived on $25 until he was able to establish himself. Even if you put him in a more expensive place, the outcome would most likely be the same. He was proving that you CAN make it in the USA. Of course for those who sit in front of their video games and claim it can't be done........well, I guess it can't.

Again, you go ahead and try to live in Manhattan on a McJob. A 30k dollar single family home in the deep south is not 2k of average rent for a month for a studio in Manhattan. There is a HUGE difference.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Again, you go ahead and try to live in Manhattan on a McJob. A 30k dollar single family home in the deep south is not 2k of average rent for a month for a studio in Manhattan. There is a HUGE difference.
Did you read his book? The introduction states that he didn't take just any job starting out -- he held out for a job as a mover, which paid better. Not every job in NYC is a McJob, and not all housing is $2,000 a month. He lived in a homeless shelter for a while also. The whole idea of his experience was to show that you don't have to do everything by "the book" to survive and grow.

About 15 years ago, DH and I lived in the Denver, CO area. With the two of us, two young children and a cat, we managed to save $11,000 in one year on a $32,000 a year income.

Read his book, it's very interesting.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Did you read his book? The introduction states that he didn't take just any job starting out -- he held out for a job as a mover, which paid better. Not every job in NYC is a McJob, and not all housing is $2,000 a month. He lived in a homeless shelter for a while also. The whole idea of his experience was to show that you don't have to do everything by "the book" to survive and grow.

About 15 years ago, DH and I lived in the Denver, CO area. With the two of us, two young children and a cat, we managed to save $11,000 in one year on a $32,000 a year income.

Read his book, it's very interesting.
What kind of job can an average Joe get without any experience or education....if you guessed, a McJob, you got it.

By the way, you now bring up homeless shelters......you obviously are aware that these are not available outside of decent sized cities right?

Old 03-17-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:

So, you made it in Denver, before it became overpriced, on a solidly middle class income.....what a feat. I made less then that until 2006 in an area just as overpriced.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:06 PM

13,660 posts, read 23,821,262 times
Quote:
So, you made it in Denver, before it became overpriced, on a solidly middle class income.....what a feat. I made less then that until 2006 in an area just as overpriced.
I agree $32,000 in todays dollars is almost $50k. Certainly solidly middle class, especially in the mid-west in places such as Denver.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
No, I didn't say we "made it". I said we SAVED $11,000 on a $32,000 a year income. After taxes, that means four of us lived on about $19,000 a year.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
What kind of job can an average Joe get without any experience or education....if you guessed, a McJob, you got it.

By the way, you now bring up homeless shelters......you obviously are aware that these are not available outside of decent sized cities right?
My son worked all last summer for Hobby Lobby, as a grounds keeper in Oklahoma City for $11.50 a hour. His only education is a GED. Here in OKC that provided him with a nice apartment, money for his car payment and insurance, as well as his other expenses. He saved enough to put himself into trade school this year.

Sorry, the American Dream is not dead. But of course for those who insist it is, it probably is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics