Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 08:37 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times

Advertisements

The G 20 riots are usually over the demand that the industrialized countries forgive their loans to emerging and third world countries. Hey, if America is forced to eventually default on its loans they may have something there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 09:28 AM

68 posts, read 111,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's actually worse than that as the subprime mortgages that were packaged up got rated AAA. True junk bonds sell low but have high interest payments to offset the risk. AAA gets a higher price and lower rate for security.

These in effect were junk bonds rated AAA and not discovered until the underlying mortgages started to default. How does one value that ?
Mark-to-market rules state that the assets are valued at their current market price. Since the market almost entirely seized up and virtually no one was willing to buy them at any price, the assets had to be written down to near-zero. In reality, if the bank were to hold them to maturity, they would get an amount back that significantly exceeds what one would expect based on the market value alone. That is the reason why some members of Congress, the SEC, and the FASB supported a revision of the rules.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:31 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,632,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettys View Post
Mark-to-market rules state that the assets are valued at their current market price. Since the market almost entirely seized up and virtually no one was willing to buy them at any price, the assets had to be written down to near-zero. In reality, if the bank were to hold them to maturity, they would get an amount back that significantly exceeds what one would expect based on the market value alone. That is the reason why some members of Congress, the SEC, and the FASB supported a revision of the rules.

I agree they should change the rules too. If the banks assets are shown at zero% but they do in fact have value, then they should be able to show value . The old rules didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:35 AM

513 posts, read 1,581,016 times
You know, it won't kill you to actually read the news before posting stuff. I don't really have much expectation when it comes to this
forum as most posters here seem to thoroughly lack some of the most basic training in science&logic. But seriously,
check your source first. No wonder the people you badmouth are publishing on journals and respected newspapers, and you guys are
posting stuff and acting smart on an anonymous forum.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Well the FHLB Chairman has resigned. These new rules pushed by Congress didn't sit well with him.
An accounting rule changed pushed by the Bankers and Congress in favor of lax rules is NOT good.
This is the total opposite of transparency..this now obfuscates the true value of this bad paper.

FHLB Chairman Quits Due to Discomfort with FASB Shifting Accounting Rules -- Seeking Alpha

snippet:
The FASB’s rules on this subject, which have never been well defined, are now in flux. Today, after caving in to pressure by the banking industry and members of Congress, the Financial Accounting Standards Board is set to vote on a plan to relax its rules on mark-to-market accounting, so that companies can disregard market prices and ignore losses on their securities indefinitely.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
I agree they should change the rules too. If the banks assets are shown at zero% but they do in fact have value, then they should be able to show value . The old rules didn't make a lot of sense to me.
The value, last I read was $.30 on the $1.00 and no one will buy them..that is up until the Treasury came forward with their plan.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:44 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,282,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfastnoodle View Post
You know, it won't kill you to actually read the news before posting stuff. I don't really have much expectation when it comes to this
forum as most posters here seem to thoroughly lack some of the most basic training in science&logic. But seriously,
check your source first. No wonder the people you badmouth are publishing on journals and respected newspapers, and you guys are
posting stuff and acting smart on an anonymous forum.
It's funny that you say that... because from what I recall, it was a lot of these "respected" newspapers, journalists, experts, etc. that pumped up the bubble, sold these assets, and said it'll last forever since they effectively "eliminated" risk.

Little be known, the guys writing on the "anonymous" boards and sub-forums (contrarians) were talking about the eventual collapse, and how what the experts were preaching was flawed. Of course we all know who was right.

I would suggest instead of trusting the "Brand" and whatever they say, that you trust your own analysis from multiple sources.

I understand what they are trying to do with the new rules... Basically for those assets that have not defaulted... the expected cash flows are still the same so therefore they still have the same values. BUT, the problem is, is that it is STILL a ticking time bomb and the original values ARE based on flawed analysis and therefore should be discounted.

This is not good, and basically they'll sell this "junk" stuff to our silly government at a higher "value". Great for banks.... but once again bad for taxpayers.

-chuck22b
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics