U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:55 AM

41,478 posts, read 54,155,216 times

Advertisements

I have paid off all my debt except the mortgage and I am paying that down a quickly as possible. It is time we became a cash economy behind tariff barriers to preserve ourselves. We need to become a producer nation and not a consumer nation. We also need to stop wasting our money on a disastrous empire. If Americans want to invest overseas let them do it at their own risk.

IMHO it is better to have a slow growth economy than a failed speculative economy.

Last edited by GregW; 05-12-2010 at 11:04 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 11:08 AM

20,194 posts, read 21,507,727 times
What are we going to produce GregW? Do you want to produce coal? Oil? Minerals? Paper? Plastic? Clothes? Wood ornaments? All of that is destructive to the environment... The tariff barriers would reduce this country to a cesspool of pollution and ecological destruction... The government employees don't "produce" anything other than consuming taxpayer money... the military doesn't "produce" anything in non-war times, should we dock their pay during peace times to one-half? The finance industry is basically a gambling hall and move money around depending on how "bets" are made so they really don't produce much directly (but they do indirectly by supplying capital to other companies that produce something)... A lot of what is produced in the US is consumed outside the US because we don't produce much that is consumable for the US population (other than food)... These companies that sell overseas are also some of the biggest employers of Americans, not to mention companies that don't really produce anything tangible employ large amounts of Americans... If we move away from a consuming nation to a producing nation, half of the country would be unemployed and the other half are illegal immigrants not paying their taxes... There is nothing that can be "produced" in this country when we pay $80k a year to someone who delivers mail or to someone who teaches and works 3/4 of the year in PA.... when we started overpaying employees, we moved away from a producer nation... only way is to dock everyone's pay and I doubt anyone is willing to halve their pay... and no Obama is NOT destroying the country's economy, he is in fact, making it better and transparent...

Old 05-12-2010, 10:31 PM

5,801 posts, read 5,814,149 times
We're not about to return to becoming a 'producing nation' again due to too many self-inflicted job-killing practices by the government, trial lawyers, environmentalists and numerous unions.

Obama is indeed in the process of destroying the economy with taxes and pages of regulations (the new CAFE standards are going to be a disaster for the Detroit 3), and let's not forget that abominable health-care bill which is bound to send costs exploding from coast-to-coast, something that almost no Democrat has the guts to admit.

With more takeover targets on his hit list (broadband providers, real estate investors, etc.), on top of his imbecilic meddling in the housing market and a nonstop string of tax increases on everybody, he's definitely on a job-killing rampage that shows no signs of coming to an end.

He obviously has nothing but contempt for the Constitution either, and has no regard for it whatsoever, or the Supreme Court for that matter.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:33 PM

11,456 posts, read 13,298,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post

He obviously has nothing but contempt for the Constitution either...
Really, how so?

Also, where are all these taxes you are talking about?

Old 05-14-2010, 05:58 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,461,411 times
Obama has an easy job compared to the next poor ******* who will sit in the oval office.

Meanwhile, Obama is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. I do agree that he has made some terrible choices with seeminly no regard for the consequences. This is not the time to cause so much uncertainty for our businesses in terms of taxes, healthcare mandates, and cap/trade. He seems to want to do everything now, and a lot of his goals will just make things worse. Things that might have been nice to have in the good ole days should be put on a shelf for now.

Last edited by MovedfromFL; 05-14-2010 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: That was NOT a bad word I typed! Oh well

Old 05-14-2010, 08:59 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,631,796 times
I read in an article today (and I forgot which one so no link) that the world economies have changed more in the past 18 months and quicker than anytime in history dating back to WWII.

Yes, I think we entered a global depression. Wall Street is booming but it's not because the companies are doing well; it's because the bankers are doing speculative trading driving prices up.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:36 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,937,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I read in an article today (and I forgot which one so no link) that the world economies have changed more in the past 18 months and quicker than anytime in history dating back to WWII.

Yes, I think we entered a global depression. Wall Street is booming but it's not because the companies are doing well; it's because the bankers are doing speculative trading driving prices up.
Honestly Happy T. I been watching the market for some time now an in the last...........really...........two years or so...the market looks like a glorified cheer leader club. When the slightest thing goes right the market soars and when the market see something slightly bad the market seems to overly slide down. Of course alot of the news outlets including even my favorite bloomberg adds to these unstable swings. The market while never proclaiming to be based on the reality of out everyday world has of late, has...in my opinion completely left reality.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:06 PM

9,840 posts, read 20,486,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Honestly Happy T. I been watching the market for some time now an in the last...........really...........two years or so...the market looks like a glorified cheer leader club. When the slightest thing goes right the market soars and when the market see something slightly bad the market seems to overly slide down. Of course alot of the news outlets including even my favorite bloomberg adds to these unstable swings. The market while never proclaiming to be based on the reality of out everyday world has of late, has...in my opinion completely left reality.
When I started paper trading and learning about the market in my college years, a pattern emerged.

Fundamentals...

Yeah right.

Ok so obviously some of those fundamentals are key to success, but so often in the market I began to see it was whatever mouse turd they were pole vaulting over that day. People are lemmings and the market is no different.

Check out the consumer market, it's no different. Some new fad product will come out, everyone has to have it, rational reason be damned. 2 years later it's long forgotten and collecting dust.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:18 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,715,417 times
Don't be so pessimistic...US economy creates jobs now, since January ! And a good economic growth.
Here in France we have loss of jobs again it's not finished, and a very weak growth.
And we think France will create some jobs after the summer, not before
I don't say Obama did a great work (he must help small businesses but he doesn't) but it's better than here :/

Old 05-16-2010, 09:41 AM

188 posts, read 245,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Really, how so?

Also, where are all these taxes you are talking about?
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." -Thomas Jefferson

Amazingly he was also one of the founding fathers and writers of the constitution. Last I looked, Obama was had the exact opposite views of this quote.

I'll just throw some more at you from some founding fathers, and you do the math (it's pretty simple math actually):

"Any people that would give up liberty for a little temporary safety deserves neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." - Patrick Henry

RESTRAIN, being the key word in this one. Again, these are from our founding fathers...I'll keep going:

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquence. It is force. And force, like fire, is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

"A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicity." - Thomas Jefferson in his first Inaugural Address

"I trust that the proposed Constitution afford a genuine specimen of representative government and republican government; and that it will answer, in an eminent degree, all the beneficial purposes of society." - Alexander Hamilton

It's not a republican government when the Federal Gov't implements all the laws that the states have to abide by...The states are supposed to implement laws and the federal gov't should play little to no role in our society (except protection from invasion). Of course, Obama isn't the first president to go against this premise. You can go all the way back to Roosevelt or Hoover to see the first presidents that started doing massive overhaul at the federal level.

"A just security to property is not afforded by that government, under which unequal taxes oppress one species of property and reward another species." - James Madison

I could go on and on and on...but the point is Obama's views are complete opposite of these peoples views (people that WROTE OUR CONSTITUTION). It's time to wake up America, the Tea Party (like them or hate them) is good because it helps keep our gov't in check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics