Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 10:00 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times

Advertisements

Anybody have an idea why this happened?

After completing our taxes, TurboTax automatically included quarterly vouchers. Anybody have an idea why? We owed money but we're both W-2 wage earners. There's no reason for us to pay quarterly IN ADDITION to Uncle Sam taking taxes out monthly. Why did TurboTax do that?!

If you've got an answer, I'd like to hear it. THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 07:16 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,601 times
I'm not sure, but did you have to pay an underpayment penalty? If you did, then maybe Turbo Tax figured that you would want to pay quarterly taxes in addition to your W2 withholding to avoid the penalty last year.

Some income sources (interest from bank accounts, stock dividends, capital gains, etc.) do not withhold taxes which means you owe tax at years end. If the amount is enough you may have to pay the penalty for not withholding enough to cover the tax burden of those incomes.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:09 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
I'm not sure, but did you have to pay an underpayment penalty? If you did, then maybe Turbo Tax figured that you would want to pay quarterly taxes in addition to your W2 withholding to avoid the penalty last year.
I looked from beginning to end to see if I was penalized for the amount I owed this year but no, I did not see an underpayment penalty. Our interest from investments were not significant amounts. <shrug> I'm scratching my head!

Quote:
Some income sources (interest from bank accounts, stock dividends, capital gains, etc.) do not withhold taxes which means you owe tax at years end. If the amount is enough you may have to pay the penalty for not withholding enough to cover the tax burden of those incomes.
You know, after doing research I came up with the same conclusion. I'm already at "single status" for my W-4 and I believe my husband should be, too. Jesus, I guess our next option is to have 0 exemptions instead!

This is very very depressing!!

Old 04-03-2009, 10:43 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
We always have to pay extra taxes every year, although not enough to be penalized. Turbotax always prints quarterly vouchers for us. We'd rather pay a lump sum once a year in April, but Turbotax probably assumes most Americans would rather space their payments out throughout the year.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:09 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
It does that automatically if your withholding amount was less than your total tax. I would just ignore it.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:56 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
The US is a pay-as-you-go tax system with quarterly tax bills. When you're an employee, your employer is making those quarterly payments on your behalf. If you had investment income, for example, you'd be responsible for quarterly payments in order to avoid underpayment penalties. I think that's why TurboTax kicks out the quarterly vouchers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics