Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:55 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times

Advertisements

Enough of the puff: tax may cut smoking rates | U.S. | Reuters

Expansion of a popular public health insurance program for lower income children is being financed by an increase in the federal excise tax on a pack of cigarettes of about $1.01 per pack, up from the current 39 cents on a $4.35 pack.

I'm on my last carton. I'm done. Hooray! Count me in as one of the 1 million who will quit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 04:31 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,707 times
I'd rather see a 300% tax on cigarettes and Black & Milds. $13 for a single pack of smokes will quickly get people to quit by pricing them out. If the stats don't go down, add another 100% to the tax, and keep increasing it until people stop smoking. Either the budget will get a lot of money at people's expense, or a lot of people will stop smoking. Win Win.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Well not quite win, win. If enough smokers quit then the Fed will be out some $$$.
Who will they tax next ? Once they start funding a program..how will it continue ?

Old 03-17-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well not quite win, win. If enough smokers quit then the Fed will be out some $$$.
Who will they tax next ? Once they start funding a program..how will it continue ?
Those previous smokers will then turn to other diversions: gambling, drinking, bars, clubs, etc. The point is to stop polluting the atmosphere. The revenue is just an added perk.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:03 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Those previous smokers will then turn to other diversions: gambling,
Gambling addicts love to steal to feed their habit. Do cigarette smokers do that?

Quote:
.......drinking, bars, clubs, etc.
Which would probably lead to more DWI accidents and carnage.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Gambling addicts love to steal to feed their habit. Do cigarette smokers do that?
You're overreaching. I know some of you are perfectly fine puffing your cancer sticks, and in truth I wouldn't even really care about it IF it didn't affect others. If there were laws against smoking in ANY public place, and if there were laws mandating that smoking in the car requires all windows to be rolled completely up, no ash flicking out the window, no arm out the window, nothing...if there were overly Draconian measures such as specialized vents that literally suck every bit of smell and chemical off of you when you're coming back in a workplace after having smoked, then I wouldn't care.

None of what I mentioned will happen. A ban also won't fly. Pricing people out of it is the best answer. You like smoking, go ahead. I have my opinion and it won't change.

Quote:
Which would probably lead to more DWI accidents and carnage.
DWI has a financial application. Accidents/carnage? You're overreaching again.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:57 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,434 times
I feel alot of lower income people are the majority of smokers. The people who can afford it the least. Sure am glad I quit 12 years ago.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:27 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,228 times
Quote:
You're overreaching. I know some of you are perfectly fine puffing your cancer sticks, and in truth I wouldn't even really care about it IF it didn't affect others. If there were laws against smoking in ANY public place, and if there were laws mandating that smoking in the car requires all windows to be rolled completely up, no ash flicking out the window, no arm out the window, nothing...if there were overly Draconian measures such as specialized vents that literally suck every bit of smell and chemical off of you when you're coming back in a workplace after having smoked, then I wouldn't care.

None of what I mentioned will happen. A ban also won't fly. Pricing people out of it is the best answer. You like smoking, go ahead. I have my opinion and it won't change.
With that faulty logic, we should also heavily tax car usage since it's bad for the air. Worse, actually, than cigarettes. However, as you're from SoCal, I don't see you supporting anything like that soon.

Quote:
Those previous smokers will then turn to other diversions: gambling, drinking, bars, clubs, etc. The point is to stop polluting the atmosphere. The revenue is just an added perk.
No, the point was to make politicians look good by making them look like they were doing something about big tobacco. Truth is, they don't give a damn about your air, or they would have had a TOTAL federal ban on smoking in restaurants and such. To think that any federal action was for the "benefit of the people and clean air" is naive. And, those "other" activities are linked to increases in crime, so you don't get a free lunch. I'd rather have a bunch of people smoking in their cars than have them mad and gambling, alcoholic, and engaging in criminal activity. That ends up costing more in the long run.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:38 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,013 times
Quote:
Those previous smokers will then turn to other diversions: gambling, drinking, bars, clubs, etc.
I'm sorry, but it's quite frightening that there are people out there that think like this.

The logic (for wont of a better word) that if someone gives up smoking he or she "will then turn" to drink and gambling has got to be the MOST asinine statement I've heard today - and I even heard the news, so that's saying something.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Next the alcohol tax increase. maybe we can cure all soccities ills. then doubling traffic fines to include the federal budget.Tools highways for evrybody. Before you know it we will be able to afford the interest on the deficit ofr a year.Happy days are here agin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics