Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:30 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times

Advertisements

Ford-UAW deal cuts wages to $55 an hour (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090311/ts_nm/us_ford - broken link)

DETROIT (Reuters) – Ford Motor Co expects operating savings of $500 million per year from an agreement with the United Auto Workers that will push hourly wage rates into the "ballpark" of foreign-based rivals, the company said on Wednesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 11:44 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
I really don't see how being 15% higher than your competition is 'in the ballpark'. Maybe they have a larger margin than most industries but it seems to me that they have just ratified a way to die slightly slower than before. I am not impressed.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:47 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I am surpised that the automotive workers earn more than $55/hour... I remember autoworkers coming on here and disputing that they made more than that...

Old 03-12-2009, 12:06 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I am surpised that the automotive workers earn more than $55/hour... I remember autoworkers coming on here and disputing that they made more than that...
Are we sure the $55/hr figure doesn't include benefits?

Old 03-12-2009, 12:56 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
As stated in the article, this wage figure does include benefits.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:05 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
They don't. They start at around $14/hr ($28k/yr) and experienced ones earn around $28/hr ($56k/yr).

Just a typical media and management tactic for which most people fall for.

I wonder if any of the front line employees at banks and investment firms are taking pay cuts? Funny how no one has brought that up. Yet THE SECOND blue collar working class citizens companies get in trouble the first thing to blame is that they make too much money. As a fellow union member I am sick of this ****.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:26 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
They don't. They start at around $14/hr ($28k/yr) and experienced ones earn around $28/hr ($56k/yr).

I wonder if any of the front line employees at banks and investment firms are taking pay cuts? Funny how no one has brought that up. Yet THE SECOND blue collar working class citizens companies get in trouble the first thing to blame is that they make too much money. As a fellow union member I am sick of this ****.
$27 an hour for benefits is outrageous, adding that to the $28 an hour an employee makes, and it is little wonder these companies are having such a hard time making it. The problem I see with many of the workers in unions is that they do not look at the real costs of this stuff to companies, and with many in the union never working any real jobs outside of the union, they do not understand that most companies do not pay that kind of money, especially when offering those kinds of benefits. The fact of the matter is that most companies who are considered to be good companies with very good benefits spend about $10-12 per employee per hour for their benefits. Most others spend much less then that.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:52 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
$27 an hour for benefits is outrageous, adding that to the $28 an hour an employee makes,
I think the reason it's that high is because the company has cut back so many jobs and sent them to Mexico and Brazil, which increases the retiree health costs on per employee basis.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:55 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

Tell that to all of us who get NO benefits from our employers whatsoever. I have no sympathy for those poor, poor abused auto workers whose wages and benefits ONLY equal $55/hr.

Geeze, must be SO HARD to live like that. I mean, just imagine being able to go to the doctor or dentist when you need to, and not have to pay the visit out of your pocket. How terrible for those poor auto workers!

Old 03-13-2009, 08:52 AM

339 posts, read 975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
$27 an hour for benefits is outrageous, adding that to the $28 an hour an employee makes, and it is little wonder these companies are having such a hard time making it. The problem I see with many of the workers in unions is that they do not look at the real costs of this stuff to companies, and with many in the union never working any real jobs outside of the union, they do not understand that most companies do not pay that kind of money, especially when offering those kinds of benefits. The fact of the matter is that most companies who are considered to be good companies with very good benefits spend about $10-12 per employee per hour for their benefits. Most others spend much less then that.

That $27 in benefits includes the current employee benefits AND the "legacy costs". Those "legacy costs" are what is killing the D3. They include in that number the cost of health care insurance for all the hundreds of thousands of GM retirees and spouses. Considering GM is a 100 year old company that at one time was the largest in the world there is an unsustainable amount of retirees that the company cannot support anymore on the amount of sales its generating. The company has shrink so much they cannot support these costs any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics