Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:02 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,266 times

Advertisements

The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.

- Mein Kampf

Tobacco taxes are soaring to finance a major expansion of health insurance for children.
- The article

You know booze is next. Any luxury or addictive substance will be fair game. It's a warm up.....just like banks saying 1 Million, 2 billion, 467 Billion. It's just a warm up. It gets you in the mood. It's just "Smokers." Then it's just "Drinkers." Then it's just "people with cars." Then "People who have big houses" then "People with small houses" then "People who want to buy a house" then....and on and on.

Well at least it's still legal. And there's not a black market for these things, right?

http://www.lohud.com/article/20090329/NEWS05/903290398
Heist nets more than $90,000 in cigarettes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 04:07 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,797 times
Don't you all feel as if the government is nothing more that a leach sucking the very blood from our bodies? I don't favor smoking but I think the government has no right to say to its citizens you're going to be punished for smoking and it’s going to be by paying high taxes on cigarettes. What's next for the government? Legalize prostitution and tax that also? Bad times ahead.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:11 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,266 times
State senator lobbies to tax prostitution

Old 03-30-2009, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,363 times
Angry get a life and leave me to mine!!

what the H--- IS wrong with you people? My smoking in my own HOME,
in my own car with windows down, or even {prepare yourself for this} outside, IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!! I understand if you all do not want me smoking next to your cubicle, or blowing smoke in your face over dinner. I simply do not frequent places where I cannot have a before and after dinner smoke. I do not come into others homes and light one up either. BUT IF I WANT TO SMOKE IN MY HOME, MY CAR OR OUTSIDE IT'S SIMPLY NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. I don't care if your fat or skinny, if you eat at mcdonalds 6 times a day! I don't care if your sitting there at your computer in the privacy or your own home getting high or getting drunk. MY smoking outside a building isn't going to give you cancer, for that matter either will my smoking in my car or the smell of smoke on me or my clothes!!!!!! AND IF YOU SERIOUSLY BELIEVE THAT YOU ARE A NUT JOB WHO NEEDS TO SPEND SOME TIME ON A LEATHER COUCH OF A VERY GOOD DOCTOR WHO SPECIALIZES IN PARANOID SCHIZOPHRENIA! PERHAPS ONE OF THE 600+ PRESCRIPTIONS THE PHARMACUTICAL COMPANIES PUSH OFF ON DOCTORS WHO THEN PASS THEM OUT FOR A BONUS TO FOOLISH PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE THEIR BULL WILL HELP EASE YOUR VERY PARANOID CONCERNS. Do you even realize that to this day IT HAS NEVER BEEN SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN THAT SMOKING CAUSES CANCER!!!! IT VERY PROBABLY DOES, LIKE A THOUSAND OTHER THINGS WE USE OR ARE VERY NATURALLY EXPOSED TO EVERY DAY IN THIS VERY MODERN WORLD!
AS FAR AS THE NEW RIDICULOUS TAX ON CIGERETTES, LET'S BE HONEST HERE IT'S REALLY A TAX AGAINST SMOKERS, FIRST BECAUSE OUR WONDERFUL ADMINISTRATION HAS RUN UP DEFICIT THAT THEY CAN'T POSSIBLY FIND A SOLUTION FOR, SO THIER VERY BRIGHT NEW IDEA IS TO LITERALLY ROB THE AMERICAN PEOPLE EVEN MORE BY PLACING NEW TAXES ON THEM, AND SINCE THIER [THE GOVERNMENT] IS ALL ABOUT THIER FUTURE AND RE-ELECTIONS, OF COARSE THE FIRST PLACE THEY LOOK IS TO THE VERY UPOPULAR GROUP IN THIS HEATH NUT NATION OF SMOKERS.
THEY GET TO BRING IN A NICE CHUNK OF CHANGE, SOOTHE THE RUFFLED FEATHERS OF BOTH THE HEALTH NUTS AND THE VERY BORED WHO HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO DO BUT COMPLAIN ABOUT OTHERS. NOW THE 'HIGHWAY ROBERRY' TAX HAS BEEN PLACED ON US SMOKERS DO YOU THINK I WILL QUIT, THAT I WILL BECOME A DRUNK OR GAMBLER OR GO OUT AND COMMIT SOME CRIME? DO YOU HONESTLY THINK THIS TAX WILL FIX THE ECONOMY, THE RISING COST OF HEALTHCARE OR YOUR OWN PARANOIA??!!
IT WON'T! YOU WILL GO ON TO COMPLAIN ABOUT SOME OTHER IMAGINED INSULT OR INDIGNATION, THE GOVERNMENT WILL CONTINUE TO BE BROKE AND RUN UP BILLS, AND THE COST OF HEALTHCARE WILL CONTINUE TO RISE AND DO YOU WANT TO EVEN KNOW WHY? SIMPLY PUT WE LIVE IN A NATION OF FREEDOMS, THE INSURANCE COMPANIES HAVE THE FREEDOM TO CHARGE WHAT THEY WANT, THE GOVERNMENT HAS THE FREEDOM TO SPEND WHAT THEY WANT AND TAX WHO THEY WANT, AND YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO YOUR PARANOIA, JUST AS I HAVE THE RIGHT TO SMOKE! GET A LIFE

Old 03-30-2009, 06:40 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,632,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly63 View Post
what the H--- IS wrong with you people? My smoking in my own HOME,
in my own car with windows down, or even {prepare yourself for this} outside, IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!! I understand if you all do not want me smoking next to your cubicle, or blowing smoke in your face over dinner. I simply do not frequent places where I cannot have a before and after dinner smoke. I do not come into others homes and light one up either. BUT IF I WANT TO SMOKE IN MY HOME, MY CAR OR OUTSIDE IT'S SIMPLY NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. I don't care if your fat or skinny, if you eat at mcdonalds 6 times a day! I don't care if your sitting there at your computer in the privacy or your own home getting high or getting drunk. MY smoking outside a building isn't going to give you cancer, for that matter either will my smoking in my car or the smell of smoke on me or my clothes!!!!!! AND IF YOU SERIOUSLY BELIEVE THAT YOU ARE A NUT JOB WHO NEEDS TO SPEND SOME TIME ON A LEATHER COUCH OF A VERY GOOD DOCTOR WHO SPECIALIZES IN PARANOID SCHIZOPHRENIA! PERHAPS ONE OF THE 600+ PRESCRIPTIONS THE PHARMACUTICAL COMPANIES PUSH OFF ON DOCTORS WHO THEN PASS THEM OUT FOR A BONUS TO FOOLISH PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE THEIR BULL WILL HELP EASE YOUR VERY PARANOID CONCERNS. Do you even realize that to this day IT HAS NEVER BEEN SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN THAT SMOKING CAUSES CANCER!!!! IT VERY PROBABLY DOES, LIKE A THOUSAND OTHER THINGS WE USE OR ARE VERY NATURALLY EXPOSED TO EVERY DAY IN THIS VERY MODERN WORLD!
AS FAR AS THE NEW RIDICULOUS TAX ON CIGERETTES, LET'S BE HONEST HERE IT'S REALLY A TAX AGAINST SMOKERS, FIRST BECAUSE OUR WONDERFUL ADMINISTRATION HAS RUN UP DEFICIT THAT THEY CAN'T POSSIBLY FIND A SOLUTION FOR, SO THIER VERY BRIGHT NEW IDEA IS TO LITERALLY ROB THE AMERICAN PEOPLE EVEN MORE BY PLACING NEW TAXES ON THEM, AND SINCE THIER [THE GOVERNMENT] IS ALL ABOUT THIER FUTURE AND RE-ELECTIONS, OF COARSE THE FIRST PLACE THEY LOOK IS TO THE VERY UPOPULAR GROUP IN THIS HEATH NUT NATION OF SMOKERS.
THEY GET TO BRING IN A NICE CHUNK OF CHANGE, SOOTHE THE RUFFLED FEATHERS OF BOTH THE HEALTH NUTS AND THE VERY BORED WHO HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO DO BUT COMPLAIN ABOUT OTHERS. NOW THE 'HIGHWAY ROBERRY' TAX HAS BEEN PLACED ON US SMOKERS DO YOU THINK I WILL QUIT, THAT I WILL BECOME A DRUNK OR GAMBLER OR GO OUT AND COMMIT SOME CRIME? DO YOU HONESTLY THINK THIS TAX WILL FIX THE ECONOMY, THE RISING COST OF HEALTHCARE OR YOUR OWN PARANOIA??!!
IT WON'T! YOU WILL GO ON TO COMPLAIN ABOUT SOME OTHER IMAGINED INSULT OR INDIGNATION, THE GOVERNMENT WILL CONTINUE TO BE BROKE AND RUN UP BILLS, AND THE COST OF HEALTHCARE WILL CONTINUE TO RISE AND DO YOU WANT TO EVEN KNOW WHY? SIMPLY PUT WE LIVE IN A NATION OF FREEDOMS, THE INSURANCE COMPANIES HAVE THE FREEDOM TO CHARGE WHAT THEY WANT, THE GOVERNMENT HAS THE FREEDOM TO SPEND WHAT THEY WANT AND TAX WHO THEY WANT, AND YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO YOUR PARANOIA, JUST AS I HAVE THE RIGHT TO SMOKE! GET A LIFE
1. Paragraphs are your friends. Use them so you will look at least somewhat educated when "trying" to get your point across.

2. I hope the government continues to tax smokers into oblivion...maybe just maybe it will cause them to take up a new "productive" hobby.

3. I feel sorry for you and may god have mercy on your soul.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:19 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.

- Mein Kampf

Tobacco taxes are soaring to finance a major expansion of health insurance for children.
- The article

You know booze is next. Any luxury or addictive substance will be fair game. It's a warm up.....just like banks saying 1 Million, 2 billion, 467 Billion. It's just a warm up. It gets you in the mood. It's just "Smokers." Then it's just "Drinkers." Then it's just "people with cars." Then "People who have big houses" then "People with small houses" then "People who want to buy a house" then....and on and on.

Well at least it's still legal. And there's not a black market for these things, right?

Heist nets more than $90,000 in cigarettes | lohud.com | The Journal News
Heist nets more than $90,000 in cigarettes

while the govt is handing out trillions of our dollars, let me just offer you a few trillion reps.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:26 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
1. Paragraphs are your friends. Use them so you will look at least somewhat educated when "trying" to get your point across.

2. I hope the government continues to tax smokers into oblivion...maybe just maybe it will cause them to take up a new "productive" hobby.

3. I feel sorry for you and may god have mercy on your soul.

while they're busy getting a life, perhaps they could ban ufc? perhaps these people could find a more "productive" hobby!

careful what you wish for. encouraging today's big govt against something you dislike is encouraging tomorrow's big govt against something that you do like!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-31-2009, 12:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
We could also raise taxes on Liquor as sated and fasttening food;junk food like candy and other thing to help save alot of lifes. In fact we could prescribe a daily diet and tax anyone who strays form teh diet.Befoe you know it their would be nothign but non-fattening foods avialble and skinny people.The we can satrt on the other sins.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:51 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,388,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I'd rather see a 300% tax on cigarettes and Black & Milds. $13 for a single pack of smokes will quickly get people to quit by pricing them out. If the stats don't go down, add another 100% to the tax, and keep increasing it until people stop smoking. Either the budget will get a lot of money at people's expense, or a lot of people will stop smoking. Win Win.
I see the Nazi anti smoking nannying people are all out,just wait till one of your likes is under attack,lets see how you enjoy that.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:55 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,388,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Bottom line - studies have shown there ARE toxins in cigarette smoke. Studies have also shown that the toxins get into fabrics very easily. There's one fact. ONE FACT. Cigarette...smoke...kills. Period. I don't want to be near it. I don't want to smell it, I don't want to see it, I don't want to be around it, and I don't like parents who smoke, because they expose their children to it even when they're not actively doing it. It's disgusting and deplorable. If you want something to deal with an oral fixation, chew gum. If you want something to blow smoke, get those smoke blowing gum cigarettes. If you want something to inhale, get a humidifier.

To those that say "pricing out doesn't work!!!" - let me set the price. People will NOT pay $100/pack. A nice $1,000 fine for "roll your owns" each will deter people. Pricing out WILL work...given a choice between losing everything you own and putting down the tobacco, guaranteed the majority will do what they should.
I would purchase on the black market what do you say to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics