Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:13 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk
Just wanted to clear one thing up. Barbecuing does cause cancer but sunlight does not. Sunscreen is what causes skin cancer.

Uh huh. Bet the Mayo Clinic would love to hear from you.

I would not post it if it wasn't true. The chemicals in the sunscreen is what causes skin cancer. The general rule is "if you can't eat it, do not put it on your skin."

Read these links...

Sunscreen use actually causes cancer, it doesn't prevent it, says exhaustive scientific research by Mike Adams the Health Ranger

Sunscreens and Cancer

Sunscreen May Cause Cancer

Sunscreen Causes Cancer - Associated Content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 06:46 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Again, it works SO well with marijuana, meth, and prescripts. Unless you put cameras in EVERY domicile, car, etc. in the country (which I could see you supporting from the tone of your posts), it's not going to do ****. We've been spending hundreds of billions of dollars on the "War on Drugs" and it hasn't cut drug use one bit. In fact, we've seen rises in hard stuff and marijuana. The difference is you raise rates of organized crime on the rest of us. So, then what? Let's control gun usage because those same drug lords who sell crack and tobacco will give up their guns willingly. That's why the DEA chief decided to give up on marijuana regulation and leave it to the states.

If you want people to quit so bad, how about you talk to your smoking friends (I doubt a pompous person such as yourself has any) and tell them "hey, I don't want you to die of cigarette smoking." Then help them quit. Stop the incessant bitching and whining and connect to people instead of proclaiming your superciliousness and alienating folks. That works much better.
"Help them quit"? What are they, invalids?

I help nobody that doesn't help themselves. I laugh when I encounter people who are taking steps to stop drinking yet continue smoking and/or taking drugs, or vice versa. Either live a clean lifestyle or don't bother at all, but pointedly: help yourself. It's not my job to impart common sense upon you. In any case, the last time I tried to "help" someone (and the reason I don't do it anymore) was a female who was smoking around her kid. I told her to stop, for the kid's sake, and she acted like the kid would be perfectly healthy no matter what. I stopped talking to her - the kid died some years after from the concentration of secondhand smoke.

Bottom line - and I don't care how presumptuous this sounds - smoking is not a healthy habit, and should not be allowed around other people. Worst case, people should be convicted of depraved indifference homicide, for killing people with cigarette smoke.

Yes, I'm that vehement about this issue, and I don't care what any of you think. I'm against smoking, period, always will be, until I see the government intervene for the welfare of our society. Of course they won't, since it allows a free measure of population control.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:48 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I told her to stop, for the kid's sake, and she acted like the kid would be perfectly healthy no matter what. I stopped talking to her - the kid died some years after from the concentration of secondhand smoke.
What was the cause of death listed on the autopsy? I ask because i've never seen an autopsy report that listed "concentration of secondhand smoke" as a cause of death.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:14 PM

Her mother gave me the news. Unlike some insensitive sorts, I didn't ask about an autopsy report for her grandchild. Bottom line: the smoke killed the kid. Whether that was lung cancer or choking, bottom line is the smoke did him in. Mind you, this is a 3 year old, so it's not that surprising.

SCR, maybe you like smoking, since you defend it so diligently. Fine! Smoke away...but everyone is entitled to their opinion, and mine won't change, no matter how much sarcasm you use.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:32 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Her mother gave me the news. Unlike some insensitive sorts, I didn't ask about an autopsy report for her grandchild.
I wouldn't expect that anyone would ask that specific question. However, i would expect that you would've asked what happened to the child. Did you ask any questions of the grandmother when she told you that this child had passed away?

Old 03-20-2009, 09:50 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Quote:
.but everyone is entitled to their opinion, and mine won't change, no matter how much sarcasm you use.
Good grief, you really seem to be terribly confused here.

You go on rants that are a) illogical, b) factually incorrect, c) state your opinion as fact when it is far from it, and the d) make such eye-watering statements such as "smoking is an unhealthy habit". After all that, you turn around and get miffed at sarcasm?

I haven't laughed this hard all day. Thanks.

Now I am having to wonder what parallel universe you seem to be living in.... or maybe just your reading comprehension needs work because all of a sudden you're demanding a right to your own opinion and I, for one, don't recall anyone on this thread denying you your right to an opinion. Opine away - just do us all a favor and keep it sane.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:54 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
My dh and I are on day 5.

So now the militard non-smoking nazis can help carry our "share" of these new taxes... but hey! It's the Patriotic thing to do!

Old 03-20-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Good grief, you really seem to be terribly confused here.

You go on rants that are a) illogical,
Saying that smoke kills, is illogical? Have you been paying attention to what health professionals have been saying for decades?

Quote:
b) factually incorrect,
Smoke doesn't kill? Again, have you been paying attention at all?

Quote:
c) state your opinion as fact when it is far from it,
What I state as fact...is that smoke kills. Which it does. I'm sensing a repeating theme here.

Quote:
and the d) make such eye-watering statements such as "smoking is an unhealthy habit".
So it's not an unhealthy habit?

In the Mix - Smoking: The Truth Unfiltered
Smoke Alarm: The Truth About Smoking And Mental Illness
Statistics About Smoking Cigarettes - Associated Content
The Truth About Smoking - Associated Content

First page, search results.

Quote:
After all that, you turn around and get miffed at sarcasm?
I like people who just come straight out and say the flat truth. If someone likes smoking and disagrees with my opinion, say "I like smoking, I ain't stoppin". Period. Leave it at that. But to throw sarcasm and criticize a person for their opinion shows insecurity in the topic at hand.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:19 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
Raising taxes on cigarettes disproves the current admin's theory that you can RAISE money by raising taxes. Higher taxes on cigs means more folks (like us!) quit.

Higher taxes on the rich means more of them will find a way to not pay it.

Will the Gvment do WITHOUT the revenue they EXPECT to raise? No, they will simply raise everyone else's taxes.

I just read an article today that said that Ronald Reagan used the cigarette industry as an example when trying to explain to some folks why raising taxes is a STUPID way to try to raise revenue. But today, this concept qualifies as "news".

Here's a newsflash for you:

This just in... The United States of America has 50 states.

Discuss for 4+ pages...

Old 03-20-2009, 11:28 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Quote:
S

Smoke doesn't kill? Again, have you been paying attention at all?

You really don't listen, do you?
Now I know what it is. Reading comprehension was not your forte. Nor, obviously, was extrapolation, so let me make this easy for you.

It starts about taxes - about which it should have remained, but you entered the scene.
Now it descends into a rant about the evils of smoking and NOT about taxes.
You still with me? Good. Just checking.
You then go on to make the most asinine comment I have heard yet when it comes to smoking. I've highlighted and replied, back on page two I think. Run along and remind yourself.

No one here has said smoking doesn't kill.
No one here has said that smoking is a healthy habit. My remark was sarcastic.... oh, but you don't do sarcasm, I forgot. The implication was "do you really think that's news?!"

What the flip are you on by the way? Do you think you've just gotten access to medical information the rest of us aren't privy to? Or wait.... no, I know. Smoking depletes your brain of oxygen, ergo, anyone who smokes now or has ever done so is mentally addled.

No one here, not once, has said it been said it is beneficial to one's health.
No one here, in fact, has done much except for derive an awful lot of amusement from your opinions - stated as fact - that:
drinking doesn't affect anyone but the drinker (and for which you got moral backing too, for which I'm sure you were very grateful)
standing by curtains at which some point in their existence have been smoked at is a good way to ensure you'll drop dead
smokers who can't smoke are all going to go roast in the fires of hell but only after they've lost all their money gambling, squandered their looks on drink & drugs, and *YIKES* hung out in bars. THE HORROR! (Oh, I forgot fisticuffs. I like fisticuffs, it's such a good word.)

As I say, amusement value. It was to have been a discussion or debate about taxes but you couldn't stop yourself from getting up on that soapbox.
Perhaps it's time to get off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics